The Fabelmans recording session photos

Maestro

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

I hope there will be another score after The Fabelmans just to round up the collaboration to 30 long features

Since 2015 we've had three Spielberg movies with a Williams score and three without...we need another to tip the scales!

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Everyone knows that William Ross is actually the moniker used by several orchestrators, arrangers and additional composers that actually write the music in Williams' movies, while JW himself is busy taking pics with the cast and crew and going on promotional tours.

That doesn't explain why we sometimes still see a 70 year old JW.

4 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I hope there will be another score after The Fabelmans just to round up the collaboration to 30 long features

Fabelmans 2: My life as a rich white dude.  

Hard to say but I can see JW doing more films, just not Star Wars. Something without a deadline and/or a mentally deranged gungan for a director who changed a nearly three hour movie every five minutes. I can see how that can be frustrating for anybody at any age, not just him. And I know directors are prone to do that kind of stuff like Ridley Scott, but I honestly think Abrams really didn't know what he was doing. He's just very enthusiastic.

I know its a complete fantasy but I would love a JW video game score. Howard Shore did one, Bruce Broughton did a few I think. Anyway, hopefully we can still see him do smaller and/or shorter stuff like Dear Basketball.

On 19/03/2022 at 6:02 AM, Maestro said:

Looks like a certain somebody was at Sony this week...

IMG_2243.PNG

Why is he posing with Woody Allen?

😎

On 19/03/2022 at 5:45 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Holy moly, Williams and Spielberg look like brothers in that pic. Williams looks incredible.

I want to know what his diet is!😍

But, is it complete?

I guess we'll have to.get.the FYC.😅😜😛😞

Hang on, were these pics taken before or after Vienna?

I have only just recovered from Vienna and that 90-year-old has already been in the recording studio testing a celeste.

No jet-lag, nothing?

Maybe I need to rethink my pace of life...

He did give that interview in Vienna where he said he'd be coming back to finish Fabelmans, right? So the pics were probably after, unless they split up the recording sessions or something. I wouldn't know if that's likely.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

He did give that interview in Vienna where he said he'd be coming back to finish Fabelmans, right?

Right....

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

So the pics were probably after, unless they split up the recording sessions or something. 

Finish = we did some before, now we have to go back and finish.  So, you know, split up....

Oh, I don't think he'd use that phrasing if that was the case.  He's probably say "I have to return to California to start recording Steven's new film"

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah possibly, like you said we don't really know. Glad they've already recorded some of it anyway.

I said we don't know if those two exact photos were taken before or after Vienna.  I completely interpreted his statement in the interview to imply they had recorded some cues before he left for Vienna, and when he returned they were going to record the rest. 

I didn't think there was anything ambiguous about what he said, but here we are. 

Either way, it is either done or in the final stages--so, all good.  I say take a couple more weeks so there is a near-final edit of Indy to score.  

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

He's repeatedly said he's doing it, as recently as last week in Vienna. 

You mean the week before last week.

Last week he may have already been finishing to record Fabelmans.

5 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Sunday the 13th of March is last week as far as I'm concerned. Wasn't two days ago, it was last week.

But when was the interview recorded?

I'm not talking about any interview, at the Vienna concerts on the 12/13 March he introduced the Indiana Jones pieces and mentioned that he's working on Indiana Jones 5, basically saying that if Harrison Ford could do another one at 75 he'll "give it a try".

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Gibster said:

Is JW performing on this or is it more likely he was instructing him?

3DD936B9-695A-48C5-98FB-406A7A731273.jpeg

I read that dude was teaching Williams to play chopsticks.  

To answer your question, Williams is, in all liklihood, just giving some notes.  

16 hours ago, Tom said:

To answer your question, Williams is, in all liklihood, just giving some notes.  

No doubt, but is he giving the notes to the other player or to the recording equipment?

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No doubt, but is he giving the notes to the other player or to the recording equipment?

I set myself up for that one.  

Also, here is a recent article with a tiny bit more info on the theme of the movie:

https://collider.com/the-fablemans-limited-release-date-steven-spielberg/

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

This seems like the sort of movie where we might get Williams's score in the trailer.  Shouldn't there be a trailer soon?  

The movie releases in November, I'm actually surprised we haven't had a trailer yet.

Going by recent Spielberg fourth-quarter releases, the first Lincoln trailer was in September for a November release, Bridge of Spies in June for an October release, and The Post in November for a December release...

The Post had the quirk of being rushed out, though, while Fabelmans is done so I'd hope we get a look (and hopefully listen) before October. But I could see them waiting it out.

I'm guessing he may do a world premiere at the New York Film Festival in October like he did for Lincoln and BoS so maybe a September trailer before that. Or maybe it shows up this afternoon. 

8ogq.gif

You're right, although that was also its own funny case with it being in the can for so long because of COVID. First Oscar preview in March, teaser in April? I guess the full trailer and heavier promotion starting in September?

It depends on the commercial prospects too. Like West Side Story is a known property so they hoped to build up hype all year, even though it didn't pan out. That would never happen anyway with Fabelmans, even if it's a surprise Lincoln-size hit, so it might make sense for them to wait until September as people start getting their heads in award season. 

Looking back, I guess the first War Horse teaser was in June, and that was a December movie. So who knows. Again, feel like it could easily drop any second or not for another 2-3 months.