Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

40 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I just watched the first 3 episodes and experienced the music of Natalie Holt, and I can officially announce that yes, it is in fact possible to contract all the different forms of cancer at once.

What does this mean?

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I just watched the first 3 episodes and experienced the music of Natalie Holt, and I can officially announce that yes, it is in fact possible to contract all the different forms of cancer at once.

Even testicular?

On 3/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, toothless said:

Just watched ep 3… I will preface this by saying I loved Loki's score and am by no mean a Nathalie Holt hater or anything. I will also say that I found Powell's score for Solo to be great so I'm not just shittalking because it's not Williams score. But wow… the music in that episode was so bad… the music itself was bored to death and so was I. How can you possibly end up with this! There's something fishy imho.

Can't comment on Loki's score. I kind of just went through it with no notice of anything, but I really liked Powell on Solo! So I 100% agree.

Ep4 is almost upon us. Can Holt dig herself out of this hole? The bar is pretty low at this point. An "orchestral" score is a lost cause. But will there be usage of any legacy themes? Is it even possible for her to still win? Taking predictions now. 

17 minutes ago, p0llux said:

Ep4 is almost upon us. Can Holt dig herself out of this hole? The bar is pretty low at this point. An "orchestral" score is a lost cause. But will there be usage of any legacy themes? Is it even possible for her to still win? Taking predictions now. 

If i was lucafilm i would be doing recording sessions to record legacy themes inserts either from holt or ross and try to salvage the three remaining episodes….

50 minutes ago, p0llux said:

I assume if she plans to use them it will be in ep5-6 makes no sense to use it now at this point sadly.

10 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

The music was so good!! It sounded like Star Wars in so many places. I think we had our first small but clear hint of original Star Wars music at 26:15. Those dissonant chords are from the beginning of Episode 4 (again, copied by John Williams from Holst's The Planets)

I agree. This episode had a good step up in music (which was expected since 4-6's music were meant to be much better)

I thought I heard Death Star Attack when the T-47's were leaving.. but alas

Music was better this episode, would be curious to check it out on the inevitable album

Highlight is probably the music that plays during the hallway fight that had a bit of complexity and energy to it. Unfortunately those are really low standards relative to other Star Wars soundtracks but I'll still give credit where it's due

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's increasingly clear to me that JW (and Ross) were brought in to fix a score that wasn't working. This wasn't a Solo situation. 

Should have dumped the score and started fresh rather than trying to put a plaster on. 

28 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Should have dumped the score and started fresh rather than trying to put a plaster on. 

There probably wasn't enough time, but it does seem like most of the big moments have been totally rescored by Ross. For example, the big climax escape from the hanger at the end of this episode was clearly all Ross.

All the suspense/action music when Obi was escaping with Leia must have been Ross too, and that comprised almost half the episode.

And boy was it obvious when it went back to Holt material a few moments later, when Vader chokes the Third Sister.

Is the prevailing thought therefore that perhaps the director and LFL/Disney weren't agreeing on the musical direction and they were therefore trying to decide whether (or to what extent) to replace Holt's score? It would tally with the unusual delay in announcing the composer.

I mean, if the suits were really not happy with Holt's music, they'd have shelled out whatever cash to have it completelyrescored at the 11th hour.

17 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Until we have concrete credits for who worked on which cue I’d be careful to not let confirmation bias to cloud your judgment

If you’ve already made up your mind that Natalie provides poor music for Star Wars and William Ross provides fitting music, then any cue that you think fits the Star Wars lexicon you would attribute to Ross

The truth is likely much murkier than that

This ^

31 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Until we have concrete credits for who worked on which cue I’d be careful to not let confirmation bias to cloud your judgment

If you’ve already made up your mind that Natalie provides poor music for Star Wars and William Ross provides fitting music, then any cue that you think fits the Star Wars lexicon you would attribute to Ross

The truth is likely much murkier than that

I wouldn't say it's confirmation bias. I really like the final cue of this episode and I'm honestly not sure if it's Holt or Ross.

Overall it just seems obvious which material belongs to Holt and which to Ross. We can assume any cue featuring the Obi theme is Ross, because he's credited as the person who adapted it. And the cues featuring variations on Obi's theme were the standout cues in this episode.

There's also a noticeable difference in recording acoustics for his cues, not to mention the orchestration sounds like a continuation of where Williams left off in the sequel trilogy. The overall texture is orchestral, rather than heavily processed with synth/percussion overlays.

Hah! Even the little flute passage at 0:21 in the TROS cue sounds similar to the flute at 1:41 in the OWK cue :D

So either temp track love, or Ross was so stretched for time he started adapting JW cues from the films.

You know what I find funny about this show? Usually when there's a case of composers who worked on different occasions on the same project and the music switches, it's very distracting. It's a reason I can't watch Age of Ultron because when it switches from Brian Tyler to Danny Elfman to Alan Silvestri within a single minute, I get a headache.

