Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

So what's occurring to me now is that no one is using the themes we know and/or exist already for characters, ideas etc. (the Imperial March, the Force theme, Leia's theme, the Inquisitor theme from Rebels)... I wonder if that was a blanket decision from the creatives and/or producers, or if there is something else at play. At the very least, we can reasonably guess that it was discussed, for example, that when Vader shows up his theme might accompany him. But that's not the direction they've gone in so far. It's curious and a bit strange, innit?

Also, I just want to reiterate that I've been really harsh on this show. Episodes 3 especially just really didn't do it for me all that much, but I've been revisiting sections of Ep. 3 because of Vader - can't get enough of him. That and the fact that I realized I was being hypocritical because there is music like Natalie Holt's in The Clone Wars, a show I love to death. So my opinion has softened a bit more, and this episode today gives me a lot of faith again in the way they're handling everything. I thought it was really well done this week. It helps too that the production dollars are really showing up on the small screen.

If most of the show ended up scored using more traditional methods then I'd tend to go with the idea that a last-minute decision was made to dump a lot of Holt's material and go in a different direction.

But if the result of Holt et al resulted in this, it indicates that perhaps those higher up weren't as unhappy with the approach as some are suggesting. Maybe they decided a few sequences should sound different, hence Ross' involvement.

Also possible they didn't actually expect Williams would be available or interested in writing a theme, and when he agreed to do it it threw a spanner in the works (so they hurriedly asked Ross to find key moments across the series where he could integrate the theme, while Holt finished the last few episodes).

20 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is it really fair to credit every Obi-Wan theme statement we hear to Ross?

Holt said in interviews that she also worked with Williams' theme. So I don't think that every adaptation of the theme is by Ross. At least wait with crediting it all to Ross when it's made official. I don't think it's fair to Holt, to discredit her completely

I just assumed they worked together. Not as co-composers but that Natalie still guided the music for consistency sake.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Album complete, coming after the series wraps.

Woo!!!!! I can't wait to listen to the music on its own.

Hope her and Ross come back for future projects. I think Skeleton Crew's vibe requires more Williams than Ludwig, so Ross can do that. The Acolyte sounds right up Natalie's alley.

3 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

Hope her and Ross come back for future projects. I think Skeleton Crew's vibe requires more Williams than Ludwig, so Ross can do that. The Acolyte sounds right up Natalie's alley.

Skelleton crew is directed or produced by one of giacchinos director-friends so i hope he returns to the franchise. He cant do worse than the crap they are getting musically nowadays…

4 hours ago, p0llux said:

So Ep4 finally arrived. The bar was very low to begin with and I'd say this ep raised the bar slightly. This ep sounded more "orchestral" for some unknown internal reason. Is the music team out of the hole? Absolutely not. With just 2 eps left, there isn't much time to climb out, but maybe they can break even. Highlights include obviously the water hallway music and I liked the Holt/Ross imperial motif as Tala infiltrates. 

Reveal hidden contents

I think the tension throughout this episode matched the style of this score well. However, I think that's entirely accidental because we've heard this wallpaper style through every sort of scene in the whole series so far.:sarcasm:

5 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

I just assumed they worked together. Not as co-composers but that Natalie still guided the music for consistency sake.

Woo!!!!! I can't wait to listen to the music on its own.

I think Acolyte would be perfect for Natalie to do on her own for sure.

Ross/Gordy/Giacchino doing Skeleton would great and I want Powell back for Lando.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Skelleton crew is directed or produced by one of giacchinos director-friends so i hope he returns to the franchise. He cant do worse than the crap they are getting musically nowadays…

Imagine a Super 8 score in the Star Wars universe!  Holy cow!  Except wait, Giacchino will be busy scoring every tentpole theatrical release for every studio in Hollywood by then...

