HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

Jay

The dragons I can certainly live without. For me, it was the weakest part of G.O.T, and brought it down from a great political tale, to L.O.T.R. lite...or, rather L.O.T.R. heavy.

Any show can always have more Spandex :)

Considering how poorly received GOT S8 was, I think they should've waited a few years before releasing another TV show set in that universe. Let the nostalgia do its magic first.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of these shows (or the scores for that matter) but I am looking forward to hearing Djawadi's new title theme to see how it matches up to his undeniably iconic original.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inside ‘House of the Dragon’ Part 1

"The first part in a behind-the-scenes chronicle of HBO’s years-long campaign to franchise its biggest hit of all time, featuring warring pitches, an abandoned pilot and the George R.R. Martin superfan who earned the keys to the kingdom."

I wonder if Djawadi will write a new main theme for this or if he will stick with GoT theme. I think there are several reasons for him to go with the latter but a new theme would be cool.

I have a soft spot for his GoT music. 

I think he writes a great theme but fails to properly develop or modify it but I always find the music to be at least serviceable. 

I adore his GoT scores.

What he might do is create a full theme for House Targaryen. Up to this point only Daenarys has had a theme, which was only associated with her.

It would be cool to hear an opening title of a mix between the Main Theme & a House Targaryen theme.

But I'm pretty sure maybe the only theme that will be reprised here is the Dragons theme and maybe the main title when we see the Iron Throne or something.

The showrunners have been very clear that it takes place in the same world as GoT it is a different story. It's really a story about a family. So he might even compose themes for each of the main character to really hammer home their conflict.

Either way, I think the score will be great. And it'll be interesting to hear how different this and TROP will be

I love his GoT scores and I've never seen the show - they stand up remarkably well on their own.

I've never been a big fan of the main theme in its Main Title form but I do like the various treatments throughout the score. If he writes a new one, bonus!

I would never occur to me that this new show would re-use some other show's theme, and I doubt anybody making the show thought they should do so, either

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I haven't paid much attention to the development of this show or even felt much of an inclination to watch it, but if Sapochnik's involved then it's looking more interesting...

He's not only directing some, but I think he's one of the two showrunners actually!

Yavar

14 hours ago, Jay said:

They have been using Djawadi's Game Of Thrones music quite a lot in these promos.

Very excited about the score. Back to back with Westworld's score. I'm not complaining

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Curious what the main title is like

I still wouldn’t be shocked if it was the GoT theme again. None of the review copies had the opening titles and neither have the premier. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

I still wouldn’t be shocked if it was the GoT theme again. None of the review copies had the opening titles and neither have the premier. 

Mmmm. Interesting. I would find that weird. I would love a Main Title with maybe the rhythm of the GoT title but with the House Targaryen theme on top of it

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Is it wrong that I actually wouldn't mind this? 

Nah it definitely needs to be a different theme IMO. As good as the GOT theme is this show deserves its own musical identity, even though I very much expect the original theme to have a big influence on it.

Say what you will about Djawadi's scoring, but the man can write a good title theme - Westworld is excellent as well. I can't wait to hear what he does for this.

I'm kind of shocked that Ramin chose to stick with such a similar sound to GOT (and even the same themes), but I'm looking forward to hearing the new main title theme next week. I disagree with the decision to not include them in the first episode; it felt weird without them. And the GOT theme during the credits also felt weird. Hopefully Ramin will create enough of a different sound for this show, but I did like the bits of Dany's theme in this episode (which was the best in GOT).

I’m not sure why it’s surprising for you. John Williams didn’t really abandon his sound or his themes when he did the Prequels. Why would Djawadi throw out what he’s already established? There’s plenty of scope for new themes but the Targaryens already have their own musical identity, he was never going to change that. 

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Now that the series has officially started. Are we allowed to talk about it openly, with spoilers and all, after each episode has aired???

I assume you mean spoilers for aired episodes and not book spoilers? @Jay can you clarify this? Can we openly talk about aired episodes in this thread?

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I thought it was a strong episode. A great way to get back into the Game Of Thrones world. A world which I love being in.

Some standout moments

- The birth scene was terrible to watch, but very true to how it would go without any sedation.

- Dragons, Dragons, Dragons. I love them! The effects and different designs on them were very good as well.

- It was also wonderful to hear the characters speak in Valerian. That really makes the show something special.

- Viserys has physical wounds on his body from sitting on the Iron Throne. We even get to see him cutting himself. The throne is litarelly destroying him. Another great touch of what it means to sit on that Throne. And that it really is, in more ways than one, the most dangerous place to be in.

- The thing about GoT which was so great was all the political aspects, which it lost in the final season especially. I love that that is the main 'thing' about this series. It's basicly The Crown & Succession in Westeros.

- The cast is very good. Standouts for me were Rhys Ifans, Matt Smith & Milly Alcock.

- I also thought it was a nice touch that at the end they talked about a threat from the North. In this way the show cements itself in GoT lore and to know that this threat is used to be something only the Targaryen's know makes sense. Because no one knows of it in GoT, and that's because all the Targaryen's are gone. 

Djawadi's music is indeed very much rooted in the world of GoT, which completely makes sense, because it excists in the same world.

The themes he reprised this episode were the Main Title (not sure yet how I feel about that), The Dragons Theme & a variation on House Baratheon's theme. Which after 8 season and this episode feels like more of a Crown/Iron Throne theme.

The single that was released is very good. Again using the piano to great effect to let the audience know something is going on that is not 'normal' to this world. Just like with Light Of The Seven, Winter Is Here & The Night King.

I loved this episode and can't wait to see where the season is going.

