Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

4 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

What about the rest of her score?

I liked the underscore when the Inquisitors first arrive on Tatooine, some very powerful low brass writing. The later statements of the theme aren't as good though and are a bit muddled with the synth work. One thing I'm not much of a fan of is the percussion in some of the action sequences. Less can be more in my opinion.

Just now, Counterparts said:

What about the Hanging Jedi?

Yes that's another cue that I really liked - the solo violin is great, and judging from Holt's interviews played by her.

I'd like to listen to the music by itself, as much as I enjoyed the episodes I don't have much desire to rewatch them so soon.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

Breaking news: Fans of John Williams surprised and angered that music not by John Williams is not as good as music by John Williams

More like we're angered (not really surprised) that music not by John Williams is not as good as music by William Ross.

We weren't looking for John Williams here, but there are other people out there who can do a much better job than what we're getting from Holt. Like William Ross, in this very show. Not sure what is so difficult to understand about that.

On 22/04/2022 at 5:02 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder how TGP feels about this...

He watched the first episodes tonight - just for Ewan really - and I can't say it was that enthralling.  Came here to see what this place thought.  Music is just sort of there, innit?

On 22/04/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't he banned?

Reports of my banning are greatly exaggerated.  I am merely retired from JWFan, the internet, and music making as a whole.  I seem to only ever check this place anymore when I'm away from home.  Hope you're all well.

If she wrote the logo music, i congratulate her because i like it a lot and sounds very sw classic.

and if she wanted to write like that and deborah chow banned her, then shame on Chow.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I also think it's important to remember that Holt is making music that de director & producer want. Maybe she did wrote other stuff that was changed due to other people's point of view

My theory based off Holt's comments and the huge amount of ghostwriters is that they rejected a score beforehand so she and her team were brought on last minute.  Maybe the first score was too "traditional" (by a Christophe Beck type composer)

So they instruct Holt to go the opposite direction, realize they've gone too far and bring in JW and Ross to make it feel more Star Warsy.

What you seem to be insinuating is that Lucasfilm is sailing by sight!!!

Which I totally agree with.

Just tossing out an idea after watching Stranger Things.

Obviously not for Obi-Wan, but I wonder if an 80s style all synth score could work for the right Star Wars project?

I found the music of the two first episodes to be perfect. Old school compositions when needed, and a beatbox when needed too.

At the end, if it took 14 composers to achieve that, why not! Lucasfilm is in trouble, not me! hehe

It never needed a beatbox, lol

20 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

My theory based off Holt's comments and the huge amount of ghostwriters is that they rejected a score beforehand so she and her team were brought on last minute.  Maybe the first score was too "traditional" (by a Christophe Beck type composer)

But Holt was apparently hired a long time ago. The timeline doesn't add up.

I just finished the first episode. I don't think Holt's music is too bad; it's not entirely challenging or mature but it works. I agree about the action music though: that could literally be from anything. Williams' theme gets a good workout, perhaps too much.

42 minutes ago, LSH said:

I just finished the first episode. I don't think Holt's music is too bad; it's not entirely challenging or mature but it works. I agree about the action music though: that could literally be from anything. Williams' theme gets a good workout, perhaps too much.

Yes, unless they use other williams themes in the upcoming episodes i fear the kenobi theme could end being overused

i still cannot understand how they havent used leias theme and a small flourish of lukes theme yet, and the force theme in the crucial scene.

28 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Is there a link for a snippet of the young Leia theme? I don't recall it from the show itself.

The only material from the scenes on Alderaan I remember is a big chord progression thing for the establishing shots and some sort of New Age-y filler stuff. I don't recall anything that sounds specifically tied to Leia.   

For me Princess Leia's theme always represented the sad part of Leia, the little crack in the armour, the "Pam" side of his personality (for those familiar with Carrie Fischer's bipolarity).

JW is lying a bit when referring to Leia's Theme solely as a love theme. It's much more than this and that's why it worked so well in the movies.

Of course it's not heard in Obi-Wan, we are not there yet with the character. The use of it would have been a mistake.

1 minute ago, Gibster said:

They used it in ROTS when she was a baby, atleast have the new theme be somewhat simmilar or hint

Well it was for a sad scene.

7 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Why should Anakin?

Anakin and Darth Vader are much different that Leia and Leia

Just now, Gibster said:

Anakin and Darth Vader are much different that Leia and Leia

And his theme hinted at his real theme

1 hour ago, Counterparts said:

Why should Anakin?

Because Anakin is very different from Vader? To the point that in the OT, Obi-Wan even acts like they are two separate characters...

16 minutes ago, Drew said:

Kiner is barely diet Williams. He usually doesn't even try. His music is so inconsistent.

At this point its more the Kiner family & co. than Kiner alone anyway.

Just now, Counterparts said:

At this point its more the Kiner family & co. than Kiner alone anyway.

Which is such a missed opportunity. They should hire someone who will actually do a good job. What's Gordy up to after Jedi: Survivor?

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Which is such a missed opportunity. They should hire someone who will actually do a good job. What's Gordy up to after Jedi: Survivor?

Considering it's Gordy, probably another video game. But speaking of him, I adore his Jedi Temple Challenge theme (especially the part that reminds me of the Han Solo theme). I'd love to see what he can do with a show or a movie.

But I'm also all for Kiner giving Count Dooku a new theme. Or a theme at all. 

29 minutes ago, Drew said:

Kiner is barely diet Williams. He usually doesn't even try. His music is so inconsistent.

Is it common for people to not like Kiner and crew overall? I thought it was only his Rebels work people hated. I've always dug his music. 

I thought their music for Clone Wars was inconsistent and got worse as it went on. Season 7 was very disappointing. All these pivotal scenes but the music was just droning half the time.

Rebels...idk, the music in the first two seasons was distracting because of how often it used verbatim quotes of the JW music, almost certainly played by samples.

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

I thought their music for Clone Wars was inconsistent and got worse as it went on. Season 7 was very disappointing. All these pivotal scenes but the music was just droning half the time.

Rebels...idk, the music in the first two seasons was distracting because of how often it used verbatim quotes of the JW music, almost certainly played by samples.

Yeah, I'll agree that Rebels' music in Season 1 is a little too quotey at times. Though I adore the music for Seasons 2-4. As for Clone Wars Season 7, I thought it was pretty good. Prefer his work on the other seasons, but I love the Bad Batch theme so much that all is forgiven. Lol

13 hours ago, Andy said:

Just tossing out an idea after watching Stranger Things.

Obviously not for Obi-Wan, but I wonder if an 80s style all synth score could work for the right Star Wars project?

Maybe for Skeleton Crew based on the premise alone!

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ah so this is like anakins theme and the imperial march….NOT.

I dont really hear a single note hinting to the adult leia theme.

IIRC, when Bail left her on the railing, the notes somewhat dance around or suggest that Leia theme. Could be crazy, but I felt it was a nebulous, fragmented rendition (if it can even be called that. More just slowly dancing through some of the notes).

5 hours ago, Drew said:

The thing is not everything should try and fit JW's style. Rebels tried to give you the same vibe while still being unique and it worked wonders (for S3-4). TCW S1's weird Orchestral Techno was also really good. 

The only thing I haven't liked is some of TBB music... but that wasn't Kevin since he now only does the stuff recorded by orchestra.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Obviously a guess, but I'd say that given Holt wasn't replaced at the last minute, LFL and the director probably think she did do a good job. She did what they asked of her. Your frustration towards the music is probably better directed at them, who decided the tone they wanted and pretty much knew what they were getting, having heard her work from Loki.