Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

I havent seen the episodes yet, as im far from a big tv right now, but the comments here are saddening, its the confirmation of what i expected from holt. Thank god at least williams and ross are there to fix it a little.

if holt was a male composer he would have been outright rejected and the show completely rescored, but being so overtly advertised as the first star wars female composer they just couldnt do it.

shame they didnt hire a woman with orchestral sensibilites like nami melumad.

I'd normally say this is probably more the fault of the filmmaker's wants of the project, but we have a bizarre halfway point where there's two very different sound visions present that constantly shift in the show thus far. Kind of makes me think we have a bit of a Mystery Men/Age of Ultron situation, where the producers realized their initial requests was the wrong way to go, yet couldn't really make a whole new score with the time they had.

Except even that might not even be the full extent of it, since I had gotten the impression Holt's involvement was also a bit last minute. It just spells "big mess" all around, and I wonder why they couldn't have just waited to refine things (besides really needing to coincide with a franchise milestone).

I knew it would be pointed. Im not fixated because i think its the first time i wrote about holts gender. I was afraid to, really, due to recent times’ sensibilities.

I think that unlike the mandalorian shows, this series is about a legacy character, and the point that williams came late in the game with the company trying to save the day speaks by itself.

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

They threw out Desplat for Balfe on Black Widow. That should tell you everything.

Yeah the problem is really in disney music department 

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Did you just make that up?

You dont know her?

Even then, I feel these composers are done a great disservice by the projects they're given, since TBoBF and Obi-Wan (so far) have more divided the masses than really pleased. They've shown talent elsewhere, so it's kind of a bit unfair to say their sensibilities are naturally RCP fluff.

Of course, I acknowledge we've been spoiled by JW, Goldsmith, Horner, and other classic composers making the most out of subpar projects. But since the sensibilities of studios then differ greatly from now, I just wonder if the digital age has done more to fracture the creative process based on what's asked of most composers now.

I cant understand how kennedy praises williams publicly so much and yet she is so happy to encourage directors and these their composers to do their own thing instead of trying to blend into williams legacy.

maybe is lucas fault because he started it with the clone wars.

2 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

the music for leia on alderaan is terrible :crymore:

Fixed.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

if holt was a male composer he would have been outright rejected and the show completely rescored, but being so overtly advertised as the first star wars female composer they just couldnt do it.

I don't think so. One reason why she as the composer was announced so late, was that they didn't need to announce a composer change in case they were not satisfied with her work. So, I am sure, they were very happy with it.

3 hours ago, HunterTech said:

I had gotten the impression Holt's involvement was also a bit last minute.

It wasn't last minute, her first meeting was before Loki had even premiered: https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/obi-wan-kenobi-composer-natalie-holt-star-wars-music-1235277978/

15 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

You haven't even seen her work and you are already judging Holt in a malicious way. That is very dishonest.

I saw the opening sequence. And i trust the judment of people here. And i heard loki…

3 hours ago, Michael G. said:

i like it too! the music for leia on alderaan is awesome :)

Yeah some of the best music I've heard since Solo for sure for Alderaan stuff. I love that happy vibe.

Surprised people didn't like the Loki score? Me and everyone I know loved it, especially the supermarket music and the "protect the timekeepers" fight.

I'm not sure I would've wanted Gordy Haab? Like he's cool and all but there's no song he's made that I'd actually listen to outside of where it's from. Maybe that's just a side effect of it being for a Video Game though

8 hours ago, Anthony said:

I've only watched episode 1, but the show isn't exactly that inspiring to begin with.

Hide contents

I enjoyed seeing a-day-in-the-life-of Obi-Wan, but then we saw it two more times. So little actually happened. The Jedi hunter villains are terrible, the chase in the forest was comically bad - how can 3 dudes not outrun a tiny child?! They were literally tripping over each other like they were completely inept. Yet in the next scene, we're supposed to feel threatened by them? Other than McGregor, the acting is terrible.

Spoiler

Bail and Owen were not acted terribly, and the child actor for Leia is decent, it’s just the material they give her at times comes across as awkward for a 10 year old to be saying, even a precocious one

36 minutes ago, DIamondFire said:

Yeah some of the best music I've heard since Solo for sure for Alderaan stuff. I love that happy vibe.

Surprised people didn't like the Loki score? Me and everyone I know loved it, especially the supermarket music and the "protect the timekeepers" fight.

I'm not sure I would've wanted Gordy Haab? Like he's cool and all but there's no song he's made that I'd actually listen to outside of where it's from. Maybe that's just a side effect of it being for a Video Game though

Have you heard Jedi Fallen Order by chance? Technically a collaboration between Haab and Barton but I think it’s his strongest soundtrack that is also a satisfying listening experience on its own. Particular shout out to this track which does an excellent job of conveying a sense of finality and doom:

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Reveal hidden contents

Have you heard Jedi Fallen Order by chance? Technically a collaboration between Haab and Barton but I think it’s his strongest soundtrack that is also a satisfying listening experience on its own. Particular shout out to this track which does an excellent job of conveying a sense of finality and doom:

This is my favourite song of his! I agree it conveys these themes.. I still don't think I'd just chuck it on but it's great.

