Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Zimmer's DC music may be more recognizable, but that doesn't make them good scores. I think I prefer listening to almost every MCU score, memorable or not, than to the drum inferno that is Man of Steel.

Man of Steel is way more than a drum inferno. 

Besides the best MCU movie score is clearly Winter Soldier

OK so I watched episode 3 the other night and thought I heard some decent music in the episode?

Have you guys sussed out what cues in this episode were probably Ross?

I did notice two things that kind of irked me though.  Early in the episode, I think around when stormtroopers first show up, there was a theme that sounded like it was trying to be The Imperial March, but wasn't.  And at another point, there was a theme that sounded like it was trying to be The Force Theme, but wasn't.  I didn't like either of these.

I think I remember liking the lightsaber battle music though?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

OK so I watched episode 3 the other night and thought I heard some decent music in the episode?

Have you guys sussed out what cues in this episode were probably Ross?

I did notice two things that kind of irked me though.  Early in the episode, I think around when stormtroopers first show up, there was a theme that sounded like it was trying to be The Imperial March, but wasn't.  And at another point, there was a theme that sounded like it was trying to be The Force Theme, but wasn't.  I didn't like either of these.

I think I remember liking the lightsaber battle music though?

Funny you should mention liking the lightsaber duel music; the lightsaber duel is the only thing that I’m 99.999% sure Ross did in that episode.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

there was a theme that sounded like it was trying to be The Imperial March, but wasn't.

I keep hearing something that sounds a bit like the ANH Imperial motif, just a bit. Maybe that's it?

Yea could be, I can't say I focus too deeply on the music the first time I'm watching something

Yes, yes, yes!!! DIES IRAE, IMPERIAL MARCH, LEIA and FORCE! We did it folks!

Although the statements somehow lacked some 'performance power', I'm still very happy to hear them.

I would have liked Luke's Theme somehow, that would have closed the circle of OT Themes perfectly. 

The Force Theme statement had a lot in common with the one during Leia and Rey's hug in TROS https://youtu.be/xOGiyALRe3o (0:14).

(Oh, it's so nice that both scenes feature Leia!)

However, I liked the statement of Leia's Theme the most, which touched me the most emotionally. I think Carrie Fisher would be very pleased to see young Leia played so beautifully.

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Yes, yes, yes!!! DIES IRAE, IMPERIAL MARCH, LEIA and FORCE! We did it folks!

Although the statements somehow lacked some 'performance power', I'm still very happy to hear them.

I would have liked Luke's Theme somehow, that would have closed the circle of OT Themes perfectly. 

The Force Theme statement had a lot in common with the one during Leia and Rey's hug in TROS https://youtu.be/xOGiyALRe3o (0:14).

(Oh, it's so nice that both scenes feature Leia!)

However, I liked the statement of Leia's Theme the most, which touched me the most emotionally. I think Carrie Fisher would be very pleased to see young Leia played so beautifully.

I agree. One of the only times I've ever teared up to a piece of media. Something about Leia's theme with the little girl man

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Yeah I'm rarely moved by scenes in TV shows but was pleasantly surprised by parts of this finale. Not gonna lie, I may have shed a tear or two when Obi and Leia had their farewell.

Just goes to show the power of Williams' music. I suspect we'll be debating for a few years whether they made a mistake not using his themes throughout the season, instead of holding them back until the very end.

The choir sounded almost entirely synth, yes. And very cheap.

Makes you wonder if they should've bothered, because it overshadowed whatever orchestral elements were actually recorded.

But that's an issue with much of the music in the series; it was so heavily processed it barely resembled a real orchestra.

If nothing else it made the Ross/Williams cues that much more obvious.

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The choir sounded almost entirely synth, yes. And very cheap.

Makes you wonder if they should've bothered, because it overshadowed whatever orchestral elements were actually recorded.

But that's an issue with much of the music in the series; it was so heavily processed it barely resembled a real orchestra.

If nothing else it made the Ross/Williams cues that much more obvious.

I really enjoyed the opening choir bit when Obi-Wan did his form stance... but then I feel like it didn't get intense enough until later on when it became chilling (which was MUCH appreciated).

I get the sense that JWFan will never be truly satisfied until everything Williams/Ross did is released, which obviously won't happen.

