HOUSE OF THE DRAGON

Jay

Anything hosted on youtube has always been allowed here and always will be

Can you imagine if us mods were expected to sit down and watch every youtube embed posted here and decide if the content inside it was properly licensed or not?

We only care about copyrighted material not being hosted on our own servers, we don't give a crap if what's on youtube or twitter or whatever  is on the up and up, or some bootleg thing

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean, the opening credits is hardly a plot spoiler, and those who don't want to see it ahead of tonight's episode 2 simply wouldn't press the play button.

So is the leaked intro OK to discuss then?

I mean, the theme music is hardly a plot spoiler.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Option 2: we can do a c section that will save the child, but will kill the mother. Or we can save her by getting the child out of her in such a way that it will die. 

In big animals such as cows, you can do that…if the cow is so valuable that the calf is considered disposable. It implies using a saw inside the womb and cut the calf in pieces (i think it is done once the calf dies after being impossible to be expelled during a long parturition) I dont know if this has been done in humans in old times, certainly the size is very small and there must not be space for maneuvering (or even manually feeling  if the baby is already dead) and sadly a heir would be considered more valuable than a woman, even a queen…

Its frightening how dangerous prengancy was until very recently.

Something that I didn't grasp from the episode, but a recap podcast made clear:

That old king who decided his heir in the opening prologue scene:  He actually had two sons, but they had both died.

The Queen That Never Was was the first-born of his first-born (son), while Viserys was the (first born) son of his second-born son.  

So, the old kind specifically chose gender over straight "first born of the first born" rules.  And now, how ever many years later, Viserys chooses the opposite, picking his daughter over his brother (the second born son of the second born son of the last king) or his cousin (the 1st born of the 1st born of the last king).

I loved how interesting and detailed these GRRM family trees and succession orders is.

Oh, did anybody else have a theory on who the heck Otto Hightower sent a raven to, when everyone of any importance is supposed to be at King's Landing for the tournament and heir announcement?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

So, the old kind specifically chose gender over straight "first born of the first born" rules.

He didn’t. It was put to a vote and the the Lords of Westeros overwhelmingly chose Viserys. 

Ohhhhhhhhhhh OK I missed that.

So how come now all these years later, Viserys decides himself instead of it being put to a vote?

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh OK I missed that.

So how come now all these years later, Viserys decides himself instead of it being put to a vote?

Normally the king would decide. But as Jaehaerys had no real obvious heir and the succession was muddied he was afraid of a civil war breaking out. He called for a Great Council to sort it out. All the claims were heard and they voted on them. 

The precedent was set for the eldest male to take the throne. So as it stands in Hot D, Daemon should be his heir. 

1x2 The Rogue Prince

Another strong episode. It was a bit slower than the first, but I didn't mind.

As said above, Otto is a cunt. It's that I like the Ifans as an actor so much, otherwise this could easily become of the most despicable characters on TV.

I thought the best moment of the episode was the standoff at Dragonstone. The visuals in this sequence were amazing and the moment Rhaenyra came through the mist of her dragon was a very powerful moment.

Both dragons looked terrific and I especially like that they're so different. Daemon's dragon is more worm/snake like, while Rhaenyra's is more robust, and clearly not full grown.

I thought Milly Alcock was the best this episode. She is very good in the role and steals every scene she's in. Her scene in the sept with Allicent was beautiful. As well as her scene is Rhaenys. Great scene.

Steve Toussaint Colrys Velaryion was the second best for me. And I like that with his character going for help to Daemon, after the Viserys decided on not marying his daughter, was great.

The tease of the dragon behind the Crab King (who looks amazing btw) at the end was cool. I'm excited for what that brings next week.

As of this moment it really seems like everyone has their own agenda, but works together or uses others to get to their goal the fastest.

Daemon wants to be named heir.

Lord Corlys & Otto Hightower both want as much power that their family name can handle. And they'll both sacrifice their daughters for it. Again, the theme of a man deciding for and over a woman's body. Just like last week with Aemma.

Viserys just wants to keep as much peace as possible, which obviously is not going to work.

Djawadi's music is a bit more on the downstated side this week. There were some cool moments at the Dragonstone scene and I really liked the end credits piece.

I'm still not completely sure how I feel of just reprising the GoT Main Title, note for note over the credits. I would've liked it having a bit of a variation.

The credits themselves were cool, although it took me a while to find out that it was the Targaryen family tree.

The way I see it with the main titles is, it’s the same as the Star Wars theme over the opening crawl. It’s possibly the most iconic and recognisable TV themes of modern times, if not all time. I’m kind of glad they kept it because it ensures a musical continuity going forward.  

