John Williams, Gustavo Dudamel and Anne-Sophie Mutter at LA Phil's Annual Gala Concert - Sept. 27, 2022

Ricard

I would really like to attend this, not least because I've never seen the LA Phil's concert hall in person. But you have to be a member before you can buy tickets and I'm not sure I want to do that without knowing my chances of getting tickets. (Otherwise, I'd do better to just support my local major orchestra, the San Francisco Symphony.)

Anyone buy tickets to this yet and can tell us whether there are any seats left, or how they're going to sell them?

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So - who is going to this? 

I purchased seats - but have since let the missus sample the Violin Concerto and - despite only listening to a small portion - she was not very impressed with it.  I am still re-listening to it to become more familiar with it - but will likely defer to her if we actually go. 

It would definitely help if Otium restaurant around the corner was open on Tuesdays!

I guess a follow-up question is dress-code.  There's a gala portion (which is not included with our tickets) which indicates black-tie optional.  The Walt Disney Concert Hall indicates on their site that people should wear whatever makes them comfortable (even casual wear), but would that apply to this event?  With the hot weather coming back and temps in high-90s, I am more reluctant to dress up any.  

29 minutes ago, atmicwedgy said:

So - who is going to this? 

I purchased seats - but have since let the missus sample the Violin Concerto and - despite only listening to a small portion - she was not very impressed with it.  I am still re-listening to it to become more familiar with it - but will likely defer to her if we actually go. 

It would definitely help if Otium restaurant around the corner was open on Tuesdays!

I guess a follow-up question is dress-code.  There's a gala portion (which is not included with our tickets) which indicates black-tie optional.  The Walt Disney Concert Hall indicates on their site that people should wear whatever makes them comfortable (even casual wear), but would that apply to this event?  With the hot weather coming back and temps in high-90s, I am more reluctant to dress up any.  

Go to the concert.  Have the missus check out the bar during the concerto and enjoy the rest of the concert.  

Hi I havent had chance to attend a JW concert yet. I am contemplating whether to visit LA next week given tickets are still available. Aside from the list of music will be performed (eg Concerto No.2 and Princess Leia etc), does anyone know whether he is likely to perform other SW music based on your experience? Perhaps during encore? Love all his music even just really hoping to hear Imperial March live. Thanks 

3 hours ago, ObiWanKenobi2017 said:

Hi I havent had chance to attend a JW concert yet. I am contemplating whether to visit LA next week given tickets are still available. Aside from the list of music will be performed (eg Concerto No.2 and Princess Leia etc), does anyone know whether he is likely to perform other SW music based on your experience? Perhaps during encore? Love all his music even just really hoping to hear Imperial March live. Thanks 

Oh do it!  The Maestro isn't getting any younger!  I have so many personal memories around JW and non are regretted.   The first time I saw him in concert was in the mid 1990's and I still remember it as a major deal.  

On 24/09/2022 at 11:07 AM, ObiWanKenobi2017 said:

Thanks guys! It looks like he will conduct the Concerto No. 2 only. But hopefully he will come back for the encore. 

When I attended the LA Phil tribute concert conducted by Dudamel, he sat in the front row the whole time.  Then came to conduct one or two encores or so but it was fun just watching his reactions to the music and thunderous applause even if he wasn't the conductor.  Who knows, maybe you'll end up sitting next to him.

40 minutes ago, karelm said:

When I attended the LA Phil tribute concert conducted by Dudamel, he sat in the front row the whole time.  Then came to conduct one or two encores or so but it was fun just watching his reactions to the music and thunderous applause even if he wasn't the conductor.  Who knows, maybe you'll end up sitting next to him.

At which point you can say to him.  "Sir, would you mind keeping it down."  

I would have assumed there would be private bathrooms for conductors/performers.  I guess Williams is a man of the people.  

I think I would stay quiet at the urinal but then nervously say hi while washing hands.  

7 hours ago, Tom said:

I would have assumed there would be private bathrooms for conductors/performers.  I guess Williams is a man of the people.  

I think I would stay quiet at the urinal but then nervously say hi while washing hands.  

I would probably remain inactive with excitement and let not a single drop.

26 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Now I'm surprised (and relieved) that nobody has posted a pic of his… baton yet.

...or asked "Did you compose the score to Free Willy?".

21 hours ago, Tom said:

I failed to mention he was an audience member, not a conductor.  I think the occasion was a gala concert or Dudamel's first season, maybe Salonen's last concert - Tom Hanks and wife were in the audience too.  I forgot what the occasion was but there were VIPs in the audience.  I'm sure JW could have gone backstage if he needed to but was just a regular joe.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

A New Hope theme?

Carrie Fisher What GIF

Mea culpa.  Ya, couldn't quite remember at the time what the piece was called, (Disney officially designating the movie as 'Star Wars: A New Hope' didn't help my brain any).
It occurred to me that I really haven't heard it that often recently.   Instead we usually get the "Throne Room and End Title".  So I was rather happy they included it.

Update: 'it' == "Star Wars Main Theme"  (thanks for the reminder BB-8 ;) )

1 hour ago, atmicwedgy said:

Mea culpa.  Ya, couldn't quite remember at the time what the piece was called, (Disney officially designating the movie as 'Star Wars: A New Hope' didn't help my brain any).
It occurred to me that I really haven't heard it that often recently.   Instead we usually get the "Thone Room and End Title".  So I was rather happy they included it.

Ah, so you got the Star Wars Main Theme.

Update:

I just checked the terminology on the original 1977 vinyl, and it reads "Main Title" while the themes are outlined in a separate text, which even describes a "Ben Kenobi's Theme".

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Alan Rickman liked this.

I know, but he's dead.

I don't get professional criticisms of new music.  The concerto is a challenging piece for both orchestra and listener by design.  If you don't get it, just keep your it to yourself. 

Having listened to it multiple times, I think it is Williams's best concert work.  It is structured to take you on a journey and has some really original moments but also enough "classical" elements to firmly place it in the grand tradition of orchestral violin concertos.  

On 29/09/2022 at 5:30 PM, Ricard said:

"The First Violin Concerto was written in 1996"....big mistake!