Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

On 02/06/2022 at 3:59 PM, DIamondFire said:

Vaders voice is achieved using respeecher. 

If you are wondering how it sounds so good it's due to JEJ recording a large amount of the dictionary + having recorded the sounds used to make up any word in multiple different inflections a few years ago. That coupled with other AI techniques and the vocal effect... well there we have it.

ok boomer

Oh wow I was curious why he sounded so much better than in Rogue One. That makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, it caught me by surprise too. I'd never heard of this re-shpeeching technology.

There’s a way to redeem this. 

Weird Al shows up in the finale to sing updated lyrics to “The Saga Begins”.   He gets a credit after William Ross. 

3984CFA3-9DEC-4ADF-A049-A383C7C188F1.jpeg

1 minute ago, DarthDementous said:

I’ve been keeping an eye on the discussion about this show in forums that have nothing to do with music and I’m consistently seeing people notice and lament the lack of iconic themes in this show - even from those positive about the show on the whole

If it is actually this widespread then this feedback may get back to Lucasfilm

They apparently (according to Holt herself) hired Holt because of a twitter petition so anything's possible 

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

They apparently (according to Holt herself) hired Holt because of a twitter petition so anything's possible 

I don’t think I’ve seen such a naked example of composing for Star Wars TV being a popularity contest, yikes

The buck still stops with Lucasfilm though, they would’ve had to have made the call that Nathalie would be suited for the role regardless of how many people expressed their interest in it. I think that’s why I see the problem lying more in vision and management, since they’re the one choosing the ingredients so to speak

36 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I’ve been keeping an eye on the discussion about this show in forums that have nothing to do with music and I’m consistently seeing people notice and lament the lack of iconic themes in this show - even from those positive about the show on the whole

If it is actually this widespread then this feedback may get back to Lucasfilm

I told a non-music friend about how much the score stunk, and he keeps sending me people on Star Wars forums that specifically note the music being disappointing. So at least from what I've seen, that seems to be the case.

35 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That's exactly how they came up with the entire plot to The Rise of Palpatine.

Where did she say this?

44 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I told a non-music friend about how much the score stunk, and he keeps sending me people on Star Wars forums that specifically note the music being disappointing. So at least from what I've seen, that seems to be the case.

That's exactly how they came up with the entire plot to The Rise of Palpatine.

Where did she say this?

Her twitter photo with JW 

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

For real?  If I had a nickel for every time people told me Internet petitions are useless…

5 hours ago, Gibster said:

We really gotta figure out what wen’t down behind the scenes with this score

I gotta say it, I find it a little sus that people are looking for conspiracy theories for the first SW score by a woman.

46 minutes ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

I gotta say it, I find it a little sus that people are looking for conspiracy theories for the first SW score by a woman.

I hold baseless accusations of sexism to the same regard I hold accusations that someone was only hired for the sake of diversity

You should’ve seen the theory-crafting at the time of Giacchino’s Rogue One, oof 

On 02/06/2022 at 11:43 AM, Counterparts said:

Even worse then the techno episode of Clone Wars? ;)

I'm glad you bring this up, because it makes me realize that I'm being a bit hypocritical in my criticism of the Kenobi score.

I really like the music for The Clone Wars, but that has some stuff that recalls Zimmer (the upfront percussion is what comes to my mind. Also the techno stuff like you said - it is a huge departure from the JW material, but the little 10 year old me thought it was awesome when I heard it on one of the promotional websites and in the video games!) And The Clone Wars show really makes a point to not reuse familiar themes unless it seemed absolutely necessary (Filoni's thoughts really. For example, I remember him saying that they didn't use the Force theme unless it made sense to do so). But then, why didn't they use Anakin's theme from Ep. 1? Why didn't they use Across the Stars for all of Anakin and Padmé's scenes together, and instead used a new theme? Why didn't they have a Kenobi theme for this show that was then carried over into this show? The logic for these questions is similar to what I just recently argued for this show, but I never really questioned those things as a kid because I didn't think in those terms/didn't care!

I had a feeling that maybe I was going over the top with my opinions on the music for the Kenobi show, but now I am a little more balanced in it. My opinion will be better formed once the score releases, I soak that in, and then rewatch the show with those themes in mind.