I love what Natalie did with this part of the song. 

It's like... I don't even know what instrument that is but it sounds orchestral but also electronic at the same time and I LOVE IT

I wonder where her love for star wars talked about in the interview is. Its not that she uses williams music with modern vibes, she does not use his themes at all. 

well maybe in the last episodes she becomes more classic sound, as stated in the interview that chow at first said to modernise and then said to be more classic…

I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. I mean, the fact that she didn't even use Leia's theme once, the fact that she didn't use the Force theme at that big moment towards the end of the second episode... There were slam-dunk moments that could have been perfect.

Keep in mind that this show is only 6 episodes; we're already a third of the way done with it.

11 minutes ago, Drew said:

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 2.13.56 PM.png

How much of this awful music was even composed by Holt? And why is an additional music composer working with the JW theme?

This makes my blood boil. To be fair, Batu Sener and co. got to work with JW's Solo theme for that film.

...But the difference of course in that case was that Powell actually personally worked with Williams for that film; they met up to bounce ideas around and play their music for one another, I'm pretty sure they watched the movie together with Ron Howard, etc.

In this case, we have a composer who JW never really even met until the premiere the other day, and by her own admission, they didn't actually collaborate together (though for a while, the media sure seemed to try and make it seem like this was just another Solo situation).

If you think about it, the mere fact of William Ross' involvement could almost be seen as a sign that JW didn't entirely trust Holt alone to handle his new theme. I wonder how exactly Ross' hiring came about, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was part of the deal in order for Williams to agree to come back and write a new theme.

If JW evidently wasn't even totally comfortable with his new theme being handled by the main credited composer for the score, then I think it's safe to say that he also wouldn't be comfortable with these other people.

I know we have had 2 episodes. But maybe we should wait with all the negative judgement etc after all 6 episodes. Who knows what Holt does with the next 4 episodes.

We have had pretty much everything from the trailers in the first 2 episodes. So there's is a lot more coming I believe.

I am very confident that we'll get some big orchestral moments in the next 4 episodes. The only real action we've had is that rooftop chase which had more 'modern' drums in it like with Mandalorian, but Holt is also using a lot of orchestra. I'm confident that we'll here more of it and Williams' themes.

And maybe there haven't been a lot of Williams' themes in the Disney+ series because of rights and stuff.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Disney owns the JW themes.

I'm not sure if that is true. At least I know for a fact that before the Disney merger even LucasArts had to license Star Wars music to be used in their games. Of course this doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't have broken their bank to license more of his themes.

1 minute ago, Laserschwert said:

I'm not sure if that is true. At least I know for a fact that before the Disney merger even LucasArts had to license Star Wars music to be used in their games. Of course this doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't have broken their bank to license more of his themes.

Bantha music sounds rather in-house name so it could have been free fees to use within lucasfilm companies. But the copyright had to be created if it was licensed outside the company

4 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

This is my favourite song of his! I agree it conveys these themes.. I still don't think I'd just chuck it on but it's great.

There are 44 tracks in that soundtrack alone, not to mention Haab's other SW soundtracks; sorry, but I find it a bit hard to believe that @DarthDementous just happened to pick your single favorite one, out of all that he's written...

I didn't notice until second viewing (first time I was concentrating more on the story/visuals) how lame the music during Vader's reveal was. :lol:

I'd like to think one of the less-experienced additional composers did that one.

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

There are 44 tracks in that soundtrack alone, not to mention Haab's other SW soundtracks; sorry, but I find it a bit hard to believe that @DarthDementous just happened to pick your single favorite one, out of all that he's written...

Perhaps they mean it’s now their favourite after listening to it for the first time

It's funny how much Goransson's material shines when put side to side with what Holt has given thus far. In some of the quieter moments the score is nice and wistful but some of this action scoring is very industry-standard and not reaching any sort of height. Compare to the Pirate march from Mando Chapter 4 or Gideon's theme.

I thoroughly enjoyed her score for Loki and this is not giving me any inspiration.

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So, when these young and "hip" composers say they want to bring a "fresh new sound" to Star Wars, they actually mean they will just regurgitate RCP crap and trailer music-style "epicness".

Ugh

Britell is great but he said he isn't really using JWs star wars style, they act like its a burden

Natalie Holt is great and her work on Loki may be the best non Silvestri Marvel music. Judging by her interviews she seems to give a vibe that she wasn't so happy about the williams theme, and says how great the Loki experience was over and over which gives the vibe that. obi wan wasn't. idk might just be me but I feel like there was alot of friction with her score and idk what control she really had of the final product. it's a real shame because the material she could use has so much potential