Moon Knight - Hesham Nazih

JNHFan2000

First track released. It's the end credits track

Just watched the first episode of Moon Knight. I thought it was brilliant!
Oscar Isaac is terrific in the role.

As for the music. Hesham Nazih gets a sole credit for the music. I don't know him but he did an amazing job. Big orchestra, some electronics and ethnic Egyptian instruments.
The best thing though is the choir. It's used in a lot of different ways. And it's mindblowing. I loved it.

I was able to find some 2-minute long piece, which I assume is the credits track you mentioned.

Cool stuff. Sounds a little like "trailer music" stuff to my ears - but I'd take this over those doom and gloom stuff that were trending in 2010's any day. Looking forward to hearing more.

Yes, Isaac is fantastic, but the score is great too. Some of the intricacies of the FULL BLOWN orchestration can't be heard through the sound effects. The end title track is very Marvel but does not necessarily represent the complexity of the rest of the score which has some amazing choral stuff - not surprising to find Nicholas Dodd credited as well as Leigh Philips.

Anyone wants to question Nazih's credits - this video from Jon Broxton will undo those, I'd recommend starting at 1:31:00 but there's great stuff before that.

The music overall in the episode (songs and score) was all over the place.  Like that Wham song for the car chase, that didn't really work for me.  I'm guessing they were trying to do that usual "first episode of a new show" thing and throw a bunch of stuff out to hook the widest amount of people, and the show will find its own voice quickly as the season continues.

The score in the first episode was farely sparse, but I was never annoyed by it, it was fine.  Then we get to the end credits, which to me seemed VERY over the top, especially compared to what actually happened in the episode.  But maybe by the end of the season it will make perfect sense

Yes, the needle drops were annoying in episode 1.  I'd say the score, in the couple of places it was brought to the forefront was just functional but not exceptional at setting the dark/connection-to-the-ancient tone the series is going for.

• 2 weeks later...

Lot more grand scoring in the latest episode. I actually quite enjoyed the vocal work. Not so much the choral chanting but the soloists. And how the two interact.

It's not a brilliant show or anything but I rather enjoy the roffbeat tone and story. It's definitely one of the more entertaining Marvel series. Ethan Hawke is a very good villain.

Karol

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Main theme's not bad and I've already got the vague structure in my head, although the orchestration with full choir perhaps a little OTT.

Well that's Nicholas Dodd, if you mean the primary version of the main theme that was originally shared in advance of the show. He was David Arnold's orchestrator for many years on stuff like Stargate and Independence Day, to say nothing of stuff like Joel Goldsmith's Kull the Conqueror. Over-the-top is kinda his specialty. :)

Yavar

I've watched the three first episodes and the music is really nice even though a bit swallow some time in sound effects. I hope they won't wait until the end of the season to release just one album

I hope it might be released tomorrow, Morbius was late as week last week. 

And maybe they're doing it next week. That has happened with other Marvel shows as well.

It would be strange if they only released one album. That hasn't happened for a big Disney+ show. And Moon Knight's mysic is so strong that it would be a weird place to start

Same here. I really wanted this release and I'm kinda upset it's not here.

Now I'm hoping we will get a release after the finale that's the same length as 2 volumes.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with Nazih himself. Maybe he didn't like the 2 volumes release.

If we get a release after the finale we will get Moon Knight and Doctor Strange on the same day

Not sure where I heard/read it but I think there is 1 release coming either this week or next week on wednesday to not let Moon Knight or Dr. Strange overshadow each other.

16 hours ago, Stark said:

After listening to Nazih’s entire discography before the show’s release, as well as watching the show, I am massively disappointed this isn’t getting two OST albums.

At least the single volume album is a generous 91+ minutes!

Yavar

Looking at the tracktitles. I think it will be like this:

Episode 1: Tracks 1 - 6

Episode 2: Tracks 7 - 9 or 10

Episode 3: Tracks 9 or 10 - 15

Episode 4: Tracks 15 - 23

Episodes 5 & 6 are 24 - 33 I believe.

Glad to see not any of the songs have made it on the album.

Moon Knight tracks per episode:
Episode 1: 1 - 6
Episode 2: 7 - 9
Episode 3: 10 - 15
Episode 4: 16 - 18
Episode 5: 19 - 25
Episode 6: 26 - 33

For now if you put track 1 after track 6 you have a chronological order.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the recording/mixing.  This music really begs for a grand Abbey Road (or even AIR Lyndhurst or Watford) recording. Think Gods of Egypt, for example. As it stands, everything doesn't pack that punch, especially with the ambient synth effects. But I really like the music itself. There is nothing I dislike on the album but the fact it is bit monothematic makes it seem longer. But it is still one of the better Marvel scores for sure. I really like the main theme and how different vocal elements (especially the solos) are utilised. Solid stuff all around.

Karol

To be fair, the score is no entirely monothematic, as there is a recurring motif for Ethan Hawke's character, which has a couple of moments to shine on album:

0:56 on The Village, and the following Village Scales introduce the softer aparition of the theme

And then a cue like What Suit? develops the theme at the start until makes it bigger at 0:57

And it reoccurs in some more cues but yeah, apart from this, I don't think I found any other recurring theme. That's not entirely bad as the main theme is really well developed and quite memorable, but it does make the album feel a bit longer, and perhaps a bit of trimming is requiered to better enjoy it, but it's quite a great and fun score as it is.

Spoiler

It seems possible to me, that a portion of the reason they kept Steven alive, is to say that Steven is a part of him, and not something to be cured?

I get what you are saying about the mix - it sounds too packed and needs much more breathing space. This track is frigging sensational with the choral stuff but is so densely mixed as to make it almost incomprehensible - but still awesome as shit!

4 minutes ago, thestat said:

I get what you are saying about the mix - it sounds too packed and needs much more breathing space. This track is frigging sensational with the choral stuff but is so densely mixed as to make it almost incomprehensible - but still awesome as shit!

Mixing can really make a big difference. Some scores are really in need of some more breathing space being added to the sound to gain some clarity.

The Hawke theme is very explicit throughout the show but I think there are also some Steven-Marc variations. In any case, refreshing to have a score that is actually innovative and full-blown. I do wonder how Marvel took Diab's request for his collaborator, especially as this sounds more or less as free range mayhem with not much temp tracking. The Nicholas Dodd connection is also fascinating - did they dig him up cos he 'orchestrated' Stargate? The Arnold RA material is definitely here but most of the score is akin to what Alan Silvestri did on Mummy Returns. In any case - more of this Disney. Great to actually be excited by a new score and not to know what comes in the next track - such a refreshing thing.....

Watched the last episode which was really good (although the fifth is still my favourite). The music was really a strong point for the whole show, really hope to hear more of Nazih in the future

• 2 months later...
45 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Whoa, nice work! If you ever feel like identifying the missing score cues (where/what they are, how many, or even the length if you're willing) I'd be very interested!

Yavar

Thank you Yavar. I'm not sure how to go about that, as there really is quite a lot missing from the album. Episode 4 is especially under represented, with only the first three cues from the episode on the album and nothing past the first quarter or so. Episode 4 does have the same end credits music as Episode 1 (track 1 on the album) so at least I could include that. 

I also attempted to figure out the music that is used for the second half of the end credits of each episode, which is mostly cues re-used from those particular shows. But that too included several unreleased parts I couldn't identify, so I decided not to include them here.