Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

10 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

I've seen a lot of people saying Ross did the fight with Kenobi but this is a direct conflict with what Holt said. She said she composed and "sung" for the show, the only time we hear choirs is for the fight so, to me, it's quite obvious she scored it. 

Personally I didn't like it, the choirs were so weak. If she didn't say she sung it I would have thought they were synths.

That was a real choir? 

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But it was a good quote to mind.

And, sorry, Williams' Kenobi theme was overused all over the series. It would have been good to either have a B-section in the theme, that would have made it less repetitive, or have a secondary theme that could be used from time to time. 

There is, the descending motif (which effectively acts like a B theme) in the suite gets used fairly often, for example when Kenobi is travelling into town to Mos Eisley in Episode 1

49 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

There is, the descending motif (which effectively acts like a B theme) in the suite gets used fairly often, for example when Kenobi is travelling into town to Mos Eisley in Episode 1

I really love its use when he is trying to hold the cracked glass in the hallway of Fortress Inquisitorius, in episode 4.

13 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

I've seen a lot of people saying Ross did the fight with Kenobi but this is a direct conflict with what Holt said. She said she composed and "sung" for the show, the only time we hear choirs is for the fight so, to me, it's quite obvious she scored it.

The middle section of the fight intercutting with Reva (which had the most choir) was definitely Holt's. But the beginning and ending of the fight wasn't. If she was acting as a member of the choir then she would've also sung on Ross' cues as well, as the sessions took place around (if not at) the same time. It's just that Holt and Ross wrote their material at separate times.

Plus Bill Ross was the sole conductor of the entire score (aside from John's theme of course).

8 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Well, yeah. "Thematic" is different than "Quality".

It is just ridiculous to compare the usage of the imperial march in TESB with the usage of Obi-Wan's theme in the series.

In the show almost e VG ery lyrical moment is covered wall to wall with this theme without much variation. That is completely different to how the imperial march is used in empire.

Ep6 is upon us. The series is finally over. Good riddance. Did we get delivered to the promised land? And the answer is: Narratively? I don't care. Musically? Too little too late. Imperial March inserted there did next to nothing for me. Interestingly, Leia's theme was the most impactful for me being inserted in that moment because it was like a rite of passage moment. The Force theme following it was alright. The rest of the score was just saturated with Obi Wan's theme to the brim without much variation. I felt they were milking it too hard. After all this, all I can say is: "Move along. Show's over folks. Nothing to see here." 

42 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

A French horn, which is the same instrument that played here theme in 1977, and sounds almost exactly the same? :pat:

It sounds farty. There's something about it, almost like how the Force theme sounds off in Rogue One, but here its more about the timbre.

Williams-Ross bits should make a nice 30-something minutes playlist which should develop the theme and flow nicely. I'm good with that. :)

Shame the Star Destroyer pursuit from the finale, featuring material quite similar to something from TESB, doesn't seem to be on there though.

Karol

Nice. I'm eager to listen to the music on its own. 

I hope we find out one day what happened behind the scenes with this score. It really does seem like John Williams' theme came at the last minute to replace Holt's own theme which she has said she did write one. Then William Ross was brought in to adapt JW's theme and give the series a more Star Wars sound. It suggests a lot of Holt's original material was scrapped. 

Wait… Is the Ross hallway cue from episode 4 not on the album??

EDIT: Anybody else find it strange that there’s only one album for this 6-episode show, when 6-episode D+ shows like Loki (Holt!) and Ms. Marvel get two albums? I’m glad some of the William Ross stuff looks to be on here, but there is still a lot missing… Why?

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

EDIT: Anybody else find it strange that there’s only one album for this 6-episode show, when 6-episode D+ shows like Loki (Holt!) and Ms. Marvel get two albums? I’m glad some of the William Ross stuff looks to be on here, but there is still a lot missing… Why?

Moon Knight had one album.

It really depends on what the composer(s) choose I think

5 hours ago, igger6 said:

After this mess, the whole of Star Wars fandom owes Michael Giacchino a gigantic apology.

Why do we owe Giacchino an apology? He got universal praise (maybe not on here I wasn't here at the time) in the Star Wars Fandom

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

That appears to be track 13 First Rescue, though the sample is filled with microedits :/

Hanger Escape appears to be the latter action where they escape in the snowspeeders... which is attributed to Holt (despite being filled with Obi's theme in the show). I guess this could be her original cue and the Ross replacement is unreleased?

