John Williams’s “Fanfare for Solo Trumpet To Celebrate the Reopening of David Geffen Hall”

Marian Schedenig

Huh! If it's legit, seems like another surprise composition to me. Cumbersome title for a fanfare, but nice little ditty.

Wow! What is their marketing department's deal that we're just hearing about this 3 days later!? 

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Did I miss a discussion somewhere, or has Williams written another surprise piece?

Solo trumpet, interesting choice by the Maestro. 

Thank you for posting!

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thanks should go to @TownerFan for posting it on Twitter:

And to the New York Philharmonic for posting it on YouTube. 
Thank you for posting it here. 

23 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have been to this hall. One of the snootiest places on earth.

The old Avery Fisher Hall was the first time I ever attended a John Williams concert in 2004 and where I met the Maestro at another concert years later, so it’ll always have a special place in my heart. 

I wonder if John Williams and David Geffen ever worked closely together on anything in the past. Obviously, Geffen is part of DreamWorks, and Spielberg is too, so there's that connection. But off the top of my head, I can't think of any instance where they both were involved in some concrete project. Anyone?

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Many of JW's OSTs were on Geffen Records.

True, but I wonder how much interaction there was between them, if any.

11 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

So glad Williams chose to shorten the name of this piece from it's working title of "Fanfare for Solo Trumpet To Celebrate the Reopening of David Geffen Hall After Being Closed Since March 2020 And Undergoing a $550 Million Renovation That Was Originally Scheduled To Be Completed In 2024 But Finished 2 Years Ahead of Time."

I dunno, it doesn't look quite finished.

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but I wonder how much interaction there was between them, if any.

At least, to me the piece doesn't sound like what I would call personal. But I might be mistaken.

59 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At least, to me the piece doesn't sound like what I would call personal. But I might be mistaken.

Oh, certainly not. It was just a related association I got when the name Geffen was involved.

It's sort of nice to hear once, but seems to me to lack a bit of memorable structure. But I should point out that his 'looser' jazzy side isn't really for me, so I'm probably not the target listener.

Perhaps it could sound better, more robust if he composed it for duo or trio... 

But he's the Maestro, that's the way he wanted it.

As far as Williams fanfares go, this is definitely not among my favorites (in large part because I'm not an enormous fan of completely monophonic music). That said, it's still pretty good -- I like how reminiscent parts of it are of JW's Trumpet Concerto! As always, it's nice to see JW is still keeping busy.

15 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

It's sort of nice to hear once, but seems to me to lack a bit of memorable structure. But I should point out that his 'looser' jazzy side isn't really for me, so I'm probably not the target listener.

Why would anybody write a memorable piece for the reopening of the David Geffen Hall? Is this an event that people want to be reminded of forever?

Declaration of Independence? Yes.

End of Civil War? Yes.

Reopening of David Geffen Hall? No.