Fully agreed! Great first episode, cannot wait to see episode 2!

I actually missed  the King of the Seven Kingdoms/Baratheon theme but you are right the theme is definitively tied to the king more than House Baratheon. I’ll listen for it in next episode!

The continuation of the musical DNA and DNA of GOT and of House Targaryen was a given and it would have been disappointing if they hadn’t decided to continue that. I think I read somewhere that in particular the dragons themes from GOT (I noticed the Dragons theme and the Dragon Flight theme in episode 1) will be used alongside character/faction themes for the new characters.

I think the use of the GOT main title theme was great and made perfect sense, often used together with new themes or dragon themes. Especially the dragon flight cue and the major varition where Rhenerys enters the castle were amazing!

I thought that the end credits cue could maybe have been something different than a slightly different version of the S8E6 end credits music. However I think that this was done in the first episode to really bring people back to Westeros.

The first episode also didn’t have a Main Title sequence, and this was a conscious decision and from episode 2 and onwards, they will be one so again.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I actually missed  the King of the Seven Kingdoms/Baratheon theme but you are right the theme is definitively tied to the king more than House Baratheon. I’ll listen for it in next episode!

I’ve never felt comfortable with calling it a House Baratheon theme. It’s used too frequently in other settings I agree that King of the Seven Kingdoms is more fitting. 

but yeah, I missed it in this episode completely! I’ve seen the episode twice! 

1 minute ago, Bilbo said:

I’ve never felt comfortable with calling it a House Baratheon theme. It’s used too frequently in other settings I agree that King of the Seven Kingdoms is more fitting. 

but yeah, I missed it in this episode completely! I’ve seen the episode twice! 

Yeah same, I’ve always called it the Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms theme in my score analysis because like you say, it’s been used in multiple non Baratheon settings already in the early seasons but maybe most obviously in the opening of season 8 (Arrival at Winterfell).

I wonder if it maybe used during a small council scene but I think that they were all unscored. Hope to hear House Stark’s theme at least once this season (as we saw the Warden of the North briefly in the Throne Room scene). Next week can’t come fast enough!

HBO’s biggest ever premiere

https://t.co/QMTJQ8Ey84

So that’s Season 2 and a few more spin offs getting greenlit then.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Yeah same, I’ve always called it the Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms theme in my score analysis because like you say, it’s been used in multiple non Baratheon settings already in the early seasons but maybe most obviously in the opening of season 8 (Arrival at Winterfell).

I wonder if it maybe used during a small council scene but I think that they were all unscored. Hope to hear House Stark’s theme at least once this season (as we saw the Warden of the North briefly in the Throne Room scene). Next week can’t come fast enough!

I would be surprised if we did hear it this season but you never know! 

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

HBO’s biggest ever premiere

https://t.co/QMTJQ8Ey84

So that’s Season 2 and a few more spin offs getting greenlit then.

Great news! Unlike with Disney or Amazon, I have faith in HBO!

I would love to see Dunk and Egg and I know that GRRM wants that to be made very much, but it would be even more effective if they showed the Blackfyre Rebellion first.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Great news! Unlike with Disney or Amazon, I have faith in HBO!

I would love to see Dunk and Egg (I know GRRM wants that to be made very much), but it would be even more effective if they showed the Blackfyre Rebellion first.

I’m actually listening to the audiobooks of Dunk and Egg at the moment. Harry Lloyd reads them and he’s great. I’ve read them before but this is a nice way to do a re-read. 

I can’t get my head around how they could do the Blackdyre rebellions and Dunk and Egg. Would they be the same show? Different shows? Surely they’d have to wait for HotD to wrap up as two series about Targs fighting each other wouldn’t work on screen together.

Do they take the Anthology approach with Hot D and go into the Blackfyres and then do Dunk and Egg? Will Martin ever write more Dunk and Egg novels? At this stage I’d rather be did and just abandoned Winds as I don’t ever see him completing ASOIAF. 

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I’m actually listening to the audiobooks of Dunk and Egg at the moment. Harry Lloyd reads them and he’s great. I’ve read them before but this is a nice way to do a re-read. 

I can’t get my head around how they could do the Blackdyre rebellions and Dunk and Egg. Would they be the same show? Different shows? Surely they’d have to wait for HotD to wrap up as two series about Targs fighting each other wouldn’t work on screen together.

Do they take the Anthology approach with Hot D and go into the Blackfyres and then do Dunk and Egg? Will Martin ever write more Dunk and Egg novels? At this stage I’d rather be did and just abandoned Winds as I don’t ever see him completing ASOIAF. 

I think I read somewhere that HOTD might become an anthology show (The dance of dragons will take 4 seasons to be told) so they could do anything from Blackfyre Rebellion to Robert’s Rebellion (unlikely) to Aegon’s conquest (if they don’t mind going back in time) etc. Dunk and egg would definitively work best after Blackfyre has been done (in HOTD Anthology?), maybe as a separate sequel series with a bit lower stakes. GRRM has plans for multiple more Dunk and Egg stories but he’s spending his time on Winds… and as D&E shouldn’t happen before Blackfyre has been done, maybe GRRM will have written or at least outlined some more D&E stories by the time they make that show.

I’m in the camp that believes that he will finish ASOIAF so can’t agree about that, though I would love to read more dunk and egg. I’m currently re reading ASOIAF and will probably re read D&as after that. He recently stated that he was finishing up 1-2 POV character storylines for Winds so I think he might get close to finishing it within the next year or two. I also think that Winds will become 2 books or volumes (as he said that it’s already much longer than Storm) and the same will probably happen with Dream as well.