Denis Villeneuve Talks About His Inspiration Steven Spielberg

A24

15 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

So that's where he keeps it nowadays! He should excavate some for his films. It's been a long time since Spielberg made a film as good as Incendies or Sicario...

The BFG was not so long ago...

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Give it a rest, mate. Spielberg has more talent in his arse, than you have in your entire body.

There's more genuine talented filmmaking in one minute of 1941, than there is is the whole of DUNE.

I grew up with Spielberg, but I don't let that manipulate my judgement too much - Villeneuve is the better director.

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Scott, Spielberg and Kubrick are definitely his heroes.

Yes, but let's not forget the undeniable Chris Nolan influence.

All these broad comparisons aside, I think Villeneuve is more obviously the "next Nolan", though he does a lot of things better than Nolan does. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Well, yeah, but those (and Lean and Hitchock) are the requisite heroes of every single living director.

Really? Spielberg, and Kubrick? Hell,  yeah. Scott? Effectively, he's made two films.

He's a competent director, but...one of the greats? Don't think so.

7 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, yeah, but those (and Lean and Hitchock) are the requisite heroes of every single living director.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Yes, but let's not forget the undeniable Chris Nolan influence.

You probably were thinking of the Batman movies, right? Nope! Just like me Villeneuve opts for Dunkirk AKA JWFan's least favorite Villenneuve flick. 

24 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Really? I never heard Tarantino or Woody Allen praise Ridley Scott.

But I know what you mean...

8 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Really? I never heard Tarantino or Woody Allen praise Ridley Scott.

I saw a roundtable that included Ridley Scott and Tarantino, and Scott was sitting there like the king of the bunch. At one point, Tarantino said he couldn't wait to see Prometheus "because it was Ridley dealing with Alien again!" He was all but beaming.

17 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I saw a roundtable that included Ridley Scott and Tarantino, and Scott was sitting there like the king of the bunch. At one point, Tarantino said he couldn't wait to see Prometheus "because it was Ridley dealing with Alien again!" He was all but beaming.

I based my comment on that round table talk. He looked very uninterested when Scott was talking. It didn't feel as if Scott is a hero to Tarantino, quite the opposite. I'm pretty sure Tarantino feels Scott wasted his talent after Alien. That's why he was happy Scott was going making Prometheus.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

However, he's more consistently great than Scott and Spielberg. Scott has done a pile of weak movies in the 90s, like for example... G.I. Jane.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

Well, Tarantino was flattering Scott, but he didn't say that he was ultimately disappointed by Prometheus.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

His name does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Spielberg and Kubrick.

Yes, he does absolutely.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

You probably were thinking of the Batman movies, right? Nope! Just like me Villeneuve opts for Dunkirk AKA JWFan's least favorite Villenneuve flick. 

What's your point? Villeneuve just clearly draws from the aesthetic palette that Nolan built over the years, and has shaped his own career after Nolan's (mostly pre-Dunkirk), where he takes "arthouse"-esque sensibilities and applies it in service to bigger blockbuster tentpole features and sets.

7 hours ago, KK said:

What's your point? Villeneuve just clearly draws from the aesthetic palette that Nolan built over the years, and has shaped his own career after Nolan's (mostly pre-Dunkirk), where he takes "arthouse"-esque sensibilities and applies it in service to bigger blockbuster tentpole features and sets.

As far as I know Nolan writes his movies himself and Villeneuve doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

As far as I know Nolan writes his movies himself and Villeneuve doesn't. 

Nolan has only written the last few himself, and it shows. Tenet was a mess, and Dunkirk was a big step down.

I've lost a lot of the love I used to have for writer/directors. Very few are actually outstanding at both.

44 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Why are we even comparing Villenueve to Spielberg of all people? I can sorta (but only sorta) get comparisons to Scott and certainly to Nolan. But Spielberg?

All I know is that the aforementioned directors are Villeneuve's heroes. It's because of them that he is making movies like Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. Close Encounters and Blade Runner are amongst his favorite movies and the reason why he wanted to be a movie director. Villeneuve does have his own style though. He is certainly not copying the movie language of the '70s or '80s.

I wonder why nobody compares Villeneuve with George Lucas? I mean, if you are going to call Villeneuve's movies cold and distant ...

5b7076094152156cde3467a1a18b3cf5761e02c9

... then this could be a Villeneuve movie. Cold, distant and empty sets ...

37 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I don't understand how anyone can hate on Spielberg. Sure he's made some clunkers, but anyone making movies for as long as he has would. His best movies are almost immaculate, his less than best movies are still very good, and he has made some all time classics. What's to hate?

DV is a good director, but not on Spielberg's level yet. His movies are also cold and distant.

When was the point in history, when people, who do not like something were called "haters"?

I think Hook isn't a good movie. Actually it is pretty bad. But I neither hate it nor do I hate Spielberg for making it. I just don't like it. Why am I now a Spielberg hater????

Same in the Hans Zimmer discussion. I don't get it.

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

All I know is that the aforementioned directors are Villeneuve's heroes. It's because of them that he is making movies like Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. Close Encounters and Blade Runner are amongst his favorite movies and the reason why he wanted to be a movie director. Villeneuve does have his own style though. He is certainly not copying the movie language of the '70s or '80s.

I wonder why nobody compares Villeneuve with George Lucas? I mean, if you are going to call Villeneuve's movies cold and distant ...

Just because Spielberg is a hero of Villenueve doesn’t mean he’s actually Spielbergian.

The Lucas comparison…Lucas was always a bland director: he’s more of a businessperson who dabbled in filmmaking, and even his good films succeed more on the strength of their screenplays than their mise-en-scene. I don’t think that’s fair towards Villenueve, who I think made a brilliant motion picture in Dune.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think Hook isn't a good movie. Actually it is pretty bad. But I neither hate it nor do I hate Spielberg for making it. I just don't like it. Why am I now a Spielberg hater????

You're no more a Spielberg hater than I am a Nolan hater.

A "hater" is someone who takes great offence at not just the work of another, but their reasons for doing that work - their whole aesthetic. It extends, sadly, to a persons' private life, and the choices that they make, the people whom they associate with, and the principles and beliefs that underline that life.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Same in the Hans Zimmer discussion. I don't get it.

Keep that man's name out of your fucking mouth!

32 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Just because Spielberg is a hero of Villenueve doesn’t mean he’s actually Spielbergian.

That would be ...

j-j-abrams-god-particle.jpg

Heil Spielberg!

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

He does it very well…

I've never seen an Abrams long-take as brilliant and as intricate, as the scene of Brody, Hooper, and Vaughan, talking in front of the vandalised billboard, in JAWS. That is genius. That is cinema.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He fucked up Star Trek. He fucked up Star Wars. What else is he going to fuck up?

After The Rise Of Skywalker, is there anyone who still wants to hire him? :conf:

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

After The Rise Of Skywalker, is there anyone who still wants to hire him? :conf:

Well, it made money...

Although it shows the film's lack of staying power than an R-rated remake of Taxi Driver beat it at the box-office!

If I told you after The Force Awakens, that the concluding part of the trilogy would be outdone at the box-office by an R-rated remake of Taxi Driver, would you believe it?