On 01/06/2022 at 7:55 PM, DarthDementous said:

I love the Droid motif, where specifically in the Solo score is it, really curious to hear what Powell did with it

Been meaning to reply to this comment for over a week, but I finally tracked it down again.  It begins around 1:50 in "Marauders Arrive" on the OST (not sure about the deluxe), churning in low strings, and then it becomes higher and more notable around 2:10.  It's at about 35:05 in the movie on Disney+, right after Thandiwe Newton announces the arrival of the probe droids and we get an establishing shot of them.

4 hours ago, aj_vader said:

Kenobi Scene rescored with... SPOILERS for Episode 4 of the show! 

Damn, that's a lot more effective. Am I mistaken or is that a cue from The Force Unleashed 2?

3 hours ago, igger6 said:

Been meaning to reply to this comment for over a week, but I finally tracked it down again.  It begins around 1:50 in "Marauders Arrive" on the OST (not sure about the deluxe), churning in low strings, and then it becomes higher and more notable around 2:10.  It's at about 35:05 in the movie on Disney+, right after Thandiwe Newton announces the arrival of the probe droids and we get an establishing shot of them.

Cheers! That definitely sounds like it alright, I mustn't have noticed because the rhythm is different to what I was used to

17 hours ago, p0llux said:

Hide contents

The Leia hiding under trench coat scene was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

Actually, I would have loved to see, how that group of three people gets actually picked up by the snow speeder from that platform. But unfortunetly they didn't show how they squeze themselves together with the pilot into that two people cockpit.

16 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

I think Acolyte would be perfect for Natalie to do on her own for sure.

Ross/Gordy/Giacchino doing Skeleton would great and I want Powell back for Lando.

Powell doing Lando would be boss af. Though considering Justin Simien's involvement, Kris Bowers has a really good shot at it.

3 hours ago, aj_vader said:

It certainly is, track one from the OST of FUII

Nice, my memory does not fail me. I could picture Vader landing on Kamino and walking through those gleaming white halls flanked by stormtroopers

I believe Griskey even uses the Arrival on Kamino motif in that cue too which is icing on the cake in terms of musical continuity

7 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

here's the BTS for some background extras in the opening of ep 1... what is this weird variation of the Jedi Temple March music thats being played on set lol

Has anyone ever heard this version before?

I watched the first episode of this, and I can't lie...Holt's score was massively disappointing. Granted, the whole episode felt like a sterile SW spinoff, with little cinematic scope.

The classiest thing was easily Williams' theme. And the showrunners clearly knew that, since they were milking the variations ad nauseum. The Obi-Wan theme variations sound distinctly different from the rest of the trailer/Zimmer-esque score in style and orchestration, so I suspect the theory that William Ross handled all that material holds true.

It's disappointing because I thought Holt showed some promise with Loki. At least with what I've heard from The Mandalorian, Ludwig's textural explorations had a real personality to them. The score here, mostly sounds like budget 2000s TV music, but maybe it gets better? I doubt I'll be continuing with the show anyway.

3 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

Powell doing Lando would be boss af. Though considering Justin Simien's involvement, Kris Bowers has a really good shot at it.

I wouldn't mind Kris Bowers taking a shot at Star Wars - I somewhat remember liking his music for Bridgerton.

On 09/06/2022 at 7:42 AM, mstrox said:

Album complete, coming after the series wraps.

So wait - she just finished the score yesterday, or the album selections?

7 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

here's the BTS for some background extras in the opening of ep 1... what is this weird variation of the Jedi Temple March music thats being played on set lol

Where'd you find this? Just curious

5 hours ago, aj_vader said:

It certainly is, track one from the OST of FUII

That score is awesome. So glad that the music of KOTOR II just got released commercially. Hope Mr. Griskey gets his fair share of the royalties on that.

32 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

The album better have William Ross' stuff on it. In some ways I can't imagine it not having it, as that would be absolutely insane. But still, for some reason I'm worried...

