Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

That is true, William Ross wasn't involved in the other non-Williams Star Wars soundtracks, even the ones that had new Williams themes written for them

There is certainly an extenuating circumstance present for Kenobi that wasn't there for the others

And it's awful that she is having to hide it all, poor girl.

8 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

She talks here about using the pre-excisting themes. 

I'm sure people won't agree with the decision the filmmakers made about using them sparingly, but I do get where they're coming from storywise

Based on what she said, we'll finally hear legacy themes in ep6? She uses the word "seeding". Did she mean hint the themes? I've heard no hints/seeds so far. If holding the legacy themes back until ep6 was the plan, then so be it. Better late than never. But this approach isn't really in the spirit of Star Wars. I hope she'll deliver in ep6. I still support Natalie Holt, whether she was the best choice for this job or not.

Tinfoil hat moment: Also any body language Sherlocks here? There's something odd about her response when she answered the question about quoting motifs. I can't put my finger on it.

2 hours ago, p0llux said:

Based on what she said, we'll finally hear legacy themes in ep6? She uses the word "seeding". Did she mean hint the themes? I've heard no hints/seeds so far. If holding the legacy themes back until ep6 was the plan, then so be it. Better late than never. But this approach isn't really in the spirit of Star Wars. I hope she'll deliver in ep6. I still support Natalie Holt, whether she was the best choice for this job or not.

Tinfoil hat moment: Also any body language Sherlocks here? There's something odd about her response when she answered the question about quoting motifs. I can't put my finger on it.

Holt has described her young Leia music as having seeds/elements of JW's Leia theme. But honestly, nothing about any of the music in the show has stood out enough for me to notice details like that. Until we get an official soundtrack release, I can only say the music has been underwhelming and I haven't noticed any musical seeds planted. 

6 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

That is true, William Ross wasn't involved in the other non-Williams Star Wars soundtracks, even the ones that had new Williams themes written for them

There is certainly an extenuating circumstance present for Kenobi that wasn't there for the others

William ross is an orchestrator in rogue one…

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Interesting. Is William Ross more than an orchestrator on Kenobi?

What do you mean? We’ve been talking for weeks now about how he gets his own standalone listing in the end credits for adapting JW’s Kenobi theme…

Not to mention that he’s written at least a couple big cues so far: the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in episode 3 and Obi-Wan’s hallway fight in episode 4.

22 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

What do you mean? We’ve been talking for weeks now about how he gets his own standalone listing in the end credits for adapting JW’s Kenobi theme…

Not to mention that he’s written at least a couple big cues so far: the Obi-Wan/Vader duel in episode 3 and Obi-Wan’s hallway fight in episode 4.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is between an arranger and an orchestrator. Do you have an image of that standalone listing so I can see the wording?

Also, can someone grab an image of the 'Additional music by' credit in Kenobi episode 4? I don't have Disney+ myself to be able to verify it

Here's what it says on William Ross's official site:
image.png

48 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is between an arranger and an orchestrator. Do you have an image of that standalone listing so I can see the wording?

Also, can someone grab an image of the 'Additional music by' credit in Kenobi episode 4? I don't have Disney+ myself to be able to verify it

Here's what it says on William Ross's official site:
image.png

Not a single mention of obiwan on Holt’s site, she had loki up on the first episode

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Sorry if I missed something in the thread, but how do we know that ? 

32 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

Zrzut ekranu (99).png

Isn’t it funny how Holt is billed as the main composer of the show, but all her people are listed after William Ross?

EDIT: To be fair, Ross is obviously a bigger name than those other people, and also has the adapting credit for the show. But still, it’s just interesting seeing Holt’s team of composers listed beneath him.

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Aside from the orchestration and feeling, i think some resembled a cue in talenof desperaux score by ross, a score which i dont think holt would quote….

It's the score that made her want to become a composer 

24 minutes ago, eitam said:

Sorry if I missed something in the thread, but how do we know that ? 

Here’s a comment I made back when we were discussing this:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34590-natalie-holts-obi-wan-kenobi-2022/page/9/#comment-1889238

Since then, I’m even more certain that Ross did the Obi/Vader duel. In addition to his “adapting” credit, in episode 4 he also got an “additional music” credit. The music for the Obi-Wan hallway fight both felt very Star-Wars-y, and included JW’s Obi-Wan theme. All you need to assume Ross did it is the presence of the Obi-Wan theme, but the cue goes well beyond that theme, and also features orchestration (and sound mix/orchestra performance) that sounds just like the Obi/Vader duel in the previous episode. And again, as I said in my linked comment and as @Luke Skywalker said above, there is music in that duel that resembles Ross’ Tale of Despereaux score.

My guess is that it was the producers that decided not to go with the well-known themes. I don't think Holt or Ross would make that kind of decision. But if we're to take Holt's comments at face value, then yes she was very careful to build up to the themes in A New Hope akin to Loki. But as @Tydirium has stated, the movies and shows that chronologically take place before this one put the well-known themes on full display (The Clone Wars using Vader's theme, for example. It didn't develop the theme or reduce it to building blocks/cells of the idea). It's a strange creative decision that creates a lack of continuity.

But, here's the counterargument that makes this all less "speculation central" and to me makes sense. Thank you @p0llux for opening my mind to this possibility with your thoughts. I haven't seen Loki, but based on that interview alone, she stated that she was seeding themes to build up to the final episode. If that's what we're getting with Kenobi - a delay of these themes from being fully stated until the dramatic climax - I will recall most of the reservations I've been having. It's like what John Williams did in E.T, and I think based on the large amount of internet discourse re: the lack of well-known themes so far in this show, it will prove to be a good choice. It's delayed gratification if I ever saw it. 

