John Williams’s “Fanfare for Solo Trumpet To Celebrate the Reopening of David Geffen Hall”

Marian Schedenig

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

They named a hall after David Geffen?-😒

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Geffen_Hall

The facility, designed by Max Abramovitz, was originally named Philharmonic Hall and was renamed Avery Fisher Hall in honor of philanthropist Avery Fisher, who donated $10.5 million ($61 million today) to the orchestra in 1973. In November 2014, Lincoln Center officials announced Fisher's name would be removed from the Hall so that naming rights could be sold to the highest bidder as part of a $500 million fund-raising campaign to refurbish the Hall.[1] In 2015, the Hall acquired its present name after David Geffen donated $100 million to the Lincoln Center.[2][3]

Can you imagine working your ass off your entire life, busting your ass, ignoring your family, they hate you for never being there. So now you're rich, but you have nothing. How are you going to leave a legacy without your family? I know! Donate to Lincoln Center! The cultural heart of NYC! You're loaded, just throw a few million their way and they'll name a concert hall after you. Ahhh, now you can die peacefully knowing your name will live on...

...for only 20 years. Then they just wipe your name off the building and sell the new name to the highest bidder. 

Seems to be a very US thing. I didn't know it was the same as Avery Fisher Hall, which I seem to remember from my visit to NY in 2014, apparently just a couple of months before it was renamed again.

7 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Can you imagine working your ass off your entire life, busting your ass, ignoring your family, they hate you for never being there. So now you're rich, but you have nothing. How are you going to leave a legacy without your family? I know! Donate to Lincoln Center! The cultural heart of NYC! You're loaded, just throw a few million their way and they'll name a concert hall after you. Ahhh, now you can die peacefully knowing your name will live on...

...for only 20 years. Then they just wipe your name off the building and sell the new name to the highest bidder. 

It’ll always be AVERY FISHER HALL to me. That’s where I met Howard Shore at a John Williams concert. 

11 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Nope, at least in theory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Geffen

In 2015, Geffen pledged $100 million toward renovation of what was then called Avery Fisher Hall, part of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York. His gift, which amounted to about 20% of the hall's renovation costs, gave him naming rights in perpetuity over the building, now known as David Geffen Hall.[38]

(emphasis mine)

2 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

...also, it took them a half a BILLION dollars to renovate the hall? 

It only took John Williams one trumpet to write a fanfare.

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

...also, it took them a half a BILLION dollars to renovate the hall? 

It sounds like they practically completely re-built it from scratch.

Also, they had to pay Williams for the fanfare.

41 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It sounds like they practically completely re-built it from scratch.

Also, they had to pay Williams for the fanfare.

And, there goes the other half.

On 24/03/2022 at 11:37 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

It was 42 years, not 20 years.  And hey, Avery Fisher's children got $15 million out of the Geffen deal :) 

EDIT: oh you meant 20 years after he died.  got it.

Fisher had a reputation for modesty. John Mazzola, the general manager of Lincoln Center, had to persuade him to permit Philharmonic Hall to be renamed after him. He protested that no one paid attention to such things and quipped, "Who's Major Deegan?" (a reference to the obscure namesake of the Major Deegan Expressway in the Bronx).[16]

Four decades later Fisher proved prophetic when Lincoln Center officials announced their plan to remove his name from the Hall in favor of a new donor. On November 13, 2014 they laid out a timetable for naming rights to be sold to the highest bidder in a drive to raise a total of $500 million toward renovation set to commence in 2019. Said Lincoln Center chairwoman Katherine Farley, "It will be an opportunity for a major name on a great New York jewel." Fisher's three children accepted $15 million in return for acquiescing to the deal.[15] The Hall was renamed David Geffen Hall in September 2015 after Geffen pledged a $100 million donation to the Lincoln Center renovation.[17]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Fisher

On 25/03/2022 at 12:59 AM, bruce marshall said:

They named a hall after David Geffen?-😒

My thoughts, exactly.

On 25/03/2022 at 1:05 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

"... naming rights could be sold to the highest bidder".

What profit is there for a man, if he gains the entire world, but loses his soul?

Some people are beyond the dreams of avarice.

I know little about Geffen, but is his motive for getting his name on the hall that relevant in our context, i.e. the context of the hall? If they need $100m and can get it simply by offering to put somebody's name on the hall, it's probably a fine deal for them.

I feel sorry for Avery Fisher. If a hall is named after someone, it shouldn't be changed ever again.