Imagine hearing 2 months ago what has gone down with this score, nothing surprises me at this point

7 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

I feel like that's some Samuel Kim music for the Droid March. I don't know though

I will actually die if they’ve been listening to Samuel Kim over the original tracks

7 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

That score is awesome. So glad that the music of KOTOR II just got released commercially. Hope Mr. Griskey gets his fair share of the royalties on that.

Unfortunately last year Griskey made it public that allegedly Lucasfilm wasn’t paying him the residuals he was owed according to his contract and I don’t know if there was any resolution to that

He’s not the only one to come forward about that either

19 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Unfortunately last year Griskey made it public that allegedly Lucasfilm wasn’t paying him the residuals he was owed according to his contract and I don’t know if there was any resolution to that

He’s not the only one to come forward about that either

That's really sad to hear. Do you have a source or link for that?

19 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I will actually die if they’ve been listening to Samuel Kim over the original tracks

Hahahaha!! Yeah that would be weird if they did that/if that proves to be the case. I gotta Shazam it and see. I wonder if they liked the tempo or if the song was enough of the vibe of the prequels... dunno. Lots of people use the Samuel Kim music on their Instagram posts and stuff, so maybe the crew members (grips, etc.) know those tracks from Sam Kim better than the actual JW material, unfortunately. Total guess.

30 minutes ago, artus_grayboot said:

That's really sad to hear. Do you have a source or link for that?

Most relevant tweet: 

This appears to be something that happened in the past so I’m not sure how it works now since LucasArts was restructured

As for the other composers my memory is too foggy to recall anything so take that with a massive grain of salt

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Most relevant tweet: 

This appears to be something that happened in the past so I’m not sure how it works now since LucasArts was restructured

As for the other composers my memory is too foggy to recall anything so take that with a massive grain of salt

Super duper appreciate it. Thank you!!

Yeah... so either Griskey negotiated to only being paid upfront, or it was put upon him by LucasArts to accept that (it would be cheaper for them, maybe?). How interesting. Am curious to know more.

12 minutes ago, artus_grayboot said:

Super duper appreciate it. Thank you!!

Yeah... so either Griskey negotiated to only being paid upfront, or it was put upon him by LucasArts to accept that (it would be cheaper for them, maybe?). How interesting. Am curious to know more.

Feel free to look at his other tweets from around that time for more insight, although they’re a bit disjointed 

Just now, DarthDementous said:

Feel free to look at his other tweets from around that time for more insight, although they’re a bit disjointed 

That's why I asked for a link - I recently looked through his tweets up to Dec. 2021 to remember what all had happened to him after seeing his KOTOR II release tweet, and I just didn't see an exact quote on what you were stating. Again, I super appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, artus_grayboot said:

That's why I asked for a link - I recently looked through his tweets up to Dec. 2021 to remember what all had happened to him after seeing his KOTOR II release tweet, and I just didn't see an exact quote on what you were stating. Again, I super appreciate it.

Make sure you look at 'Tweets and re-tweets' as I don't think all the relevant tweets show up when you're just looking at 'Tweets'

She talks here about using the pre-excisting themes. 

I'm sure people won't agree with the decision the filmmakers made about using them sparingly, but I do get where they're coming from storywise

1 hour ago, LSH said:

I don't care what she's saying (and I'm not a conspiracy theorist), there is definitely more to this story, as others have posited. The involvement of Ross is a flag immediately.

I do feel sorry for her though. Imagine boasting that ET was your motivation to enter the film music industry... then getting a job on a Williams legacy project... and then having to pump out the most generic, bland, soul-less wallpaper paste ever.

That is true, William Ross wasn't involved in the other non-Williams Star Wars soundtracks, even the ones that had new Williams themes written for them

There is certainly an extenuating circumstance present for Kenobi that wasn't there for the others

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

She talks here about using the pre-excisting themes. 

I'm sure people won't agree with the decision the filmmakers made about using them sparingly, but I do get where they're coming from storywise

Has there been any “seeding of the legacy themes”?