Need your help with Harry Potter score

Pierre

Hello,

for my thesis i am looking for some informations about how was HP 1st movie music made. Do you know some book or article where is written something about this proces? For example, if they were picking from different composers, where music was recorded and some more info and details about it. How long it tooked, just anything that could help me describe the genesis of the music for HP 1st movie. 

THX a lot !

If you buy this box set: https://lalalandrecords.com/harry-potter-the-john-williams-soundtrack-collection-limited-edition-7-cd-box-set/

You will find there is a lengthy article about the creation of the music inside it. 

Hey there is there anyone who has this?

https://lalalandrecords.com/harry-potter-the-john-williams-soundtrack-collection-limited-edition-7-cd-box-set/

i am in big need of the booklet to it, i only need info about creating that music. Would be big help for my thesis! 

THX!

21 hours ago, Pierre said:

Hey there is there anyone who has this?

https://lalalandrecords.com/harry-potter-the-john-williams-soundtrack-collection-limited-edition-7-cd-box-set/

i am in big need of the booklet to it, i only need info about creating that music. Would be big help for my thesis! 

THX!

Check out Musicbrainz. They have scans of everything!

Hello everyone, 

to piggyback off this topic, was wondering if anyone has a list of the orchestra personnel for HP 1?

I’ve read freelancers and LSO from different sources. 
Also read on wiki that James Horner was originally asked to do the score. Can anyone corroborate this? 

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, Benjamin Rice said:

to piggyback off this topic, was wondering if anyone has a list of the orchestra personnel for HP 1?

I’ve read freelancers and LSO from different sources.

HP2 was the only one of the first three films to be performed by the "LSO proper", HP1 and 3 were done by "freelancers" primarily made up of LSO and London Philharmonic players I believe. So both is true.

On 06/04/2022 at 1:36 PM, Pierre said:

Hello,

for my thesis i am looking for some informations about how was HP 1st movie music made. Do you know some book or article where is written something about this proces? For example, if they were picking from different composers, where music was recorded and some more info and details about it. How long it tooked, just anything that could help me describe the genesis of the music for HP 1st movie. 

THX a lot !

Does the document help you in any way? It is quite a lot, I have not yet worked through it myself. I picked it up somewhere, but I can't remember where...

Harry Potter Analysis.pdf

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

HP1 and 3 were done by "freelancers" primarily made up of LSO and London Philharmonic players I believe.

Somewhere along the line (probably random brain fart from Star Wars overdose) I got it into my head that the LSO was solely responsible for HP1. Many years later, I re-examined the album notes and was dismayed to find that I was wrong.

To this day, I have a habit of insisting on crediting an ensemble in the "artist" field (in addition to JW) even if there's none explicitly named (think "Hollywood Studio Symphony"). I'll make up stupid names if I have to. For my tagging of the LLL expansion, HP1 was performed by Kierkegaard's Masons and HP3 by the Bentham Reformists.

I always just say the LSO did HP1-3, even if it's not technically true, it's like 95% LSO members. Same with the Hollywood Studio Symphony doing the Star Wars ST; there were some freelancers thrown in here and there, but it was almost completely HSS players.

Even the HSS Wiki page itself lists the Star Wars sequels:

Hollywood Studio Symphony - Wikipedia

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Even the HSS Wiki page itself lists the Star Wars sequels:

I am unsure of what to make of that — that page is tagged with a "few-to-no citations" warning, and the HSS's admittedly sparse homepage makes no mention of the SW sequels (though Star Trek is there).

In particular I remember Into Darkness bearing the ensemble name in the booklet (and that's what I wrote into my tags), but I don't recall any such credit for the sequel trilogy liner notes. This release from PR Newswire about the TFA score avoids mentioning any ensemble name and the TFA end credits don't give anything away. (Even JKMS gets a shout-out there.)

40 minutes ago, j39m said:

I am unsure of what to make of that — that page is tagged with a "few-to-no citations" warning, and the HSS's admittedly sparse homepage makes no mention of the SW sequels (though Star Trek is there).

In particular I remember Into Darkness bearing the ensemble name in the booklet (and that's what I wrote into my tags), but I don't recall any such credit for the sequel trilogy liner notes. This release from PR Newswire about the TFA score avoids mentioning any ensemble name and the TFA end credits don't give anything away. (Even JKMS gets a shout-out there.)

Right, my point wasn't that the HSS did the sequels, but that even the Wiki editor/s assumed they did due to the musicians credited on them that are members of the HSS.

From my understanding, the Hollywood Studio Symphony is the name used for any film score recorded in LA with AFM musicians. 

MM recently shared (mirrored here) that the AFM has recently begun mandating that any LA-recorded scores post-1960 will now have to say "performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony" on either the front or back cover.  This even applies to re-issues of OOP titles that get a new catalog number but no other art changes

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

From my understanding, the Hollywood Studio Symphony is the name used for any film scores recorded in LA with AFM musicians. 

Interesting. The personnel page of my TLJ booklet (hastily captured with a phone camera) shows the AFM logo atop the mark of SAG-AFTRA, but I really don't recall seeing "Hollywood Studio Symphony" in there. I wonder if this was decided on a per-score basis prior.

If you're referring to Mike's post, it's a brand new mandate, like within the last year or less

On 13/04/2022 at 8:40 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I always just say the LSO did HP1-3, even if it's not technically true, it's like 95% LSO members.

Yeah I mean effectively it's just the LSO anyway. An institution is made up of people, and if the majority of those people are present then it's basically the institution but without the name.

On 13/04/2022 at 10:28 PM, Jay said:

MM recently shared (mirrored here) that the AFM has recently begun mandating that any LA-recorded scores post-1960 will now have to say "performed by the Hollywood Studio Symphony" on either the front or back cover.  This even applies to re-issues of OOP titles that get a new catalog number but no other art changes

That might explain why the non-final cover for the LLL Always release had this label.

image.png