Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

I've said it before, but how profound would a tiny hint of Across the Stars have been when Obi Wan was circumlocuting about Padme? This is what leitmotifs are for, stating in emotional terms what characters cannot in words, connecting events of the past to developments in the present, deepening a scene rather than simply underscoring it. How many other such opportunities for musical commentary, resonance, storytelling were missed?

Very, very, very well said

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

I don’t even know what to say…

I tuned into a little bit of Rebel Force Radio’s latest episode to hear what they thought, and when Jimmy Mac said it was awesome and he’s seen it twice already, I literally yelled “What?!” It’s weird. There’s a level of accepting mediocrity that’s going on and it’s really sad. Watching this latest episode makes me want to watch the actual movies or just something I know is good to cleanse my palate!

It always leaves me peeved whenever people talk so much of things they either rarely ever listen to or deliberately go out of their way to mischaracterize because it doesn't even begin to get close to what they want.

I just wish there was someone out there who could bother making an active effort to discuss how the actual RCP machine functions in-depth, because the same simple critiques just doesn't cut it from those who are so blatantly tilted towards the opposite taste wise.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Something tells me Kathleen Kennedy wasn´t as hands on with Kenobi as she normally is with Star Wars projects (what with Mando, Ahsoka, Andor in production etc) and so she let Chow just get on with it. Then, maybe, she came to have a look at what was going on, heard the score, went "What the f*** is this?", panicked, called JW, JW goes, "Yeah, no thanks, I´ll give you a theme, but that´s it", then they get Bill Ross involved to adapt the theme and write additional music. What a mess.

Lol, I still think JW’s “I only want to write a theme for Benny” quote literally meant “I ONLY want to write a theme for Benny”—as in, they asked him to do way more/the whole show, and that’s all he was willing to do. That quote reeked of PR spin ever since I read it, imo.

38 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also, how bad it would look to give the boot to the only woman to score a Star Wars project.

I honestly think that’s why they waited so long to announce her. They were seeing what else could be done (maybe like, how much stuff William Ross could rescore in a short amount of time) before committing to officially, publicly naming her as the composer. If Ross was able to write more than he ended up writing, I have little doubt that they would have just announced him as the main composer.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

I don't know. I think if whole episodes are near entirely Ross for what's supposed to be a minor rescore/adaptation gig (especially when a lot of it doesn't involve the Obi-Wan theme), then I don't think it far fetched to believe there's more to the story. Especially with how quiet Lucasfilm/Disney has been about it, given they would have you believe Holt is the only person of importance (despite her admitting her own main theme got replaced, and had very little to do with the final one).

And I say this as someone who's still fairly defensive of Holt, and would sooner blame everything on the higher ups than her specifically.

I legit think there is way more to this story and maybe Holt isn’t the bad guy? Idk but maybe she was given different directions

Has anyone listened to this? I'm curious if there's any glimpses of any behind the scenes info on the score in it, but I don't have Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/more-score-41-natalie-holt-obi-wan-kenobi/id1357882784?i=1000563421396

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I didn't realize Score had taken their podcast to paid sub only.  Ha!  Yeah no thanks.

Damn that’s disappointing. The subscription costs more than Netflix, HBO or Disney Plus so I can’t see myself subscribing.

4 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

I tuned into a little bit of Rebel Force Radio’s latest episode to hear what they thought, and when Jimmy Mac said it was awesome and he’s seen it twice already, I literally yelled “What?!” It’s weird. There’s a level of accepting mediocrity that’s going on and it’s really sad. Watching this latest episode makes me want to watch the actual movies or just something I know is good to cleanse my palate!

the thing is I genuinely really enjoyed the show, I'm not "easily pleased" per say but I'm looking for different things then the average fan it would seem.

I do wish the music in the show was better even though I do enjoy quite a few songs from it. 

Okay, I know that a few of the epiaode credited Ross for additional music.

But where does everybody get the idea from the some episodes are 75% his music. I don't really get where those statements around that come from.

If it's true, fine. But I find it weird making those comments without any proof

5 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Okay, I know that a few of the epiaode credited Ross for additional music.

But where does everybody get the idea from the some episodes are 75% his music. I don't really get where those statements around that come from.

