Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

Good to have a composer confirmed, and that it's not any of my "Unholy Three" (Giacchino, Göransson, Desplat).

In terms of her solo score work, I think I've only sampled LOKI. That did absolutely nothing for me. I liked bits and pieces of JOURNEY'S END that she did with Hildur Gudnadottir.

But basically, she's a tabula rasa to me. So I'll await any judgement untill the series is out.

Somebody is quite proud of their hunting horn.   I am all for bringing in new tones or acoustic oddities.  

I am less enthusiastic about 

We’re also blending the orchestra with some more modern synths sounds as well.

Which just doesn’t sound as innovative as Holt might like it to.  I mean, that’s what everyone does now. 

Depends on what type of synths or blend it is. I could picture some Vangelis-like elements in an Obi-Wan story. If it's just blending in typical RC fashion, it's nothing new. Time will show!

Interesting, but I think inevitable given recent hints.

So this means that Disney isn't fussed about having a known composer on this, and that either JW has seen something in her that he likes/trusts, or she's not using his theme in the body of the score.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Somebody is quite proud of their hunting horn.   I am all for bringing in new tones or acoustic oddities.  

I am less enthusiastic about 

Which just doesn’t sound as innovative as Holt might like it to.  I mean, that’s what everyone does now. 

I'm hoping the electronics are organically "weaved in" to the orchestral music rather than the other way around.  

Hopefully Holt will use JW’s material as a building block like Powell did.  The way they described allowing Johnny to record a theme for Benny was rather “Oh, okay. We have to let him just because. “. Or maybe I’m reading into it. 

Ok. Not who I wanted but the super long wait for an announcment eventually made me feel somewhat indifferent.

Still, looking forward to hearing what she has done. Open mind and all that.

Haven't seen Loki but listened to it when the rumors started and liked quite a bit of it, some good ideas. Looking forward to this! More than the show itself for sure.

Loki didn't do much for me and neither did the stuff on her site, so my expectations are pretty low. I'm bummed they didn't go for someone like Powell, JNH or Silvestri etc. Oh well, at least we're getting another theme from Williams which will be awesome no doubt.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Duh. She's not saying it's innovative; she's just commenting on how close her score is to a traditional Star Wars score.

Bes will be the guy we'll have to bust out from a mental asylum.

7 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Do you think that due to the fact that Obi Wan's theme was composed by Williams, there is a chance for a CD release?

We can only hope. Soon, even JW's name won't be a guarantee for a physical release.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Because she's a woman?

Because scoring a SW property is hard enough. Having one where you have to adapt JW's theme is an extremely difficult task for any musician. Even people as well versed as, say, Don Davis stumble in that department. At least Ludwig didn't have to do that and went in a completely different direction.

Karol

Let's face it to get this right. When Williams wrote Star Wars he was already in the business for more than 20 years, had worked with all the greats, had won two academy awards, had written a symphony and lots of other concert work. So, in best case Holt is now in a level like Williams in the mid 60s. In best case! So, adjust your expectations.

I am sure, she will do the job OK like most professional composers at her level would do. But I don't expect a miracle.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Loki's score was one of the best of the MCU Disney+ shows, and she'll have Williams' support. I'm a little optimistic about this :)

Better than Black Panther and the Silvestri scores??

*Edit* one

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

OK. Now the question pops up, why was that information kept a secret for such a long time?

That's what I want to know. Why keep her name a secret for weeks? 

Maybe Disney doesn't care about scores and just forgot to tell the press who the composer will be?