HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

Jay

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

I’m in the camp that believes that he will finish ASOIAF so can’t agree about that, though I would love to read more dunk and egg. I’m currently re reading ASOIAF and will probably re read D&as after that. He recently stated that he was finishing up 1-2 POV character storylines for Winds so I think he might get close to finishing it within the next year or two. I also think that Winds will become 2 books or volumes (as he said that it’s already much longer than Storm) and the same will probably happen with Dream as well.

I dunno, I just feel like we’ve been here before. I’ll believe it when we see it!

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Apparently there were technical issues because too many people tuned in.

300640449_619468339834975_6512299211726593132_n.jpg

I watched around 18 hours later (evening in Europe) and the app had some issues even then…

23 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I can’t get my head around how they could do the Blackdyre rebellions and Dunk and Egg. Would they be the same show? Different shows? Surely they’d have to wait for HotD to wrap up as two series about Targs fighting each other wouldn’t work on screen together.

I was reading some GRRM blog posts and came across this:

"The third of the live action shows is the Dunk & Egg series, helmed by Steve Conrad.   My team and I have had some great sessions with Steve and his team, and we really hit it off.   He’s determined to do a faithful adaptation of the stories, which is exactly what I want; these characters and stories are very precious to me.   The first season will be an adaptation of the first novella, “The Hedge Knight.”

This was before the news of HOTD possibly becoming an Anthology show was mentioned though but it certainly seems the case that Dunk will be done regardless of wether we will get to see the Blackfyre Rebellion in HOTD (or maybe in a separate show).

59 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I was reading some GRRM blog posts and came across this:

"The third of the live action shows is the Dunk & Egg series, helmed by Steve Conrad.   My team and I have had some great sessions with Steve and his team, and we really hit it off.   He’s determined to do a faithful adaptation of the stories, which is exactly what I want; these characters and stories are very precious to me.   The first season will be an adaptation of the first novella, “The Hedge Knight.”

This was before the news of HOTD possibly becoming an Anthology show was mentioned though but it certainly seems the case that Dunk will be done regardless of wether we will get to see the Blackfyre Rebellion in HOTD (or maybe in a separate show).

I’m aware of that but it’s still in the development stage and they had no idea how House of the Dragon would do. I’d be surprised if they went ahead with Dunk and Egg as mentioned above if they intend to show the Blackfyre rebellions in Hot D.

18 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I’m aware of that but it’s still in the development stage and they had no idea how House of the Dragon would do. I’d be surprised if they went ahead with Dunk and Egg as mentioned above if they intend to show the Blackfyre rebellions in Hot D.

True, this was posted in March this year I think. Unless they want to jump back to Aegon's Conquest after Dance is finished, Blackfyre Rebellions seems like a logical next chapter if HOTD does becomes an anthology. Dunk & Egg being released after Blackfyre would be the best situation but I'm not sure if HBO has the patience to wait that long (could be an 8 year wait if Dance takes 4 years/seasons and Blackfyre takes 4 years).

Hi everyone, I just started a blog where I will write about soundtracks and scores, and I will post my own thematic analysis of both new and old scores. I decided to start it by doing a short write-up on the first episode of House of the Dragon, talking about the returning themes as well as the new ones Djawadi is creating. It's still a bit of a work in progress, but I'm hoping it will slowly grow with lots of content.

Anyway, here it's the write-up of the first episode of House of the Dragon, so feel free to read and comment any feedback you have. Enjoy!

1x01 Heirs of the Dragon - Musical Analysis of the Episode

22 hours ago, Positivatee said:

The Song of Ice and Fire will be forgotten by the winning faction.

If it was forgotten, it appears to have come back to them before the end. There's good reason to believe that Rhaegar knew about it (Daenerys's vision), and perhaps Aerys II (the ghost of High Heart's prophecy) and Aegon V (the disaster at Summerhall).

On the other hand, the dragons were long extinct by the end of the dynasty, so the Targaryens' unique selling point as leaders of the defense against the White Walkers had gone.

22 hours ago, Positivatee said:

...to dispatch this 300 year old threat in a single episode. Their priorities were also in the wrong place. 

Agreed on the second point, but the first one isn't very fair. The White Walkers' campaign was shown to be under way in the opening scene of the first season, and cost at least tens of thousands of lives by its conclusion. Naturally their ultimate defeat occurred within some particular episode!

I love the tragedy implied in the "Song of Ice and Fire" prophecy revelation. It reframes so much of the Targaryen dynasty, and further textures the motivations of the monarchs, even Aerys II, AKA the "Mad King" and his obsession with wildfire. It doesn't absolve any of the Targs for their cruelty and hubris, but it does paint an interesting picture of why they were so obsessed with interbreeding and keeping the dragons strong (beyond the obvious grabs for power). It's particularly sad knowing that the fire at Summerhall (in which Aegon "Egg" Targaryen and a bunch of his family died from his experiments with a dragon egg and wildfire) was likely motivated by his own attempt to revive the dragons for the Long Night. Similarly to Prince Rhaegar, who was by all accounts a massive nerd who wanted to write songs and read books until it's implied he learned this info and started his training as a warrior. It also may complicate his motivations for kidnapping/marrying Lyanna Stark beyond just love (even if that's yet to be confirmed in the books) - he needed a third heir for the prophecy of the three-headed dragon to pass.

The ultimate tragedy of course is that Daenerys never received this prophecy herself, and highlights just how alienated she was in the end. If she had this knowledge she may not have turned the way she did, instead teaming up with Jon earlier or at the very least accepting the existential threat more readily.

