What's your favourite stretch of 5 consecutive tracks from any MM JW expansion?

crumbs

Walking Home -> O Holy Night -> Star of Bethlehem -> Carol of the Bells -> Setting The Trap is fun

The section with the ticking clock motif is fun too Time Past / Saving Buckbeak -> Lupin’s Transformation -> Buckbeak Saves the Day / Watching the Past -> The Rescue of Sirius -> Sirius Says Goodbye / Turning Time Back

Losing E.T. -> E.T. is Alive -> The Rescue and Bike Chase -> The Departure -> End Credits

SImply the most majestic sample from a non-SW score to me.

The Burglar Sequence and Chasing Crooks -> Cat Rescue and Air Force One -> The Penthouse -> The Flying Sequence (Instrumental) -> Clark Loses his Nerve

Just for the beauty of the Flying Sequence

Befriending the Hippogriff -> Buckbeak's Flight -> The Grim / The Newspaper -> The Boggarts -> On the Bridge - Remembering Mother

Simply my favourite part of the Potter's scores

4 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Losing E.T. -> E.T. is Alive -> The Rescue and Bike Chase -> The Departure -> End Credits

SImply the most majestic sample from a non-SW score to me.

This was my first thuought, but then I decided Stay With Me is essential so that would bring it to six tracks

25 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

The Burglar Sequence and Chasing Crooks -> Cat Rescue and Air Force One -> The Penthouse -> The Flying Sequence (Instrumental) -> Clark Loses his Nerve

Just for the beauty of the Flying Sequence

That's a really good one.  Pretty much any five consecutive tracks from Superman are amazing.

I could almost see dropping Clark Loses His Nerve at the end and instead have it be:

The Helicopter Sequence -> The Burglar Sequence and Chasing Crooks -> Cat Rescue and Air Force One -> The Penthouse -> The Flying Sequence (Instrumental) 

But Clark Loses His Nerve is such a beautiful coda to the sequence and a wonderful statement of the "personal" theme.  Still, though, the Helicopter Sequence is just raw excitement.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Either way, if you really have only "20 minutes to sample a handful of tracks" then you would just do The Rescue and Bike Chase -> Departure -> End Credits anyway

True though here you can just edit your sample to fit the music ;)

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Mine Car Chase -> Water / The Sword Trick -> The Rope Bridge -> Broken Bridge / British Relief -> Return to the Village / End Credits

I don't see him combining Return and End Credits.

Musically it would be possible to combine Saving Willie + Slave Children's Crusade + Short Round Helps + Mine Car Chase, but that probably won't happen neither.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't see him combining Return and End Credits.

Why the hell not? It's basically the same piece continuing, same idea, same tempo.

And all the Club Obi-Wan negotiation and fight and chase cues.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why the hell not, here's a list of the intended cue segues

1. 1M1 High Life In Hong Kong -> 1M2 Anything Goes -> 1M2A Anything Goes - Part II    
  2. 1M3 Anything Playoff   
  3. 1M4 A Tribute To Vernon 
  4. 1M5 Indy Negotiates -> 1M6 Once In A Vial w/ 1M6A Dance Orchestra-> 1M7/2M1 Through Chinatown -> 2M2 Out Of Fuel w/ 2M2 Revised Map Extension -> 2M3 Down The Snowbank -> 2M4 The Indian Village
  5. 3M1 Revised The Old Priest -> 3M2 The Child Returns w/ 3M2A Alternate Beginning -> 3M3/4m1 The Elephant Ride 
  6. 4M2 The Scroll -> 4M3 To Pankot Palace 
  7. 5M1 Entrance Of The Boy King
  8. 5M2 Palace Source w/ 5M2A The First Supper & 5M2B Exchange Of Glances
  9. 5M3 Nocturnal Activities -> 5M4/6M1 Strangle Hold -> 6M2 The Inner Chamber -> 6M3 The Walls Come Down 
  10. 7M1 Sanskrit Sacrifice -> 7M2 More Sacrifice 
  11. 7M3 Approaching The Stones -> 7M4/8M1 Slave Children 
  12. 8M2 Moloram's Speech -> 8M3 The Evil Potion 
  13. 9M1 Short Round Escapes w/  9M1x Sanskrit Continued -> 9M2 Willy In The Fryer -> 9M3 Saving Willy -> 9M7/10m1 Crusade Of The Slave Children -> 10M2 Short Round Helps Out -> 10M3 Indy Takes Charge
  14. 10M4/11M1 Mine Car Chase 
  15. 11M1 Water Music -> 11M2 The Sword Trick 
  16. 11M3 Rope Bridge Drums 
  17. 11M4 The Broken Bridge -> 11M5/12M1 British Relief 
  18. 12M2 Finale -> 12M5 End Credits  

Damn just seeing this makes my saliva start dripping

The final part of Revenge of the Sith featuring Anakin's Dark Deeds -> It Can't Be -> A Moody Trip / Padmé's Visit -> Heroes Collide -> Duel of Yoda and Sidious / Yoda Falls / The Boys Continue is so far my holly grail

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's been my most wanted complete score release since... ever.  I wonder if we'd have it by now if George sold Lucasfilm to someone other than Disney...

I haven't listened to a note of it since 2018 outside the movie... just echoes of great fanedits in my head :crymore:

Down the Rope / Into the Park -> Reunion at Rockefeller Center / It's Christmas -> Finale -> We Wish You a Merry Christmas / Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas -> End Titles (“Somewhere in My Memory”)

Makes a great 20 minute car ride home from work.

@crypto I like this idea!

