Bruce Willis retires from acting

Jay

Poor guy. It's probably for the best that he retires, considering how many terrible films he's been in lately. He is a very good actor who has a great legacy. Wish him all the best.

I've never seen a Bruce Willis performance I didn't like; I've also wisely avoided seeing all the direct to VOD crap he's known for these days

Just now, SpaceCoyote said:

I would disagree that he wasn't good at comedy. Moonlighting is how he got his big break, and the light touch he gives John McClane is what made Die Hard such a success. His greatest pure comedic performance is probably Death Becomes Her.

In the old Die Hard movies he is charming but not funny. I mean, I saw good comedies in which he played. But they never were funny because of him but despite of him. The Whole Nine Yards, Death Becomes Her, Bandits. But maybe we can agree, as a comedian he is as good as Christian Bale.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

In the old Die Hard movies he is charming but not funny.

There are lots of different shades of funny. He doesn't make you guffaw, but he gets a few well-earned chuckles from the audience in Die Hard. Its not the most grounded of performances (in what's surely not the most grounded of movies) but its damn good fun!

That's sad for him and his family, he's only 67 and still in good shape.

That's the kind of degenerative disease we don't wish even to our worst enemy.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, He just wasn't good at comedy. 

My favourite performance of his in a movie is probably 12 Monkeys.

He wasn’t good at comedy, he was GREAT at comedy. Moonlighting, Blind Date, Death Becomes Her, Look Who’s Talking (voice), Hudson Hawk, The Fifth Element, Breakfast of Champions, The Whole Nine Yards, Friends, The Kid, Bandits, Moonrise Kingdom.

Very sad that he has to leave his profession because of a horrible illness.   Way too young to have that happen. 

I’d have liked very much to have seen him have a solid comeback… a gristled old cowboy would have been very appropriate given his Die Hard John Wayne comparisons. 

I would say he retired from acting years ago.

No more Die Hard movies...whohoo.

7 hours ago, SpaceCoyote said:

I would disagree that he wasn't good at comedy. Moonlighting is how he got his big break, and the light touch he gives John McClane is what made Die Hard such a success. His greatest pure comedic performance is probably Death Becomes Her.

Agreed, but I'd clarify that he's good in comedy; as the straight man, which not everyone can do very well. He's amazing in Death Becomes Her, keeping the performance just straight enough for Hawn and Streep to chew up the scenery, even though he's playing a fairly neurotic character himself.

Sad to hear, and I hope his l retirement years can still be fulfilling and peaceful.

Bruce Willis is a great comedian. The Fifth Element and Die Hard will forever hold a special place in my love for film as a child.

It’s sad to see that these rumors were true. His last string of films appeared to be a final push to do as much work as possible before it wasn’t possible anymore. 

I'd love to see an article where the writer actually watches all of the cheapo direct-to-vod action movies he's done this last decade.  The kind of article you'd see on the AV Club ca. 2008.

Bruce Willis is part of my cultural upbringing. I actually remember seeing him in MOONLIGHTING on Norwegian TV exactly as he broke through, when I was a wee kid. Very sorry to hear about his early retirement, and his medical condition.

My favorite "cameo" of his was in Grindhouse: Planet Terror. Now THAT was a fun way to have him randomly be in the movie. If I recall, it wasn't advertised that he was in it before it came out, either. So it really was a nice surprise.