Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

Given he would've been from when LucasArts was around, I imagine they would've been mainly instructed to be JW pastiches for the consistency of the brand (for which subsequent developers continued with).

Disney, on the other, seems more concerned with the music when it's about pushing the memberberries to the max, so they've only grown less concerned now that they've either exhausted a lot of the classic themes or are just letting the people in charge of the shows mostly do their own thing.

8 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Given he would've been from when LucasArts was around, I imagine they would've been mainly instructed to be JW pastiches for the consistency of the brand (for which subsequent developers continued with).

Disney, on the other, seems more concerned with the music when it's about pushing the memberberries to the max, so they've only grown less concerned now that they've either exhausted a lot of the classic themes or are just letting the people in charge of the shows mostly do their own thing.

I heavily resent the idea that LucasArts scores were all written with the intent to be pastiches of John Williams. The composers made an effort to fit within the Star Wars soundscape and in most cases still retained their musical identity. Mark Griskey, Jesse Harlin, Jeremy Soule etc.

Haab is really the only one that gets close to pastiche territory as he pulls from a LOT of Williams scores. Is it possible some of the games had the intent of being scored with pastiche? Certainly, likely EA Battlefront given the reliance on the original music, you kind of have to go that approach or it’ll stand out like a sore thumb. But to paint every LucasArts Star Wars project like this greatly detracts from what these talented composers were able to achieve

11 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It's not just about how Haab's writing sounds more like JW, though; why are almost all of the video game scores getting recorded with the LSO? Why should the orchestra in the Battlefront and Fallen Order games sound more like the orchestra of the OT and the PT (because it's literally the same one), than the orchestra that performed in Obi-Wan Kenobi—the show that is essentially Episode 3.5? It makes no sense to me.

I wasn't trying to paint it as this strict guideline, and moreso just a general direction for the composers to take in the projects. I am fully well aware of what Soule and others can do outside the confines of the franchise, but to say they were fully doing what they felt was best seems a bit odd knowing how much this series prioritized consistency for the longest time.

But what they did in the franchise was still great... Also, you're assuming that "what they felt was best" would have been something other than maintaining thematic consistency—almost as though it were a chore for them to write in that style, and not something they wanted to do/felt would be good for the franchise.

6 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I wasn't trying to paint it as this strict guideline, and moreso just a general direction for the composers to take in the projects. I am fully well aware of what Soule and others can do outside the confines of the franchise, but to say they were fully doing what they felt was best seems a bit odd knowing how much this series prioritized consistency for the longest time.

I wouldn’t be so sure, here’s an account from Mark Griskey on the music of KOTOR 2:

6F7C1174-8D1C-4332-B7D7-FFE1894A6C6B.png

7 minutes ago, Gibster said:

If JW was blocking the use of his themes then that makes everything so much worse. I heard the RW issue was cuz he was copy and pasting which would effect his credit.

It sounds more like Deborah Chow was just too lazy to check whether it was fine to use his themes. That quote makes it sound like she just assumed they might not be allowed to use them.

They probably already had plans for JW to look over the music, and just weren't sure what if anything he'd approve, so they decided not to take a chance just in case he vetoed everything. It probably wasn't something that could be figured out immediately.

It seems like in the end he didn't want them to use much of his music anyway, at least until the final episode.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Thank God she isn't involved with Andor. But then I'm sure another fucking idiot will spoil that too.

The Andor show will be executive produced by Tony Gilroy, which did the re-writes on Rogue One (and is a pretty talented screenwriter on his own).

Which means, if you liked the final cut of R1, chances are you're going to like Andor as well.

Does JW really have this kind of power over the use of Star Wars themes? There is so much other Star Wars media including other shows/cartoons that use his themes frequently. I know he was involved with the whole Rogue One situation which also lead to the Solo situation where Luacasfilm consulted JW more closely from the start. 

42 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Andor show will be executive produced by Tony Gilroy, which did the re-writes on Rogue One (and is a pretty talented screenwriter on his own).

Which means, if you liked the final cut of R1, chances are you're going to like Andor as well.

I really like Rogue One, but that wasn't the smoothest of productions either, was it?

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to enjoying a production that, so far, seems to be independent of the 'forces' (it's not a pun, and even if it was, you wouldn't get a sniff of musical relevance) that contrived this heap of brazen turkey bollocks.

40 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Does JW really have this kind of power over the use of Star Wars themes? There is so much other Star Wars media including other shows/cartoons that use his themes frequently. I know he was involved with the whole Rogue One situation which also lead to the Solo situation where Luacasfilm consulted JW more closely from the start. 

As much as I love the guy, I hope that this isn't the case. I mean, he can't have a monopoly on the whole thing anymore... but we can respect his legacy and maintain continuity. Two things that the big wigs in upper management at Disney don't seem to be able to fathom with their stupid fucking heads. I really want to slap them all repeatedly and tell them that they're incompetent with my very angry flappy hand.