If it's true, fine. But I find it weird making those comments without any proof

Because he has a distinct style and even a motif or two that he wrote that appear in many of his cues (like the "helmets" motif), and of course the usage of John's theme. I don't think he scored that much of the show, but certainly around 1/3.

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Has anyone listened to this? I'm curious if there's any glimpses of any behind the scenes info on the score in it, but I don't have Apple Podcasts

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/more-score-41-natalie-holt-obi-wan-kenobi/id1357882784?i=1000563421396

These 3.5 minutes are worth your time. John Williams got a birthday song and there are piano sketches of the Obi-Wan Theme played by JW himself. What I would give to hear this....

4 hours ago, dylanskie said:

I take back whatever I said about Holt's score because I really enjoyed these samples! The vocal cues really stayed with me after watching the finale yesterday.

If you're referring to the vocal cue from the finale (during the Vader v Obi duel), it's credited to Ross, not Holt.

9 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Maybe someone already mentioned this but I didn’t see it. Does Disney have any plans for releasing Natalie Holt’s score of Obi Wan beyond John Williams main theme?

A CD-length OST with the single, a lot of Holt and some Ross music is coming. You can scroll back for a tracklist.

20 hours ago, DiamondFire said:

Why do we owe Giacchino an apology? He got universal praise (maybe not on here I wasn't here at the time) in the Star Wars Fandom

image.gif

15 hours ago, Falstaft said:

a variant of the Obi Wan theme that, by sheer virtue of the consistency of Williams's melodic language, kind of resembles Qui Gon's motif if you really want it to..

Hahahaha, I do. I do indeed!

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That seems like an exaggeration... not even these two themes? I think they're ridiculously catchy:

Sorry, I know, it is completely off-topic. But for me the probably catchiest MCU tune is this "bondy" theme from Antman and the Wasp.

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

That's a Bill Ross cue.

Ross' music sounds like Star Wars. Holt's...does not.

The thing that gets me is... what is "Star Wars" its so hard to define.

TCWS1 Orchestral Techno is also very Star Wars as is all the stuff Joseph and Ludwig have done.

21 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And maybe you only consider big Hollywood things to be "major opportunities" but if not, may I recommend Panu Aaltio?

Do you have links for Panu, or any pieces you like? I've not heard this name before and am curious to give the music a listen! Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, artus_grayboot said:

Do you have links for Panu, or any pieces you like? I've not heard this name before and am curious to give the music a listen! Thanks for sharing.

Gladly! These are the two scores that made me fall in love with him over a decade ago! All tracks are on YouTube I believe, but if you have Spotify or another streaming service the full albums should be there too:

The latter received two follow-up documentaries (Tale of a Lake and Tale of the Sleeping Giants, the latter of which only came out last year). Each of these was scored by Aaltio and all three won the International Film Music Critics Association's "Best Documentary Score" category in their respective years, very deservedly so.

Occasionally Aaltio has to work with samples for budgetary reasons and those are the scores of his I tend to find more disappointing (not his fault at all). But when he has an orchestra at his disposal he's one of the greatest composers working in film today.

@artus_grayboot The MovieScore Media label has greatly championed Aaltio's work, releasing at least 10 albums of his music over the past dozen years:

https://moviescoremedia.com/newsite/?s=aaltio&searchsubmit=Search

Once MovieScore Media largely stopped pressing CD editions, the wonderful Spanish label Quartet stepped up and started producing limited-run CD editions (sadly all OOP now):

https://quartetrecords.com/shop/composers/aaltio-panu/

But all MSM Aaltio releases are still available for lossless download purchase in multiple places, as well as streaming on multiple platforms. I think this is the only Aaltio score released by a different label than those two: https://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/101027/Hella+W

Yavar

3 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I'm not saying every theme that could show up, should show up... but at least some key moments should have had themes. 

Examples:

-bit of Luke's theme when we first see him

-force theme for at least that one moment where Ben uses the force for the first time in a while to catch Leia

-Leia's theme could play in a number of spots

-Vader's theme for at the very least his first appearance in the show, and would make sense in a number of other scenes

Personally i am fine with the lack of force theme for catching Leia, as it is focusing more on Obi-Wan's personal journey (such as it is) in this show, instead of just:

"HE DID THE THING!, HE USED THE FORCE!!!"

I would have used it as a stinger to lead out of the "What does the Force feel like?" discussion