Videorecordings of John Williams' concert work performances

E-Wan

I really enjoy Rounds but had never seen this particular performance before. Thanks for sharing! It's a great classical guitar piece that runs the instrument through its paces while also developing a sweet motif.

23 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

On that topic, does anyone know if Soundings is in its full form on the Disney Concert Hall promo dvd?

Unfortunately no, there is almost 9-minute excerpt only.

Here is the complete version conducted by Gustavo Dudamel:

That's too bad, Williams conducting is a better performance than Dudamel. I always wondered if the first recording is actually the original version and he added more to it later. There was also a video someplace that had him standing outside the hall talking about the inspiration for the piece, which was pretty cool to see as well. Anyway, besides the new violin concerto this is my favorite concert piece of his.

Love this piece too, I can't wait to hear the prelude. I do feel like it got a bums rush though for this performance, but still nice to hear.

I think you (Jay), myself and Miguel are the few on here who are really into his concert stuff. I was just watching the video recording of the flute concerto that Slatkin did with Detroit within the last ten years. It used to be online, along with the oboe concerto, but idk where they went.

WILLIAMS Maestoso-Risoluto-Presto from Trumpet Concerto - "The President's Own" U.S. Marine Band (December 14, 2016)
Trumpet: Tom Hooten (who later recorded the concerto and Theme from Born on the Fourth of July for CD release)

And from the same concert...

WILLIAMS Fanfare, “For ‘The President’s Own’” - "The President's Own" United States Marine Band

And another...

WILLIAMS Music for Brass - "The President's Own" United States Marine Band

There are many instances of 'official' performance videos out there that do not have an official release -- i.e. the host or ensemble has shared it on their video platforms.

For example, there's this video of "A Young Person's Guide to the Cello" for the late Lynn Harrell, shared by the host, The HearthBeats Fund Raiser:

9 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

That's too bad, Williams conducting is a better performance than Dudamel. I always wondered if the first recording is actually the original version and he added more to it later. There was also a video someplace that had him standing outside the hall talking about the inspiration for the piece, which was pretty cool to see as well. Anyway, besides the new violin concerto this is my favorite concert piece of his.

Here is the video:

Thanks for sharing, Jay!

There are some John Williams' concert works (or movements of them) played by original soloists (but not conducted by John Williams):

Markings for Solo Violin, String Orchestra and Harp (2015)

Anne-Sophie Mutter, violin
Staatskapelle Berlin conducted by Manfred Honeck

Conversations (2013)

Gloria Cheng, piano
Mvt. III. Chet and Miles (world premiere)

On Willows and Birches (Concerto for Harp and Orchestra) (2009)

Ann Hobson Pilot, harp
Kindred Spirits Orchestra conducted by Kristian Alexander

Concerto for Cello and Orchestra (1994)

Yo-Yo Ma, cello

National Symphony Orchestra conducted by ??? (anybody knows???)
Mvt. II. Blues

Mvt. IV. Song

1 hour ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Wait, what on earth is this? This is not in the grand archive of JWFAN.

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34540-john-williams’s-“fanfare-for-solo-trumpet-to-celebrate-the-reopening-of-david-geffen-hall”

23 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

That is awesome. What year was this?

2007.  This reminds me, we should have a sister thread to this one being "Video recordings of John Williams' rehearsals" because that's a unique perspective most of us don't get a chance to see, the Maestro at work in sculpting the performance and his rehearsal etiquette.  Unfortunately, it is very hard to get footage of this because it's generally not allowed, and I got mine by sneaking it.  Still, a treasure trove to be mined from his rehearsals because he also sometimes tells a story of an event that to him, was just an amusing anecdote, but to us, adds details to a pivotal part of our childhood experiences.

I have found another videorecordings of John Williams' concert work performances:

Conversations (2013)
Mvt. I. Phinaes and Mumbette (Simone Pedroni, piano)

Concerto for Cello and Orchestra (1994)
Tivoli Copenhagen Phil conducted by Lawrence Foster (Toke Møldrup, cello) (2016)

Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra (1985)
WDR Sinfonieorchester conducted by Michael Sanderling (Hans Nickel, tuba) (2014)

• 1 month later...