I can only speak for myself personally, but I guess when I get down to it, I wish this score was more orchestral, and that it used themes we know from earlier films for familiar characters, planets, etc. But I want that for every Star Wars project - I'm very old school and am very aware of that bias. I know that my opinion is not everyone else's here in this thread, and I say that because I don't want to paint in broad strokes what everyone thinks here - "Oh well the people here just want what we've always gotten." That's not true for everyone here. But for myself personally, that is absolutely true, and I'm not afraid to admit it!! I didn't really care for the Mando, Boba Fett, Bad Batch, Clone Wars S7 scores except for the moments that used orchestral colors. That's what I'm mainly attracted to. That and good melodic development, strong use of harmony, and engaging orchestration. And of course if it supports the story.

7 hours ago, HunterTech said:

After the whole Captain Marvel situation where that was more of a blatant effort to disparage Pinar Toprak (for which Giacchino had to step up and clarify things)

oh wow what happened?

a lot of this blablabla females and blablaba first female composer wouldn't be such an issue if writing music for orchestra hadn't been such a closed off boys club for so long (and often performing it too)

5 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Kenobi VS Vader ‘Music’ 3.52-4.16

https://youtu.be/7Bsa4Nq1TuI?t=232

Was this the temp track? 

7.24- to end. 

https://youtu.be/4FgHkfi-9Cs?t=444

Lol, that explains why that was my least favorite part of the cue. Unbelievable, you get William Ross and you try to make him write like Hans Zimmer?

10 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Is the theme at 2:01 Holt's?

I’ve wondered about that. For some reason the string section there sounds really fake to my ears. The phrasing of the notes sounds really unnatural and disjointed, with strange little swells. Almost sounds like a computer mock-up with samples…

2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I’ve wondered about that. For some reason the string section there sounds really fake to my ears. The phrasing of the notes sounds really unnatural and disjointed, with strange little swells. Almost sounds like a computer mock-up with samples…

I like it! 

41 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Was this the temp track? 

7.24- to end. 

Dang. Wish we had gotten something so much better for that bit now. 😢

24 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

To my ears, almost everything supposedly attributed to Holt sounds like a cheap synth mockup. Any orchestral elements are barely perceptible, or so heavily processed they might as well be synth. 

2 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Was this the temp track? 

7.24- to end. 

Speculation on my end here. But I hear this note progression, whatever you want to call it, a ton in modern scores. It's like a cheap emotional rip-off of the Force theme. A shorthand for "this moment's really important, so pay attention?" I hear it in Brian Tyler's work from MW3 and Thor, and even in Bad Batch S1 (I believe when they're in the mine carts on Ord Mantell.) It's pretty interesting that that has developed, actually. Almost like how an upward note progression has become equated with religious transcendence, like with Franz Liszt's music to represent Christ, and in this case, how the world of film music has the Force theme to signify something greater than the sum of its parts occurring at a particular moment in the film. But of course other composers can't use that theme, so it's been reduced in shorthand to the key or notes that take you on an upward trajectory. B, C#, D, E, and then back to B. Sometimes F# after E.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

To my ears, almost everything supposedly attributed to Holt sounds like a cheap synth mockup. Any orchestral elements are barely perceptible, or so heavily processed they might as well be synth. 

i bet she didn't even have an orchestra, either because she was told or she was denied it. the same way the show looks cheap and unlike the movies that sandwich it.

2 hours ago, p0llux said:

I can acknowledge the patriarchal society we live in and especially in film music. However, if this score was written by a man, we would've roasted him the same. The sus activity from Disney and the sus performance of this score are the issues at hand, not the composer's gender. 

I agree with this.

3 hours ago, Dave said:

I watched Episodes 1 & 2 so far and it baffles me how Holt not uses Williams' Themes... so I rescored the Rooftop Fight / Leia's Rescue scene (more or less in JW's style) with Obi's Theme, Leia's Theme and the Force Theme. I kept what I think is Reva's Theme because I quite liked it.

Hearing the Force theme there feels SO good. Thank you!!!

3 hours ago, Dave said:

I watched Episodes 1 & 2 so far and it baffles me how Holt not uses Williams' Themes... so I rescored the Rooftop Fight / Leia's Rescue scene (more or less in JW's style) with Obi's Theme, Leia's Theme and the Force Theme. I kept what I think is Reva's Theme because I quite liked it.

Great Job!

5 hours ago, Dave said:

Brilliant. 

Perhaps they should have gone with an AI fed an exclusive diet of JW Star Wars score. They're ready doing with some of the voices so why not?