Miklós Rózsa's Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid (1982) - NEW 2022 Intrada Records 2-CD set

Jay

Since this release does not include it, am I right to assume this never had a curated OST? There's the Prometheus release from the 90s, but that seems pretty similar to this, not assembled for listening. And otherwise on Discogs, I've only been able to find the 'finale' track on some compilations.

• 1 month later...

This is really a fun, great and lovely score. Cool to hear a score done in the 80s, which harkens back to an earlier golden-age Hollywood sound, and by a composer who's sound was a part of that golden age. The sound quality is great. All of the cues have interesting material, and I love the sweeping, 'classic Hollywood' theme that happens often throughout the score. The source cues are fun too. 

21 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

This is really a fun, great and lovely score. Cool to hear a score done in the 80s, which harkens back to an earlier golden-age Hollywood sound, and by a composer who's sound was a part of that golden age.

I agree it's cool. And it was also cool a couple decades later when Elmer Bernstein got to do essentially the same thing with his own swan song(s) -- Far from Heaven and the DeMille documentary score.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree it's cool. And it was also cool a couple decades later when Elmer Bernstein got to do essentially the same thing with his own swan song(s) -- Far from Heaven and the DeMille documentary score.

Yavar

I will seek out that score next. I saw the movie at some point, but it's been a while, and I never listened to the music outside of the film. 

1 hour ago, MrJosh said:

I will seek out that score next. I saw the movie at some point, but it's been a while, and I never listened to the music outside of the film. 

It’s quite lovely; and cool because Bernstein in the 50s and 60s wrote for the same kind of film being homaged.

But his actual final score for the DeMille documentary on TV is also an impressive full-circle thing considering The Ten Commandments really jump-started his career after he was grey-listed and scoring stuff like Robot Monster and Cat Women of the Moon (wonderfully).

https://www.tadlowmusic.com/2017/05/cecil-b-de-mille-american-epic-elmer-bernstein/

Here’s the doc itself:

Yavar

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...