Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe they will do 1 album with William's theme and Ross's adaptations, and another album of Holt's stuff

I wonder which one of those they will sell more of?!

Solo is the 'other' episode 3.5, serving as a backstory for Han just like the Obi Wan show. It even has Chewie and Lando! Despite the score being a radical departure from the Williams pastiche, fans love it. Why is this?

Apparently anything other then the Williams sound we are all so appreciate of is bad, yet these scores (Solo, Mandalorian, Boba Fett) are all well loved. Ironically, the one score that did try to replicate Williams' style (Rogue One) was ripped apart!

Does it boil down to the use/mistreatment of Williams themes? If Obi Wan had plenty of imperial march and reprises of previous music with funky new renditions in addition to the soundscape Holt has crafted would people still have such a problem with it?

I dont think all the percussion and violin flourishes in 'Mimban Battle''s Imperial March were part of the Star Wars soundscape before Powell came along, so I would still call it a departure from the established sonic environment. 

1 hour ago, DIamondFire said:

Vaders voice is achieved using respeecher. 

If you are wondering how it sounds so good it's due to JEJ recording a large amount of the dictionary + having recorded the sounds used to make up any word in multiple different inflections a few years ago. That coupled with other AI techniques and the vocal effect... well there we have it.

ok boomer

Damn, so technically we could have jej vader voice for ever? if only they could have done that with our spanish dubber, who dies a few years ago and therefore didnt dub rogue one and subsequent films-shows. He had an excellent voice. :(

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:
Spoiler

That's only one cue. And aside the percussion (which have been the only thing not fully like from what I've seen) all the rest of the score is trully faithfull to Williams' music. Powell did a terrific use of The Adventures of Han, use the original themes with smoothness, no over utilisation or omission. He succeed to keep is own voice while using the original materials, crafting his music around Williams' themes.

Giacchino use the original materials mostly as inserts which sounds sometimes out of place.

Göransson  didn't use any of themes because most of the character weren't legacy character (which IMO is a shame for some moment, proof that not every one enjoyed this departure from Williams' style).

Holt followed Göransson decision even though she's scoring for Legacy Characters and that's where she failed (her or any person who pushed her in that direction). Why reinvented the most iconic theme of cinema? I like to think that one can always do better than what already exists but here it's clearly light years beneath what Williams wrote.

I see your point thanks for your reply. I appreciate each composers strengths and weaknesses and don't think anyones approach is downright "bad". That being the lack of thematic material in obi Wan is a serious misstep. The rest of her music is fine I guess

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeUXiUUAnil/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

A BTS look at the making of a cue in Episode 3.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Of course a generation raised on "epic music" by Lorne Balfe and Junkie XL is going to love the Obi-Wan score.

"Curse the kids and their hippy dippy scores and their hippy dippy contraptions. Those infernal whippersnappers wouldn't know good music if it hit them on the keister."

The Abe Simpson impression aside, their scores for Mad Max: Fury Road and Mission: Impossible - Fallout are pretty damn spectacular if I do say so myself. Granted those are the only scores of their's I would consider great. Although I have a soft spot for their scores for the Snyder Cut and Black Widow.

20 minutes ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeUXiUUAnil/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

A BTS look at the making of a cue in Episode 3.

"Curse the kids and their hippy dippy scores and their hippy dippy contraptions. Those infernal whippersnappers wouldn't know good music if it hit them on the keister."

The Abe Simpson impression aside, their scores for Mad Max: Fury Road and Mission: Impossible - Fallout are pretty damn spectacular if I do say so myself. Granted those are the only scores of their's I would consider great. Although I have a soft spot for their scores for the Snyder Cut and Black Widow.

Lol, why did you react with a sleepy emoji to my comment with that rescored video featuring "Anakin's Dark Deeds"? Does that John Williams music bore you, while "BWAAAA BWAAAA" is somehow exciting?

3 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

Vaders voice is achieved using respeecher. 

Is there a source for this? It makes sense, since he sounds worlds better than in Rogue One or Rebels, but every article I’ve seen fails to mention it. 