4 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Hence Gilroy coming aboard to patch everything up

There'll always be someone to patch up the patcher. And they will inevitably find themselves patched.

1 minute ago, LSH said:

There'll always be someone to patch up the patcher. And they will inevitably find themselves being patched.

Next thing you know theyll be bringing Gareth Edwards aboard, coming full circle

11 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Next thing you know theyll be bringing Gareth Edwards aboard, coming full circle

Patched³ ... it's like Inception but everyone fucks over the previous recipient by itself.

11 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

And then after that, they will ask Phil Lord and Christopher Miller for help bringing a lighter more improv style to set

If only.

Damn i want to hear the alternative rogue one filled with williams themes. It sounds just like what I expected.

was it recorded? Would williams read the cue sheets? Was it completely deleted just in case? :(

i am sure giacchino would not have made a literal cut and paste job. We would have had more imperial motif and march where it was due, and more rebel fanfare 🙁

Giacchino's Rogue One score is one of the rare examples where I like the score on its own, but in the film it was particularly too much. It overdid it in many scenes. Especially with his imperial theme. In many scenes just some low atmospheric hints would have been better than the fullblown orchestral execution.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Reading between the words, this big corporation either has no standards or processes - like sending an e-mail from department A to B - or someone just didn't do his/her job. It's absolutely inconceivable that a project with a gestation period this long found no time to clear a simple question like that.

So my assumption is that there was a clear understanding until last-minute meddling that resulted in this whole mess and frankly, JW loses sympathy points from me getting involved as a 800-pound gorilla in this matter. His Obi theme isn't nearly as good or rewarding to warrant the whole brouhaha, and the series isn't very good to begin with, so why bother at all? Like i said, he should have let it go.

Maybe this doesn't happen in Lucasfilm in exactly the same way, but Disney (who do nothing) owns it and it's the same megacorp that sends thousand of emails of notes to Alex Hirsch to complain about harmless gags they don't understand. Disaster is the default, and it's amusing everytime anything released by the megacorps actually, genuinely works, like Gravity Falls for instance.

11 hours ago, Tydirium said:

That's a possibility.

IIRC, her story about how/when JW got involved has changed. First, it was like he called up and wanted to write a theme, but in a recent interview she acted like she always knew going in that he was going to be involved/that she was going to work with him.

The reason it changed is because thats a thing the production as a whole is covering up and she got confused as to what the story was lol. That's not her purposefully fucking with people, its just a mistake in something she was told to do for press

8 hours ago, LSH said:

Deborah Chow sounds like a fucking idiot, if what has been said is true.

I'm not even a die-hard Star Wars fan... but every and each way that this series has been treated is fucking weird. Just... weird.

Thank God she isn't involved with Andor. But then I'm sure another fucking idiot will spoil that too.

God, I hate life.

lord.

There's the YouTube playlist.

Interestingly, after checking Hanger Escape (episode 4, the action version of the Obi Wan theme as our heroes are running to the snowspeeders), Holt is sole credit on the cue (other than JW, for his theme).

So if that's true, Holt did write cues using JW's theme.

The big Imperial March rendition at the end of episode 6 is Ross's work (Overcoming the Past).

Williams is the only credited composer on End Credits as well, so he wrote the alternate intro and outro (despite the track coming under Ross' name, for whatever reason).

A breakdown of the 6 Ross cues:

• The Journey Begins (EP1, the final scene I think)
  • First Resscue (EP4 Obi rescuing Leia from the torture chamber, escaping through the tunnels and flooding the corridor... heavily edited though)
  • Some Things Can't Be Forgotten (EP5, multiple cues combined here, the opening flashback with Anakin and Obi, then the latter flashback after the ship escapes)
  • I Will Do What I Must (EP6 Vader vs Obi Wan duel part 1)
  • Overcoming the Past (EP6 Vader vs Obi Wan duel part 2, plus the Imperial March from the latter scene with the Emperor)
  • Saying Goodbye (EP6 Obi and Leia's farewell)

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gitz said:

You know…I’ve often wondered why producers don’t ask John Williams, if he’s too busy to work on an entire score,  to compose a couple themes Vs doing an entire score? If I’m Marvel my first call, every time, every god damn time, would be to JW. And if he said no he doesn’t have the time to do an entire score, then ok, write me a theme. Here’s 5 million dollars. Imagine a John Williams Captain America theme. It’s a crime that didn’t happen. Instead we got a decent but iffy try by Alan Silvestri. That money would come back 5 fold. 

i swear a lot of the success from the movies JW has done is due to his music. Ask yourself…does Home Alone become the iconic, holiday classic with a score by Bruce Broughton? No way. No effin way. 

