Music from HBO Max’s ‘Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts’ Special Released

JohnTheBaptist

WaterTower Music has released a digital single featuring music from the HBO Max special Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts. Available to stream/download now are the tracks Hedwig’s Theme and Harry’s Wondrous World composed by John Williams (who scored the first three installments in the Harry Potter movie series) newly recorded for the project with the Synchron Stage Orchestra in Vienna conducted by James Seymour Brett.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/04/14/music-from-hbo-maxs-return-to-hogwarts-special-soundtrack-released/

https://youtu.be/WUiI5aQcTow

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Why does no one like the ritardando? I like it. It gives the ending so much more power! The Berlin recording is now my standard recording for Harry's Wondrous World. 

I LOVE it! Any recording that doesn't use it sounds wrong to me now.

On 23/04/2022 at 6:47 PM, bollemanneke said:

I LOVE it! Any recording that doesn't use it sounds wrong to me now.

Was the ritardando introduced by the cover conductor of the Berlin concerts or elaborated during JW's own rehearsals? There was a less pronounced ritardando in the Vienna concerts in March - so it may have worn off. Also no bells up at the end of E.T. in Vienna.

• 1 month later...

Could these recordings have something to do with avoiding certain reproduction rights for the originals? Seems weird, but I can't quite understand the need to rerecord them. Not that I'm complaining, (the more recorded versions out there, the more to choose from). 

BTW, is that an edit at 3:23 of Harry's Wondrous World?

PS: Happy to hear a different approach, but count me Team Ritardando.