Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

When was yodas theme in the show? Holt mentions it in a recent interview doesnt she?

Deleted Yoda Scene confirmed!? 

1 hour ago, TheAvengerButton said:

Woof, came in to see what kinds of things people were saying about the score and now I'll be bowing out due to the weird conspiracy theories about John Williams, Giacchino and Lucasfilm staff.

right? like what is even happening lmaoo

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I am not able to place Ready To Go & Stormtrooper Patrol.

Ok, since the rest of this forum seems to love conspiracy theories so much (and certain people trying to pass them off as fact)

I'm gonna have my go at it. 'Ready to Go' feels like an end of episode cue... it could've been the end to episode 1 or 5?

Am taking some of what's said on here with interest, as I had no idea there was a situation with Rogue One. Anyone care to cite some sources for this? This is the first I'm hearing of it. But I do agree that there are some weird sentiments being expressed in these Obi-Wan interviews. Why not just check to see if the John Williams material can be used?

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

You’re not going to find an official source for the Rogue One stuff.  I will say that the three people who I’ve heard talk about it have been well sourced, industry workers, and completely legitimate (one of whom was a 20-year user here who recently deleted their account; another an unrelated industry source at FSM; and third, Doug Adams who would not be telling these tales out of school).  If that’s what James Southall is on about, I’d trust all three of those sources over him.

If he’s talking about the Holt situation, I’d probably trust Southall over a JWFan user picked at random, but who knows.  I noticed and liked plenty of score by both Holt and Ross in the series and I look forward to hearing it, regardless of how the sausage was made.

Appreciate it, thanks for your insight.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

When was yodas theme in the show? Holt mentions it in a recent interview doesnt she?

I guess it has to do with the rumor that Episode 6 was going to feature yoda?

1 minute ago, Tydirium said:

Interesting. Tim Burden is pretty legit.

A bit confused here, so the RO situation is MG used a lot of JW's themes (understandably and expected considered his extremely limited time of finishing the assignment) but had the majority of his interpolation/reference/adaptation negated because of what reason exactly? 

If it was for legality and credit, the album does have "original SW music by John Williams" on the cover

Is this the reason why MG had to write his own Imperial Suite (which I like a lot) because he wasn't allowed to use Imperial March that much?

29 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

A bit confused here, so the RO situation is MG used a lot of JW's themes (understandably and expected considered his extremely limited time of finishing the assignment) but had the majority of his interpolation/reference/adaptation negated because of what reason exactly? 

If it was for legality and credit, the album does have "original SW music by John Williams" on the cover

Is this the reason why MG had to write his own Imperial Suite (which I like a lot) because he wasn't allowed to use Imperial March that much?

Here’s some of the discussion from a few years back. 

29 minutes ago, p0llux said:

I just started listening to the Obi-Wan Album. Track 1 is Williams' Obi-Wan theme. Track 2 is the opening Order 66 action music from ep1. I'm still cringing from the sharp contrast in styles. From beautiful sweeping orchestral to modern RCP banging drums and brass. Just like when I first heard it, hearing that opening action cue just sets the precedent for the rest of score and it's a harsh reminder of what modern film scoring has become.

The beginning of the action cue clearly sounds to me like a 1:1 rehash of this moment from Batman Begins. 2:24

46 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Williams wasn't happy, so he requested them to use less of his music in such an overt manner. Resulting in Giacchino having to rewrite most of it last minute.

I thought Rogue One was already a last-minute hurry job, as Desplat was fired a few months before the release date and Gia had basically two weeks to write and record everything. So, even with so little time he basically scored the movie twice?

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I thought Rogue One was already a last-minute hurry job, as Desplat was fired a few months before the release date and Gia had basically two weeks to write and record everything. So, even with so little time he basically scored the movie twice?

If true it would explain why there is the same motif that is used constantly throughout the movie which is also lifted directly from his war of the planet of the apes score

2:47-4:00 from 'A Tide in the Affairs of Apes'

1:04-1:30 'Jedah Arrival'

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, pretty much. I don't envy being in that position. :lol:

In hindsight, it turned out better than Holt's Obi-Wan... somehow. And I don't even like RO's score.

50 minutes ago, p0llux said:

I just started listening to the Obi-Wan Album. Track 1 is Williams' Obi-Wan theme. Track 2 is the opening Order 66 action music from ep1. I'm still cringing from the sharp contrast in styles. From beautiful sweeping orchestral to modern RCP banging drums and brass. Just like when I first heard it, hearing that opening action cue just sets the precedent for the rest of score and it's a harsh reminder of what modern film scoring has become.

Yep, me too.  The contrast from Track 1 to Track 2 couldn't be greater.  I'm halfway through, and trying to keep an open mind.  Truly, I am.

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I only watched the first episode of the show and realised it was terrible - but did we establish who wrote the opening logo music? (Literally the very first thing you hear)

Ross uses that motif in most of his cues, so definitely him, as we already suspected.

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Ross uses that motif in most of his cues, so definitely him, as we already suspected.

Huh?  I thought it was Joseph Shirley...

I'm excited to dive into this release even though it is incomplete and the music so far has been unremarkable. I want to give it a fair shot and am always at least slightly interested in new SW music.

"First Rescue" is a great cue. Still puzzled by the title, though. Is it possible it was originally meant for the rooftop chase scene? Its placement on the album could seem to indicate.

And as if there was any doubt, all the legacy themes referenced in the last episode were handled by Ross, not Holt.

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I believe I have found another, very subtle' qoute of The Imperial March theme.

Cue 26. No Further Use at 2:10.

This sounds undeniable to me.  So what the heck scene is this for (I assume it's in Ep 6)?  Had Vader—in Chow and/or Holt's estimation—"earned" his theme yet by this point, whatever point it is?

Sheesh, what a ride.  I'm with @Brando.

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I believe I have found another, very subtle' qoute of The Imperial March theme.

Cue 26. No Further Use at 2:10.

Pretty sure I pointed that out when the episode first came out :()

26 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Listened to the whole album, my overall thoughts are that this isn't music I will revisit often if at all. It's serviceable but not very interesting and that includes the contributions by William Ross.

Here are some specific observations:

Order 66 starts off well with soothing strings, but when the percussion kicks in it all becomes generic modern action music.

Young Leia is actually pretty nice. Days of Alderaan is another pleasant track. Nothing bad about it at all.

Empire Arrival grates at me the same way the Imperial music in Rogue One does. It sounds too over the top. I know that's a strange criticism given how camp the Imperial March is, but this music sounds too heavy handed.

I can back this for the most part.

Empire Arrival I seem to have soft spot for though haha.

I really enjoy that unused song 'Ready to Go'

31 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But this swashbuckler sound wouldn't have made any sense in Kenobi. And also here in Powell's piece I passionately abhor these drums.

I mean, Kenobi ultimately ended up being generic Star Wars in tone so yeah a swashbuckling sound would've fit just as well as it fit in the originals

Just out of curiosity, how did you feel about the drums in the Kenobi show?