I’m surprised they took this long to announce it.

but internally it’s been a given for a long time and work on season 2 has been progressing for awhile 

I watched via a paid HBO Max subscription, the Roku version of the app through my TV that has Roku built in.

I noticed that when the episode started, the Dolby Vision icon appeared in the upper right, which is how my TV tells me it's receiving an HDR (and I assume 4K) signal, which was great because every show we've watched on HBO Max until then had only been 1080p.

So maybe the 4K HDR stream had Dolby Atmos for the audio mix, and my receiver didn't process it right? 

I've never had a problem with any other 4K content... 

9 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

If this is the best HBO has to offer, they're in trouble. I can't imagine anyone other than the most hardcore GOT fans sticking with this.

I’ve only seen two episodes of GOT, missed the entire period where everyone was head over heels for the franchise, and I’m on board with this show already

This video (at the start) has the full score from the premiere minus that insert of Daenerys'/the dragon theme in The Prince That Was Promised. It's in chronological order. After the first time The Prince That Was Promised plays, it jumps back to the cues from the beginning of the episode

On 19/8/2022 at 6:18 PM, Bilbo said:

I still wouldn’t be shocked if it was the GoT theme again. None of the review copies had the opening titles and neither have the premier. 

And I am not shocked. 

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I thought that was implied, I've never read the books and Hot D's first episode has been the only thing that's made me want to invest in the franchise 

He’s just a RoP fan who isn’t happy that people have eyes.

On 26/8/2022 at 11:44 PM, Jay said:

Choosing to sacrifice his wife to potentially get a male heir.

I think the mother was doomed either way if they practiced the caesarian or not. Thats what the ‘medics’ say in the episode, and i think thats what happened in real life until they learnt to do things right…. Saving the baby was the only thing the could do.

24 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think the mother was doomed either way if they practiced the caesarian or not. Thats what the ‘medics’ say in the episode, and i think thats what happened in real life until they learnt to do things right…. Saving the baby was the only thing the could do.

Yes, there was never a chance to save Aemma. Either both die or the child could live. 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think the mother was doomed either way...Thats what the ‘medics’ say in the episode...

I get the impression that the maester here isn't very good (remembering the earlier scene where he treats the king's back).

Of course, his information is all that Viserys has to go on. But, even so, it wasn't merely a choice between one death or two; it was also a choice about how Aemma would die (the maester indicated that to anaesthetise her further would endanger the life of the child). It's hard to shake the feeling that he chose for her to die in agony in order to get himself an heir.

31 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I get the impression that the maester here isn't very good

Or Citadel conspiracy 👀 

he’s Grand Maester though so I doubt he’s too incompetent. If he was wrong he was intentionally wrong. 

I think the dialogue is deliberately ambiguous and be interpreted in two different ways. 

Option 1: if we do nothing, both will probably die - we leave it up to the gods. If we intervene, we can save the child, but the mother will certainly die of blood loss. 

Option 2: we can do a c section that will save the child, but will kill the mother. Or we can save her by getting the child out of her in such a way that it will die. 

I interpreted it the following way:

Aemma was going to die either way. So Viserys would be able to choose between letting both the child and Aemma die, or just Aemma, by cutting the baby out of her.

He chose the latter knowing she would die, and hoping the child would be a boy. Which it was. And a few hours later it died anyway. Which makes the whole thing even sadder.

He thought he made the right choice after his son was born, but then he also dies. Viserys is completely destroyed. Unable really to react or talk with anyone.

To make the matter even worse, his council just acts like nothing happened by talking about his succession.

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

Option 2: we can do a c section that will save the child, but will kill the mother. Or we can save her by getting the child out of her in such a way that it will die. 

I don’t think there’s anything in the dialogue to suggest they could save Aemma 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

At the very least, something was said about "leaving it up to the gods" IIRC

I took that to mean “you can choose neither or the baby. If you don’t the gods will decide whether the baby survives or they both die.”

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's even more intense than that. The choice he made, he knew would absolutely cause her intense pain and distress. In other words, it wasn't a choice to like, give her some medieval equivalent of morphine so she felt nothing.

Wouldn't that be milk of the poppy? Why didn't they give her that?

I think she WAS on that, for the "normal" birth they were hoping for, but she was clearly in agonizing pain during the c-section, so either it wore off, they wouldn't have time to wait for more to set in, or something

Yeah they said they gave her as much as they could. 

I mean it’s morphine, I imagine there’s only so much you can give a woman in childbirth anyway?

anyway, the leaked intro for tonight looked cool but it seemed and sounded sped up. About 20 seconds shorter than the GOT one. Hopefully that was the case. Looked cool!

You can't assume everyone reading this thread is the type of person to go around the internet looking for leaks or other HOTD info

I certainly do not, as I don't want to be spoiled on the show - I haven't read the book.

Here it is: 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right but why not share a link so we can see it and discuss it to?

I wasn’t sure whether posting leaks was allowed or not

Thanks, that was pretty good, I liked the blood being used.

And yea, clearly sped-up to avoid being auto-discovered and taken down

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I wasn’t sure whether posting leaks was allowed or not

I mean, the opening credits is hardly a plot spoiler, and those who don't want to see it ahead of tonight's episode 2 simply wouldn't press the play button.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I mean, the opening credits is hardly a plot spoiler, and those who don't want to see it ahead of tonight's episode 2 simply wouldn't press the play button.

I meant from a legal point rather than spoilers. I wasn’t sure if it was safe for the forum to post stuff like that, that’s all!