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

The way I see it with the main titles is, it’s the same as the Star Wars theme over the opening crawl. It’s possibly the most iconic and recognisable TV themes of modern times, if not all time. I’m kind of glad they kept it because it ensures a musical continuity going forward.  

That's true. And looking at it from that point, I'm more fine with it

Can I just say it? 

I was so damn giddy and happy to have a proper title sequence. I don't care if it's the same title song. I don't care if it's not a real map. I don't even care it wasn't real blood. 

I'm just so damn happy to hear that iconic song right after the HBO static. 

Doo Doo, Doo-Doo Doo Doo... Doo-Doo Doo Doo... Doo-Doo Doo Doo... 

I'm kind of divided on how to feel about this main titles thing. I mean, the original theme is so great, such a classic, and works great for the show. It starts to play and I'm instantly hooked up and eager to see what's gonna happent next.

But for example, I came across this video, and I feel that perhaps something like this, developing the Targaryen theme in a sort of Main Titles arrangement could have been really great to differentiate it from the original show.

But it's just a small complain I have for an otherwise really great show so far.

I really love the show and the score for HOTD but I am a bit unsure about the main titles music choice. The GOT theme is so brilliant and iconic and for me is the embodiment of the ASOIAF/GOT story.

The HOTD main titles design was really nice but I was thinking that there should be a new title theme here (I've actually been looking forward to hearing a new title theme since the show was announced). I really liked the end credits music and I think that a version of that would have been perfect for the main titles.

It's really my only small nit pick about the show and it's not a big deal and I think I'll come round to it as the new arrangement had some nice new bits. However it would have been nice to have a new piece of music that would make you go "ah now HOTD begins!" and I think that the end titles theme would have been very a great choice. I do however get the idea that it's like the SW intro but that gets me thinking, if they make another show about let's say Nymeria or Dunk and Egg, will those shows also have the GOT intro or maybe they won't because the other potential spinoffs are not as similar to GOT with the throne being at the centre?

5 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I wonder if Ramin composed an alternate main titles that didn't get up getting used.

I was thinking about this as well and I think that unless it was decided from the very beginning, they probably tried a few different things before landing on the new variation of the GOT title theme. I'm assuming HBO or Ryan and Miguel had the final decision on that.

I'm not a GOT fan, at all, but I'm genuinely surprised to read some many people labeling the GOT theme as brilliant and all time great. On a JW fan forum, of all places.

I find it a really uninteresting piece of music

It became positively associated with excitement and anticipation for people in the early seasons when every episode was a communal experience for so many.  I fondly remember every Sunday night my wife and I singing along “GAME OF ITS A GAME OF GAME OF THROOOONES”.

But no I don’t think it’s a brilliant piece of music.

It's not the most amazing piece of music ever written for a TV show, but it is fairly recognizable. Kinda like the Star Wars theme. 

Djawadi has always been the best of the Zimlings when it comes to writing "iconic" themes that even non-film score fans would recognize it, like GoT and Pacific Rim.

Even my mother, who don't really care about film scores, likes the GoT opening because of the music.

It's deceitfully simple, but it's got some nice ideas in there to give it flavour. There's one particular moment where the ostinato changes from minor to mayor right at the beggining and feels quite brilliant.

Alanis Morrisette has a lot to answer for 

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It became positively associated with excitement and anticipation for people in the early seasons when every episode was a communal experience for so many.  I fondly remember every Sunday night my wife and I singing along “GAME OF ITS A GAME OF GAME OF THROOOONES”.

But no I don’t think it’s a brilliant piece of music.

I think you’ll find the lyrics are “Dinklage, Peter Dinklage, Peter Dinklage…”

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

This show missed a golden opportunity for a framing device. I would be happier if Tyrion was reading the history of the Targaryen family to his whore in King's Landing, and that was the show. It would explain the six month time jump between Eps 1 and 2.

Except he would be an unreliable narrator. This show demands a higher level of authenticity. 

Another outstanding episode. I'm really digging this, and sliding right back into that Game of Thrones vibe. I honestly didn't think anyone making TV these days had it in them to create something like this again.

And I just read that they actually gained viewers over last week, which is extraordinary, and a sign that HBO has another break-through hit on their hands. Word of mouth is killing for this show.

2 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

And I just read that they actually gained viewers over last week, which is extraordinary, and a sign that HBO has another break-through hit on their hands. Word of mouth is killing for this show.