@p0llux does make a good point though that this seeding approach isn't really in the spirit of Star Wars - I agree on that. But again, if it's to build up to a dramatic climax, and if it's done well, I'll probably go with it.

44 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I posted a link to the video interview over on reddit:

Already over a hundred comments, pretty much all bashing the score. 😳

Does she talk about it more in her full interview? It’s kinda funny how the story of Williams involvement has changed everytime they speak about it, there was no way he called and asked, she now says it was always part of the gig

In general I think, when I don't recognize the music during watching the show, then it is good. When I recognize it, it is usually bad. But that happens only in a few moments when the music dominates. Therefore probably the music is mostly ok somehow.

But, as many others said,  I really don't see any point in this franitc avoidance of classical themes as if no prequels ever existed.

18 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

For first video, it's the same harmonies/chord progression as the Imperial March with the new Vader theme as the melody. You hear in those low strings.

For the second video, the two-note motif seems to borrow the notes from the Imperial motif in A New Hope. G G G G A# A#... G A# A#... G#/Ab, A# G#/Ab G. Whereas the two notes in the Kenobi score is just G... A#...

For the young Leia theme, at 40:29 in Ep. 3 you'll hear two notes from the JW melody. @Falstaftpointed out that moment on his reduction of the themes on page 10 - his identification of the variation on the young Leia theme starts at 40:22.

Oh I missed these hints. The first one was a big giveaway, but I only watched the ep once and I wasn't as hyper focused as I normally would at that point in the series. In my opinion, the 2nd and 3rd ones were far more trivial. The casual listener isn't gonna hear anything, especially the 2nd one in that kind of an arrangement.

So I was wrong, she did leave hints. I don't claim to be a sherlock, even if I've been on this board for awhile. However, it seems like quite a bit of sherlocking was needed to identify at least 2 of those. If only we were all music sherlocks...

On 12/06/2022 at 10:33 AM, Van_Etten said:

Zrzut ekranu (99).png

Ok, this is curious: at least one of the earlier episodes credits Ross and John Williams for orchestrations, but here only Ross is credited for orchestrations (not counting the ones working with Holt). So what could that mean? I assumed the orchestration credit was probably for the end credits, but then it should be consistent for every episode. Did JW write (and orchestrate) some actual cues for the show?

29 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

So what could that mean? I assumed the orchestration credit was probably for the end credits, but then it should be consistent for every episode.

I wouldn't read too much into what could just be a minor mistake or typo when compiling the credits. Lots of things 'should' be... doesn't mean that they are.

Do you think they even know the difference?

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

This is actually a nightmare scenario wtf

Imagine using a generic trailer music style cover as the inspiration while filming instead of the actual iconic Williams piece. Utterly insane. No wonder the music sounds the way it does

43 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Do you think they even know the difference?

Probably not. This very much feels like an extension of people mistaking this style of trailer music as something composed by John Williams and expressing disappointment when it isn't on the soundtrack release

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Imagine using a generic trailer music style cover as the inspiration while filming instead of the actual iconic Williams piece. Utterly insane. No wonder the music sounds the way it does

Lol, this is legitimately sad if no one even recognized that it wasn't JW's original music.

20 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I asked about this, was going to post it tomorrow with my opinion of ep5 score.. but since it was brought up: apparently it was the stunt performers choice. They chose whatever got them in the zone the most. So no, it's not a "nightmare scenario" that someone found music easier to work with.

But it doesn't feed into the narrative that modern film music is purely brain dead, so less likes for this post! :flush:

Once again, this is aggressively a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing, since now it seems that use of prior SW material in even this context is only met with distain. Suggesting once again that Holt using any pre-established themes would've only prompted a different kind of ire instead.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Suggesting once again that Holt using any pre-established themes would've only prompted a different kind of ire instead.

I don't know if that would necessarily be true, but it is true that Star Wars tends to be held to a really high standard among its fanbase (and rightfully so). Maybe you're right though. I'm pretty new to these forums though, so I don't know what the criticism of earlier, other composers that have worked in Star Wars looked like. I have seen a lot of people not like Kevin Kiner's work on here, though, which really did surprise me. I really like his stuff.

I really appreciate the balance you're trying to bring to the discussion by bringing this up, though! What kind of ire do you think would have happened if she used the pre-existing material?

1 hour ago, DIamondFire said:

apparently it was the stunt performers choice. They chose whatever got them in the zone the most. So no, it's not a "nightmare scenario" that someone found music easier to work with.

That does make sense from a tempo, heavy-drum-beat type of deal that it would inspire them to get into the zone. If what you're saying is true, I'm willing to give them a bit of grace. They're professional stunt performers, not professional musicians. And as snobby as I could be about it, especially in a forum about music, that's the reality of the situation. Live and let live.

2 hours ago, DIamondFire said:

I asked about this, was going to post it tomorrow with my opinion of ep5 score.. but since it was brought up: apparently it was the stunt performers choice. They chose whatever got them in the zone the most. So no, it's not a "nightmare scenario" that someone found music easier to work with.

That seems really strange to me that a stunt performer gets to dictate the musical mood on set, I’ve only heard that being something done by the directors at least when it comes to Star Wars

I’ve also never heard of a stunt performer performing to music on set

Banger episode and... banger music.

I myself heard a lot of hints of other existing themes which was great. Especially the weird anakins dark deeds very slowly towards the end as an underscore. I liked EVERY song in it. The fight music was great, the arrival music was great... I loved it all. GG to them lol