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That appears to be track 13 First Rescue, though even the sample is filled with microedits.

I'm panicking that Holts rooftop music from Episode 2 isn't on the soundtrack. I can't find it

7 minutes ago, DiamondFire said:

I'm panicking that Holts rooftop music from Episode 2 isn't on the soundtrack. I can't find it

There's a lot missing here... but the lack of Ross material is the most grating for me.

Maybe they'll proceed with Vol.2 if enough people complain. I don't think a single Ross cue from Ep5 was included.

Just now, crumbs said:

There's a lot missing here... but the lack of Ross material is the most grating for me.

Maybe they'll proceed with Vol.2 if enough people complain. I don't think a single Ross cue from Ep5 was included.

Did he do anything for Ep5? I liked all the holt stuff from that so I'm not that mad. 

"Days of Alderaan" sounds different than it does in the episode. However, I think overall Holt's tracks sound much better on here than they do in the episodes, not sure why. 

It looks like Saying Goodbye only covers the Obi/Leia farewell scene, while everything that follows is unreleased :mellow:

Those final few minutes were filled with lovely renditions of the Obi theme :(

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It looks like Saying Goodbye only covers the Obi/Leia farewell scene, while everything that follows is unreleased :mellow:

Those final few minutes were filled with lovely renditions of the Obi theme :(

Thankfully there was very little talking etc so it's easy to rip.

They could address it to some extent by putting more isolated scores on BDs, which has actually been done to some mixed success with some of Fenton's BBC series.

But in the real world it's very annoying.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

But 23 minutes is barely scratching the surface of what Ross contributed.

I am not sure, if I want to listen to more Ross tracks like "I Will Do What I Must"; which is pretty much adapting Holt's style, which is really not my cup of tea.

59 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I am not sure, if I want to listen to more Ross tracks like "I Will Do What I Must"; which is pretty much adapting Holt's style, which is really not my cup of tea.

But there are plenty of Ross cues in the show that don’t sound like Holt…

10 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

But there are plenty of Ross cues in the show that don’t sound like Holt…

No doubt. But I neither got excited over the show, nor about it's score. Main value for me here is the theme, written and arranged by John Williams which is the first track on the album. He didn't write anything more for the show.

It is particularly nice what Ross did with it. But I am a John Williams fan in the first place.

If I want to listen to more music composed and arranged by William Ross, then there are probably some other scores of his that I could enjoy first before I have to chase for the last unpublished cue of his in this score.

10 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

One of the things that irks me the most is the bait-and-switch its marketing perpetuated with Prequel era music. How many of us allowed ourselves to build expectations for hearing DotF, BotH, and friends after that first trailer--despite knowing full well that trailer music is rarely a reflection of the actual film/show score. 

And this is sadly not the first time they did it(ROS). I spoke to the composer who did it and he said disney requested prequel music

11 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

For a program that was supposedly a love letter to those who cherished the long-maligned Episodes 1-3, you'd think there'd be a willingness to draw from one of the few aspects of those movies that people unequivocally love. But as it stands, we perversely got more Ep 1-3 musical references in Sequel Trilogy, which was at times insultingly blatant in its antipathy to the PT ("this will begin to make things right" -- ugh!), than in a show literally about the characters, themes, and unfinished business of TPM/AOTC/ROTS.

Have we gotten any prequel music in live action from disney besides the weird re using return to tatooine is ep9? It’s a shame. I assume Duel Of The Fates was re recorded for 9 also

I coulda sworn i heard a variant of it later.

4 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Have we gotten any prequel music in live action from disney besides the weird re using return to tatooine is ep9?

Finn's Confession

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

I hope that some board members have a little more respect, even if still not appreciation, for Ludwig's work now.

Members who don't respect Ludwig exists ???

23 Holt tracks, 7 Ross tracks, and Williams' main theme. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

But if the music in the first Obi-Wan/Vader duel isn't here I'm gonna be mad.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/06/22/obi-wan-kenobi-soundtrack-album-details/

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I hope that some board members have a little more respect, even if still not appreciation, for Ludwig's work now.

I love what he did for Mando. Suits the show to a T.

"One particular scene towards the end of the finale, she weaves the “Princess Leia’s Theme” to “The Force Theme” and ends with William Ross’ adaptation of “Obi-Wan Theme.”

Astounding.

#Kenobi #Segue the latest thing among film and tv composers