16 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Lol, why did you react with a sleepy emoji to my comment with that rescored video featuring "Anakin's Dark Deeds"? Does that John Williams music bore you, while "BWAAAA BWAAAA" is somehow exciting?

I'm still trying to figure out how these reactions work. I just wanted to do a thumbs up. Lol

5 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

UMG just started sending out copyright strikes for KOTOR 2 music (27 tracks specifically) all of which had hidden names. Seems an official release for the score might be in the works! I mentioned this last week on the Discord.

So cool! And wait - what Discord? I want in!!

6 hours ago, igger6 said:

Man, sounds like I really need to check out the KOTOR scores!

Also, I'll be curious to watch the inevitable Disney Gallery: Obi-Wan documentary to see if there's been some breakthrough in Respeecher technology.  Luke sounded creepy and horrible in both his Mando and Boba appearances, but Vader sounds like a million credits.  

As a taste, here's an example of what I think is a very effective new Star Wars theme: 'Jedi Ruins'. Small bit of context, but this plays in the ruins of an old abandoned Jedi Enclave (never would've guessed huh) and does a very good job at setting the wistful mood and giving the sense of something that wants to rise to its former glory but can't. It's fairly bare in its soundscape but I think that works towards the feeling of isolation and hollowness:

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

Woah, if the KoTOR scores should really get official releases, that would close some kind of circle for me.

You must know, in the early 2000s I ran a website called "LucasArts Soundtracks", which is by now long abandoned. You can still find snapshots of it HERE, but when LucasArts contacted me to take down all Star Wars and Indy related downloads (they were fine with me keeping their own IPs' music available), I at least added ripping and naming guides for the two KoTOR games. (KoTOR here and KoTOR II here). I've used gameplay videos of the games to come up with proper track titles (plus the music player included in KoTOR II provided some more names), and I've seen my exact track listings used in several uploads of the soundtracks over the years.

I'm proud to say that I'm also partially responsible for the second game to get a high quality music patch, because I pestered Mark Griskey long enough until he gauged interest for it and shortly after a patch got released.

Hah, small world!

I am very thankful to you and Mr. Griskey for the HQ music patch, it does a huge service to the score and the experience in and out of the game

I heard there was some kind of debacle between Griskey and Lucasfilm, it really comes across that he and many of the other video game composers are not treated with nearly the value or respect they deserve and it's sad to think that may prevent him from ever working on the franchise again

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I heard there was some kind of debacle between Griskey and Lucasfilm, it really comes across that he and many of the other video game composers are not treated with nearly the value or respect they deserve

I think that was related to "The Old Republic", where the composers had to churn out hours and hours of music under too tight deadlines.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe they will do 1 album with William's theme and Ross's adaptations, and another album of Holt's stuff

I would LOVE this, however I think it's wishful thinking to expect a release of any of Ross's adaptations.

We'll get an album of Holt's score, but we'll be incredibly lucky to get any of the Ross cues - unless they play a massive role in the later episodes...

44 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

I don't think so. Maybe the Alderaan's theme is mistaken for Leia's new theme, but we don't really hear it anytime after Alderaan.

That's a good point.  Holt said she scored planets, and its being an Alderaan theme would both absolve her of trying to re-do one of the most iconic themes in the series and explain why it hasn't shown up again.  But I think that's also a good argument for why character themes are necessary, with or without place themes.  Places just sit there.  They can change over time, and their themes can reflect that on subsequent visits, but they're not capable of the minute-to-minute permutations of emotion and action that characters are, so there are fewer opportunities to develop their themes in a longer work.  All in all, a lack of character themes makes for a less compelling musical narrative and an abdication of the use of one of the most potent tools in Roger Ebert's "empathy machine."

5 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Listen again at 40:22 in Ep. 3 -- a minor variation of Young Leia's theme (which I like very much!).

Here's a transcription of the theme on its first clear appearance in Ep. 1 for reference.

Young Leia.png

Quickly got the keyboard out to play this and I do recognise it now. It wasn't too prominant when I watched but yeah that's it. It's pretty.