I know some here were not impressed with his Obi Wan theme, and I was in that camp for first minute or so into the piece, but then when it gets going? Damn. It’s never not a treat to hear Williams do his thing. It reminds me how stale and boring many composers have become. I remember a time when I’d anticipate every new Danny Elfman score. Or I’d hope Michael Giacchino would get work on any given project. Oh how the times change. It’s almost as if some composers only have about 5-6 great themes in them.

It’s crazy that some producers don’t see the difference great memorable music can make in a films success. I’m sure Potter would’ve been big regardless but that theme they used in the marketing, Hedwig’s Theme, it was like it was meant to be. That IS the sound of Harry Potter. And I don’t doubt it made the film go from big hit to stratosphere. 

But I digress…

When it comes to these kinds of discussions the forum members involved in the film scoring business usually claim that everyone of them could write scores and themes like John Williams, but the producers and directors explicitly tell them not to do so, because such kind of music would claim too much attention from the viewer.

I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Interestingly, after checking Hanger Escape (episode 4, the action version of the Obi Wan theme as our heroes are running to the snowspeeders), Holt is sole credit on the cue (other than JW, for his theme).

The big Imperial March rendition at the end of episode 6 is Ross's work (Overcoming the Past).

Williams is the only credited composer on End Credits as well, so he wrote the alternate intro and outro (despite the track coming under Ross' name, for whatever reason).

• First Resscue (EP4 Obi rescuing Leia from the torture chamber, escaping through the tunnels and flooding the corridor... heavily edited though)
  • Some Things Can't Be Forgotten (EP5, multiple cues combined here, the opening flashback with Anakin and Obi, then the latter flashback after the ship escapes)
  • Overcoming the Past (EP6 Vader vs Obi Wan duel part 2, plus the Imperial March from the latter scene with the Emperor)

Wait a minute… What about episode 3? Where’s the big Ross cue that covers Vader/Obi-Wan dueling, Tala/Leia running through the tunnels, and Reva searching for Leia???

Does this album really not include the music for when Obi-Wan and Vader first meet/duel again, after ten years?!

I should note that this was also the first major cue that we figured out was Ross, aside from the standard variations on the Obi-Wan theme.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I wish they released the music when he was first watching Luke with the binoculars 

The album is a bit of a mess.

The duel from episode 3 is not on here.

Some Things Can't Be Forgotten is de flasback of Anakin & Obi-Wan (Clone Wars style)

I Will Do What I Must, Overcoming The Past & Tatooine Desert Chase are in the episode not one cue. They are all pasted together on the album. The Imperial March statement is at the end of Overcoming The Past (More powerful on album than in the episode)

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'm still filthy the final 5 minutes of the final episode wasn't even included. What a perfect album ending that would've been!

And yeah, that this is not on there is a real shame.

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I'm struggling to understand why "First Rescue" refers to the rescue from Fortress Inquisitorius; wouldn't that be the second rescue? I thought the first rescue was when Obi-Wan rescued Leia from Daiyu a couple episodes earlier...

And that cue (the rooftop chase) is also not on the album.

23 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I'm struggling to understand why "First Rescue" refers to the rescue from Fortress Inquisitorius; wouldn't that be the second rescue?

It was the First Rescue that Ross scored ;)

28 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

What's the official explanation for only offering one volume, anyways? Or for not offering way more music than this, in general? It's a digital-only release, so it's not like they had to worry about fitting it on CD.

It is baffling. Didn't Holt originally say there would be multiple volumes?

Maybe there's a concerted effort to protect Holt and cover up how much of her material was replaced by Ross. She even microedited his cues and only included excerpts of others (in "suite" tracks), which was totally unnecessary for a digital OST!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't Holt say originally there would be multiple volumes?

I thought so too, but now I'm not sure. The interview where I thought she was talking about two volumes for Kenobi, it was actually about Loki. Still doesn't make sense why this particular show would get one album, considering all the other recent shows' albums.

Is it possible that there were more minutes of Ross used in the show than Holt?  Or that it’s a bit close and with edits, grey enough that the minutes of Holt vs Ross on the album needed to be carefully curated so that Holt maintains credit as primary composer?

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And that cue (the rooftop chase) is also not on the album.

This and the final track for episode 6 and I'd be soooo happy. Its all I need, everything else thats missing idc abt

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Is there any Holt music on the album that wasn't even in the show?

I am not able to place Ready To Go & Stormtrooper Patrol.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

She didn't mention William Ross once in all the media fanfare prior to the show (possibly due to an NDA, who knows), then promoted her own ghostwriters on social media after the first episode without acknowledging Ross (who scored nearly half of the show), said "George Lucas" told her not to use themes, and said that her composer journey was more similar to Giacchino's and Powell's rather than Goransson's. Maybe she thinks it was similar to them because of the JW theme, but the problem is, her portions of the score barely used it. I would certainly feel sick if I was getting all the media attention for a score in which the final product is only ~50 percent~ mine.

so, with the ghostwriters, what's that, way less than 50?