GOT used to actually drop between episodes 1 and 2

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Except he would be an unreliable narrator. This show demands a higher level of authenticity

Well you’ve got Mushroom in the book so… best avoided 

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

My roommate at the time the series ended thought the lyrics were “Boobies, death and boobies, death and boobies…”

Djawadi's work here sounds fine as such with some solid epic moments. I do dread the forthcoming action bits as this is where his music really comes apart. A lot of the whitewalker final battle stuff from the final GOT season was so pedestrian as to be aggressively offensive (especially for what was meant to be a momentuous occasion - bring me Shore's Mount Doom stuff anytime!).

He does the same thing that Harry Gregson-Williams does with his actiony stuff where it's these repeating, dry, monotonous chopping blocks of string sound that do not go anywhere. It's strange that they both do this since they are clearly capable of much more. Unless it's the minions at play as they probably delegate a lot of that to them - but not one of the (many) climaxes of a show like GOT!

HBO has put the entire first episode on youtube via their HBO Max channel.  I assume it's region locked but maybe a different link exists for other countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrMdo8jF5Dg

1x3 Second Of His Name

What an episode!!!

The whole sequence at the hunt was again a feast of political intrigue. Now that we're 2 years later the relationships between a lot of the characters are very different than the last episode.

Rhaenyra remains the most interesting of the characters. And Milly Alcock remains the best as well. She's very very good.

The boar attack was also a great moment for her to let loose. There is so much anger inside her and that finally came out. At least a bit.

Paddy Considine was also great this episode. I really feel like he isn't the best king, but the choices he has to make are really difficult.

His scene at the fire was very well acted.

Otto is still a bit of a fuck. Haha.

Then the whole battle sequence at the beginning & end, was top GoT battle. I loved it so much.

The moment Daemon snapped and went on his own to the Crab King's land he went with the intent to die, and I honestly thought he would.

The whole thing with him 'surrendering' and then just cutting through all the men until it was actually almost over was a great scene. It showed that Daemon doesn't really care about his own life at moments like these, which make him all the dangerous.

Then with the cavalry and the dragon joinimg the battle felt like true GoT. It was a mix between Battle Of The Bastards & The Loot Train Attack. Great stuff.

Rhaenyra, Viserys & Daemon are all kind of different people that they were at the beginning of the episode and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Djawadi's music was the best yet. There were some womderful moment of (what I think is) Rhaenrya's theme. Especially when she rode out of the camp

Then the whole battle sequence had some terrific music. The start with the humming and the piano was beautiful. Amd then the battle was full.of the usual GoT drums and cellos. Loved it. Hope we do get a longer release of the season like with the final season of Djawadi's Westworld.

That was my favorite episode yet! The whole power dynamics between Rhaenyra and her father were great, and their acting remains top notch, but what really sold it for me was Daemon's "surrender". Great direction with great tension building, fantastic acting by Matt Smith, and stunning music by Djawadi, with what I think is Daemon's theme.

As I have been doing with the previous episodes (and also with Rings of Power), here's my analysis of the soundtrack of the episode by Djawadi, dissecting the meaning of the different themes, and how Djawadi is slowly developing them to great effect! I really hope we get a huge release for the season, as I already love many of the cues.

My Soundtrack Analysis of House of the Dragon - 1x03: Second of His Name

9 hours ago, Bilbo said:

The kind of ethereal almost synth like vocal? I love that. 

Yes, that's Rhaenyra's theme. I loved the music and the whole scene of her riding back into the camp with Ser Christon. For some reason, the way it was filmed and scored reminded me a little bit of Jamie at the end of the Bear episode in Harrenhall in GOTs3.

The episode was great with all the "politicking" and I love the fact that we got to see a full royal hunt and even see a white stag, something which is mentioned in the books more than once. The battle scenes were brilliant as well and man, Daemon is pretty badass eh! :D The piano cue introducing Daemon's (I think) theme was a nice touch as well. I also want to comment on the costume and set design which has looked so good across the board in the first couple of episodes, but I especially liked the design of the Crab Feeder's mask and that whole set piece at the water with the caves.

I hope that we get to see some of the free cities (Braavos, Lorath, Norvos, Qohor, Pentos, Myr, Tyrosh, Lys, and Volantis). We saw a lot of Bravoos in GOT and also some of Volantis and Pentos and I hope we will see some more of those in HOTD or maybe in the Sea Snake if that gets green-lit!

On 2/9/2022 at 5:48 AM, Jay said:

Corlys - Oh man, this guy is turning out to be pretty cool too. I would love a spinoff about his earlier days sailing the seas and having crazy adventures and finding all the sea creatures he has in his castle.

A show about a young Corlys Velaryon having crazy adventures is actually a show that is being written at HBO and I really hope that his character becomes popular with audiences and that the show is green-lit! The title for the Corlys show, if it happens, will be: The Sea Snake!