Note that I still say this largely from ignorance - the first time I hear anthing more than sfx-filled 30 second samples (apart from JW's suite) will be the album. My experience will be a good 'concept album' test.

5 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Very odd placement for the only rendition of the Imperial March, wish it accompanied a more significant character moment for Vader than him communing with his Master in his chair

not the best arrangement either. The Leia theme sounded good though

I loved the uses of the classic themes in this episode. They all made sense and worked really well. And I love the really subtle reprisal of Qui-Gon's Theme. Which if you listen closely, Obi-Wan's theme is very connected to it.

Now I just need the soundtrack and I'll be a happy girl.

I've seen a lot of people saying Ross did the fight with Kenobi but this is a direct conflict with what Holt said. She said she composed and "sung" for the show, the only time we hear choirs is for the fight so, to me, it's quite obvious she scored it. 

Personally I didn't like it, the choirs were so weak. If she didn't say she sung it I would have thought they were synths.

1 hour ago, Oswin Pond said:

I've seen a lot of people saying Ross did the fight with Kenobi but this is a direct conflict with what Holt said.

The fight uses Williams' Obi theme and Ross' Vader theme, but also has a lot of sequenced percussion which is very un-Ross. Someone needs to leak the cue sheets for this thing!

4 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Where?

The little choir statement at 15:38 when Obi-Wan ignites his saber, before Vader attacks. And again at 24:28 and 26:03. Just the very beginning of the theme, when the lyrics would be “madhurah swehpna”.

I really liked the choir cues, and when the Force theme played, that was the first and maybe only time this show felt like Star Wars. It makes me upset that NH was told to use it sparingly because I think it would've monumentally improved the show. I also thought the Imperial March and Leia's theme were very well-placed. For me, this episode redeemed the rest of the series' score, but I of course wish a lot of things had been different.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But it was a good quote to mind.

And, sorry, Williams' Kenobi theme was overused all over the series. It would have been good to either have a B-section in the theme, that would have made it less repetitive, or have a secondary theme that could be used from time to time. 

Just like when the Imperial March was introduced in ESB and was used in almost every cue.

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

Very odd placement for the only rendition of the Imperial March, wish it accompanied a more significant character moment for Vader than him communing with his Master in his chair

I interpreted it as him becoming even more Vader and less Anakin, giving up on caring about Kenobi, even in a negative sense, and the Emperor controlling him further.

37 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Just like when the Imperial March was introduced in ESB and was used in almost every cue.

To be fair ESB also has a dozen other themes which are also used constantly so when it comes back to the Imperial March you've had a break from it and heard plenty of variations of other themes. Whereas in Obi Wan it only goes back and forth between the Obi Wan theme and mindless RCP crap, back and forth... Leading to it getting repetitive when it is the only thematic material you ever hear

37 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

I interpreted it as him becoming even more Vader and less Anakin, giving up on caring about Kenobi, even in a negative sense, and the Emperor controlling him further.

Agreed, Vader saying he is no longer emotionally attached to Kenobi and that Papa Palpy is the only thing important to him is definitely Vader succumbing to the Emperors rule and letting go of the last thing that made him Anakin. He is 100% Vader now and he knows it. I think the Imperial March here is pretty fitting

6 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

To be fair ESB also has a dozen other themes which are also used constantly so when it comes back to the Imperial March you've had a break from it and heard plenty of variations of other themes. Whereas in Obi Wan it only goes back and forth between the Obi Wan theme and mindless RCP crap, back and forth... Leading to it getting repetitive when it is the only thematic material you ever hear

Exactly!

13 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

But there is other thematic material.....

3 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Right?!  As soon as that happened, I paused the video and said "Really?  THAT'S what you held off on using this theme for?!  This isn't satisfying!  This wasn't earned!"

Complete opposite for me. Its the perfect character moment to use it for if you are taking that approach haha

21 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

I suppose what you call thematic material I call "mindless RCP crap"

Well, yeah. "Thematic" is different than "Quality".

The duel would have been far more chilling if it were unscored.  Just like their duel on the Death Star 10 years later.   Lightsaber sounds should never become customary or ordinary. 

Spotting, people. Spotting. 

When Vader descended the steps of his shuttle, it would’ve been nice to hear some form of the March, maybe the B theme. Or the “Into the Trap” motif from ROTJ.