Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

Holt can go 'big orchestral' in her own style, like @courtneyneedsaw says.

The music heard under the duel now is not that. And that was also not what this duel was about I think. Vader was holding back. There'll be another duel. I think she'll go big and thematic then

11 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Can you please just tell me how any of this sounds like Star Wars?

Well how does the S1 TCW Orchestral Techno sound like Star Wars?

It just does, can't describe it. It's in Star Wars so.. it's Star Wars music isn't it.
Would I love the use of familiar themes and would it greatly add to the show? Yes.
Is it taking me out of the show that they are not present? No.

Quite honestly, all the tension building scenes work best with her type of underscoring that's happening. I do expect the big duel to be good though!

Regarding why there’s not an abundance of legacy themes in what is essentially Star Wars Ep 3.5…Maybe @ocelot can chime in as I know he’s had some insight in the past as to how protective Williams can be over the use and execution of his themes by other composers. See Rogue One and then Williams’ subsequent heavy involvement in Solo. 

I’m just speculating, but using Bill Ross to specifically adapt his new theme for several cues and the end credits probably means Williams wants control over how his themes are presented in this context. Otherwise why not just give the new theme over to the four other composers involved for those cues?

16 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Solo was positively chockablock with Williams themes used in both original and new contexts by Powell.  I believe Powell said Williams initially raised an eyebrow at the major-key Imperial March but eventually came to love it.  But you also had soft, menacing "Duel of the Fates," you had the main theme, you had all of "Reminiscence Therapy"...heck, you had my one true love, the friggin' Droid Motif, hidden in a menacing action scene.  I wouldn't be surprised to discover years from now that he somehow slipped Jabba's theme into "Dice and Roll."

All this to say that Williams has not been possessive about letting other composers play in his thematic sandbox (see also Mando/Boba, Rebels, and the queue music for Star Tours).  I think this is a directorial decision that Holt is either being forced to defend for self-preservation or actively agreed with.  (I could be all wet, but I seemed to sense, between the lines, that Holt was a little miffed Williams horned in on a show she'd already scored or begun to score.  That's understandable, but at the same time, the man is a walking miracle at this point, and you're gardening on his property.  If he says he wants to dig up one of your tulips and plant one of his special breed of carnations, you scoot the heck over and give him your trowel.)

I love the Droid motif, where specifically in the Solo score is it, really curious to hear what Powell did with it

I'm serious, I'll give 100$ to the next JWFAN fund raising, if you add an option to ignore a specific thread!!!

It pops up when new content is added, I don't want to see that anymore.

I want a "mask this conversation" option like they have on Twitter.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Bes, give me that hundred bucks and I’ll see what I can do for you

Don't get excited I meant Canadian bucks!

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I liked the duel music a lot more than the other stuff.  I think Ross almost definitely might have also written that.

Also the logo music shows up 

I would assume the music at the end is also him. It’s gonna be real interesting if a soundtrack album comes out who will they credit for some cues or what even gets released. 
also he hints at vaders theme which makes me think he wasn’t able to use it

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I liked the duel music a lot more than the other stuff.  I think Ross almost definitely might have also written that.

Also the logo music shows up 

I had the exact same initial thought but failed to follow it to the same sensible conclusion. I’ll bet you’re right. 

Where’s the logo music?

2 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I had the exact same initial thought but failed to follow it to the same sensible conclusion. I’ll bet you’re right. 

Where’s the logo music?

When the Inquisitress walks to the camera after the duel 

For those disappointed - yes, in terms of musical continuity, they dropped the ball. However, I can totally see this a studio thing and Holt is simply filling in the gaps as per directions. No one at the studios knows Williams' scores intimately enough to ask her to include themes for characters like Qui Gon or the little motif for Mustafar. They just don't care and neither do a huge swathe of the audience.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

For those disappointed - yes, in terms of musical continuity, they dropped the ball. However, I can totally see this a studio thing and Holt is simply filling in the gaps as per directions. No one at the studios knows Williams' scores intimately enough to ask her to include themes for characters like Qui Gon or the little motif for Mustafar. They just don't care and neither do a huge swathe of the audience.

They seem to know enough to blast duel of the fates whenever Ewan is on

17 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

When the Inquisitress walks to the camera after the duel 

I can't find it.  Reva walks toward the camera after one phase of the duel around 36:56, and the nameless second-tier inquisitress (Fourth Sister?) does the same around 40:00, but I don't hear it either time.

5 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I can't find it.  Reva walks toward the camera after one phase of the duel around 36:56, and the nameless second-tier inquisitress (Fourth Sister?) does the same around 40:00, but I don't hear it either time.

Or it's around that area

2 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The bad guy/gal music in this episode was awful. 

Totally agree.  Until the duel, that is.  Before that, it was the kind of stamping, unison horn of doom and drum of death that turned me off to (unpopular opinion?) The Batman.  It's like a seventh grader is purposely taking larger steps than he has to and shouting, "BADASS!!  BADASS!!" with every one to convince onlookers that he's a badass.  It feels desperate.

This show is becoming a bipolar listening experience indeed.  Vulture's forthcoming Complete Oral History of the Disney Star Wars Era (watch for it in 2031) just gained another fascinating chapter.

I wonder if Williams told them to get fucked if they want to use his themes. He's like: I wrote you a damn Obi-Wan theme, you ingrates but don't you DARE touch my precious Leia and Vader themes AND ESPECIALLY NOT that Mustafar motif!'

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I wonder if Williams told them to get fucked if they want to use his themes. He's like: I wrote you a damn Obi-Wan theme, you ingrates but don't you DARE touch my precious Leia and Vader themes AND ESPECIALLY NOT that Mustafar motif!'

I wonder if there's some truth to this, I've noticed the video games don't have this issue at all, and if it's true Williams is restricting usage of his themes then it would make sense it's not felt there because I doubt he's that across video games :lol:

It sounds a lot like the music during the fight at the end of episode 3 was by William Ross.

Better yet, it's 90% free from any sound effects in the rear channel of the 5.1 mix...! If we don't get Ross's cues on the official soundtrack album, it won't be too difficult to make a personal edit of this track.

The Ross cues were at a completely different scoring stage, with a different crew... I wonder whether Disney will even release Ross's cues... Perhaps it will warrant its own seperate album? I know that if they release both composers' work I'll be splitting them into seperate releases. I have little interest in listening to any of the music, aside from the Ross cues.

Upon examining some of the Holt scenes, I've discovered that the rear channels often only contain the orchestral elements (along with sound effects). It's surprising to hear how much more tolerable the score is without the Zimmer-style percussion and synths...

16 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Why not give Bill Ross the whole show, then? I think everybody would have been happy if he was the main guy.

Because he is busy doing orchestrations and conducting for The Fabelmans and Indy 5?

5 minutes ago, Gibster said:

This is the worst thing star wars has ever done musically. I don’t want to hear any complaints about Ludwig Goransson, Shirley or Giacchino, this is sooo much worse

Shirley's BoBF is the best I've heard in the live-action TV Star Wars realm thus far.

You don't have to physically be in another country (or use VPN software to pretend to be) to see what's on iTunes in another countries, you can search yourself any time you like

https://music.apple.com/nz/search

Here is Natalie's Holt page, where it's clear there's no album yet

https://music.apple.com/nz/artist/natalie-holt/921676056

It would also be on this page if there was an album:

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/albums?orderBy=original_release_date&orderDest=desc

42 minutes ago, Gibster said:

This is the worst thing star wars has ever done musically. I don’t want to hear any complaints about Ludwig Goransson, Shirley or Giacchino, this is sooo much worse

Even worse then the techno episode of Clone Wars? ;)