Do you think John Williams works in his hotel rooms?

BuzzLightyear

As he has mentioned in some interviews, he tries to write every day.

So I've often wondered if John Williams works in his hotel rooms while he's on concert tour, like in Vienna or somewhere else?

What do you think? Does he compose on tour, even without piano? Or does he maybe do orchestrations and things like that? 

I recall the “Going to School” duet from Geisha for piano and cello was written in a hotel room. I think Yo-Yo Ma said in an interview that he was in his hotel room when Williams surprised him with the manuscript for it.   And I imagine he always stays in a hotel room with a piano… maybe.  I think most of the presidential suites in big hotels have a piano.. well at least the Grand Hyatt in Seoul does. I’m sure in major cities his staff could find a room with a piano 

found it.. well Yo-Yo Ma doesn’t say if Williams was staying in the same hotel - just that Yo-Yo received the piece when he was in a hotel  Maybe not as they were both in LA. … from 2:30

https://youtu.be/2Bgi6unlPFY

Yo-Yo Ma was in an hotel, not Williams. 

But in old interviews he stated that he requested a piano on his room, so he could keep working in whatever he was writting. 

And the place he stays at Tanglewood also provides him with a piano, I think.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

But in old interviews he stated that he requested a piano on his room, so he could keep working in whatever he was writting.

Next time he comes to Vienna I'll have to ring up the Imperial and ask what a stay in the room next to his costs.

35 minutes ago, karelm said:

When he's on a family vacation, yes, he requests a grand piano in the room.  It's his version of "vacation" to play music.  This was described by his family members and the Newman family who are family friends.  His version of a vacation is writing music.

I wonder when he was last on a traditional family vacation. In the past 5 or so years he seemed to be busier than ever with either composing a film score, or conducting concerts (in 2020 perhaps, but it's highly unlikely given the pandemic). Maybe he had more vacations when his children were younger. 

What's certain is that he was on a ten-day holiday in Hawaii between April 6 and April 16, 1976. He got back on the 16th and wrote a thank you-letter to Alfred Hitchcock, and then went to New York for ten days. 

9 hours ago, JTW said:

I wonder when he was last on a traditional family vacation. In the past 5 or so years he seemed to be busier than ever with either composing a film score, or conducting concerts (in 2020 perhaps, but it's highly unlikely given the pandemic). Maybe he had more vacations when his children were younger. 

I read in some interview awhile back that he said his wife, Samantha Winslow, has a place (i.e.a cabin?) up in the Berkshire mountains, so I wouldn't be surprised if he combines his Tanglewood concerts with a visit there now and then. Providing it's still easily accessible for a 90-year-old.

13 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

And the place he stays at Tanglewood also provides him with a piano, I think.

Hasn't he said that he usually brings his own piano to Tanglewood?

9 hours ago, karelm said:

When he's on a family vacation, yes, he requests a grand piano in the room.  It's his version of "vacation" to play music.  This was described by his family members and the Newman family who are family friends.  His version of a vacation is writing music.

Yes, didn't he compose parts of Catch during a holiday?

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

In the mid eighties when he was visiting Wales he stayed in a four berth static caravan and he had a Yamaha keyboard plugged in just to keep going in case he had any cool ideas.

There is even footage of this:

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

In the mid eighties when he was visiting Wales he stayed in a four berth static caravan and he had a Yamaha keyboard plugged in just to keep going in case he had any cool ideas.

What was he doing in Wales (except, maybe, to get inspired by Sao Guan)?

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

In the mid eighties when he was visiting Wales he stayed in a four berth static caravan and he had a Yamaha keyboard plugged in just to keep him going in case he had any cool ideas.