From Jurassic Park:

High Wire Stunts -> Hungry Raptor -> The Raptor Attack -> T-Rex Rescue and Finale -> Welcome to Jurassic Park

From Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets:

Reunion of Friends -> Harry's Wondrous World -> Fawkes the Phoenix -> The Chamber of Secrets -> Dobby the House Elf

Or if you want to exclude end credits or concert arrangements, it could also be:

Dueling the Basilisk -> Fawkes Heals Harry -> Dumbledore and Harry -> Lucius Returns / Dobby Is Freed -> Reunion of Friends

43 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Dumbledore and Harry -> Lucius Returns / Dobby Is Freed

I don't find either of these tracks to be extremely compelling from start to finish.  I feel like Columbus let those scenes run on for too long and should have been edited tighter, and as a result the music has some lulls just waiting for the next important thing to happen

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't find either of these tracks to be extremely compelling from start to finish.

Yeah, I mainly chose this for the other three, but I do love the quietly triumphant variation on Dobby’s theme in Dobby is Freed.

Here’s a better one, from Dracula, the riveting end of the film program, plus the two (excellent) alternates:

To Scarborough (Film Version) -> Dracula’s Death (Extended Version) -> End Titles -> Main Title & Storm Sequence (Alternate) -> The Love Scene (Extended Version)

9 hours ago, Jay said:

and as a result the music has some lulls just waiting for the next important thing to happen

That's because William Ross wrote it, had this be written by John Williams It would've been way more compelling :P

Oooh, that's a good one @Holko! I almost chose that!

But it's really hard to divorce those tracks from the Journey Through The Ice cues, when I want to revisit A.I.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

I adore the Shark Approaches.  It just slices like a razor.  I know it's just the Shark Motif, but it's rawness is unmatched anywhere else.

Blown to Bits and End Title are my favorite cues from Jaws so it's impossible to not have those in my 5.

on my actual playlist, i use the alternate Quint Meets His End, cause I adore those trumpet flourishes:

I dunno, those high pitched shrieks playing constantly instead of being an additional texture when they've been built up to are too annoying to have in the main program. I definitely prefer the unalternate one. I love its wilder percussion too.

27 minutes ago, Holko said:

I dunno, those high pitched shrieks playing constantly instead of being an additional texture when they've been built up to are too annoying to have in the main program. I definitely prefer the unalternate one. I love its wilder percussion too.

yeah totally fair.

also, why i included 'Blown to Bits'

i'm just always floored by the orca theme playing as Brody climbs the mast of the boat.  I know it's not Brody's theme, but I love how it plays softly and heroically for him specifically, as he's the true protagonist. 

I long thought of it as Brody's theme for just that reason.  And also the harp as the mast sinks deeper and the uncertainty builds before the shark surfaces.

I have a feeling the Quint Meets His End was rescored because the shrieking jabs from the woodwinds were too reminiscent of Herrmann's Psycho.

36 minutes ago, Andy said:

I have a feeling the Quint Meets His End was rescored because the shrieking jabs from the woodwinds were too reminiscent of Herrmann's Psycho.

And then subsequently most of it dropped except for the first 4ish seconds:lol:

Edit: I'll add this it makes sense that it was dropped because the music changes the entire tone. Having music makes it seem more terrifying and scary, while the lack of music creates a sense of tragedy, since Quint spent his post war life hunting sharks, only for him to Meet his End at the hands, or fins I should say, of a shark.

Well now I want to go listen to both again and see which I prefer in case I was remembering wrong, but I don't seem to have Jaws here.  Oh well

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've now found the time to listen to both tracks and I like them both, lol.

I had forgotten that each take has a completely different opening - I think I prefer longer opening that makes up the first 20 seconds of the Alternate over the quicker 13 second opening of the main program version.  

But then I think the ending of the main program version (0:46-end) is better than the ending of the Alternate (0:53-end).  The Psycho-esque strings are a bit too over the top in the Alternate, while the one appearance in the main program version is like a cool quick cameo.

So I guess my favorite version would be a hybrid of both takes lol

• 9 months later...

This is fun. Unfortunately, I don't have all the available expansions, but going through what I have, I nominate two

E.T.

Losing E.T.

E.T. is Alive

The Rescue and Bike Chase

The Departure

End Credits

Raiders of the Lost Ark DCC expansion

The Map Room: Dawn

Reunion and the Dig Begins

The Well of Souls

Airplane Fight

Desert Chase

20th Century Fox Fanfare
Main Title/Ice Planet Hoth
The Wampa's Lair/Vision of Obi-Wan/Snowspeeders Take Flight
The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor
The Battle of Hoth (Ion Cannon/Imperial Walkers/Beneath the AT-AT/Escape in the Millenium Falcon)

Incident At Isla Nublar

The Encased Mosquito

Entrance Of Mr. Hammond

Journey To The Island

Hatching Baby Raptor

Platform Nine And Three Quarters

Chocolate Frog Escapes

The Journey To Hogwarts

Through The Doors

House Selection

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

20th Century Fox Fanfare
Main Title/Ice Planet Hoth
The Wampa's Lair/Vision of Obi-Wan/Snowspeeders Take Flight
The Imperial Probe/Aboard the Executor
The Battle of Hoth (Ion Cannon/Imperial Walkers/Beneath the AT-AT/Escape in the Millenium Falcon)

In some ways this is almost cheating - these 5 tracks contain 13 different cues, and that's not even counting the Fox Fanfare

30 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

In some ways this is almost cheating - these 5 tracks contain 13 different cues, and that's not even counting the Fox Fanfare

It's not cheating until Mr. Matessino gets another chance at the Star Wars expansions...     :lsabre: 

That said, I think the chances of the Fox Fanfare even being on any theoretical expansion (that I've completely given up on by now) are approximately 3,720 to 1.

5 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I've won the thread. You may close it now, Crumbs.