But especially in episode 4, it doesn't bother me. I get Natalie's industrial, atmospheric music and more Williams-esque stuff whenever Ross comes in. And it never ruins the flow of the episode for me. And considering how painfully distracting the music editing in TROS was, this is almost a miracle.

But I wonder what a soundtrack release will look like in terms of credits. I remember MCU fans asked the same question with Age of Ultron, but ultimately that soundtrack had cues solely credited to Tyler and separate cues solely credited to Elfman. I can't wait to sink my teeth into an album because I'm dying to make a Reva suite for my channel. 

And I think I heard a Tala theme in this episode. And Natalie's Darth Vader theme still gives me chills.

52 minutes ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

You know what I find funny about this show? Usually when there's a case of composers who worked on different occasions on the same project and the music switches, it's very distracting. It's a reason I can't watch Age of Ultron because when it switches from Brian Tyler to Danny Elfman to Alan Silvestri within a single minute, I get a headache.

But especially in episode 4, it doesn't bother me. I get Natalie's industrial, atmospheric music and more Williams-esque stuff whenever Ross comes in. And it never ruins the flow of the episode for me. And considering how painfully distracting the music editing in TROS was, this is almost a miracle.

But I wonder what a soundtrack release will look like in terms of credits. I remember MCU fans asked the same question with Age of Ultron, but ultimately that soundtrack had cues solely credited to Tyler and separate cues solely credited to Elfman. I can't wait to sink my teeth into an album because I'm dying to make a Reva suite for my channel. 

And I think I heard a Tala theme in this episode. And Natalie's Darth Vader theme still gives me chills.

I back this. The music changes never take me out of it. I like both styles a lot

6 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is it really fair to credit every Obi-Wan theme statement we hear to Ross?

Holt said in interviews that she also worked with Williams' theme. So I don't think that every adaptation of the theme is by Ross. At least wait with crediting it all to Ross when it's made official. I don't think it's fair to Holt, to discredit her completely

If it's good it can't be from Holt tbh. 

I liked the music of episode 4 regardless of who wrote it. Hope the next episodes continue and improve the trend.

still no vader theme or imperial motif, sad.

28 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Her work on Loki was excellent. Why is it so impossible that her uses of Williams's theme could be decent?

Yavar

I was being sarcastic based on some.. people in this thread.

I love her myself :)

15 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

This episode seemed to have a lot more of an orchestral vibe (I might be going insane)

What did people think of the music? I noticed less synths anyway :P

That's because William Ross scored almost the whole thing, lol.

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is it really fair to credit every Obi-Wan theme statement we hear to Ross?

Holt said in interviews that she also worked with Williams' theme. So I don't think that every adaptation of the theme is by Ross. At least wait with crediting it all to Ross when it's made official. I don't think it's fair to Holt, to discredit her completely

It's absolutely fair when the treatment of the theme sounds like... William Ross/John Williams. I remember maybe one instance of the theme in the first or second episode that sounded like Holt did it. All these juicy renditions, though, are clearly Ross.

7 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I love the synths personally, synth music will forever be sick as fuck, especially for tense scenes BUT I liked todays music a lot as well.

10 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Is the prevailing thought therefore that perhaps the director and LFL/Disney weren't agreeing on the musical direction and they were therefore trying to decide whether (or to what extent) to replace Holt's score? It would tally with the unusual delay in announcing the composer.

I mean, if the suits were really not happy with Holt's music, they'd have shelled out whatever cash to have it completelyrescored at the 11th hour.

That's what I think. You may be interested to read my theory in this post:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34590-natalie-holts-obi-wan-kenobi-2022/page/10/#comment-1889486

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I was able to get relatively clean versions of these two Ross cues from episode 4.

Lots of nice little Star Wars-ian flourishes throughout; he really nails the classic Williams orchestration.

SPOILERY if you haven't seen episode 4, obviously.

Note at 1:49 in the first clip, the same motif from the new Lucasfilm/Star Wars logo. 2:17 is reminiscent of the unused Rey Runs cue from The Last Jedi (deleted scene).

I suspect the first ~50 seconds of the second clip is actually Holt material; there's an awkward crossfade at 0:50.

Overall his writing seems like a natural continuation of the sequel trilogy, which makes sense (given he worked on all 3).

Hmm, hearing them isolated I think the first track is decent and fits the vibe of the Sequel Trilogy but that second track really barely resembles Star Wars let alone the Sequel Trilogy despite it being fully orchestrated

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, he did the same thing back with Chamber of Secrets.  

Seems like for much of the viewership, Holt will get all of the credit. 

From Avclub Review

• Let us sing the praises of composer Natalie Holt. It’s no easy feat to build on the monumental legacy of John Williams who turned so many of the Star Wars themes into iconic pieces of film music history. She joins the likes of Michael Giacchino (Rogue One) and Ludwig Göransson (The Mandalorian) as a welcome heir to Williams’ scores. In this episode in particular, especially in its climactic moments when Leia is being interrogated and later when Obi-Wan fends off Stormtroopers around the fortress, her soaring, thrilling compositions feel decidedly vintage Star Wars yet hum with a contemporary urgency that’s wholly novel.