Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Assuming this is her Obi theme at 0:41?

Interesting -- starts with the same melodic gesture as her Young Leia theme, led me to think it was a slowed and minorized variant of her tune on initial watch.

Sad Obi.png

23 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Interesting, I noticed that part right away when I was watching the episode reminds me of James Newton Howard's work for the Hunger Games movies

Thought exactly the same thing!

34 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

This sounds more developed and thematic than the rest of the music Holt wrote, so I could see this being her Kenobi theme. It's not bad, just very typical for modern orchestral film scoring. Could easily fit in Game of Thrones or any prestige drama.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Interesting, I noticed that part right away when I was watching the episode reminds me of James Newton Howard's work for the Hunger Games movies

FYI, Apple Music incorrectly only lists Natalie Holt as the composer for "Dark Side Assault"; it should be Natalie Holt & John Williams (as in "Hangar Escape" and "No Further Use"), as she also uses his Obi-Wan theme in that track at 1:09.

14 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Is there any part of the show that did?

MacGregor can't be cheap.

13 hours ago, Gibster said:

"Because we’re in the territory with Leia and Luke and Vader, we've got all these characters that are so precious to people. It’s just making sure that we were being respectful of the old, bringing in the new."

Wut

Nothing Holt wrote (if that's even the right verb) in any way respects the musical legacy of Star Wars. It's virtually indistinguishable from any RCP score for any action film of the past decade.

8 minutes ago, LSH said:

I hope to God that Natalie doesn't read these tweets. This is exactly why I said the whole thing has been cruel and unfair to those involved. 

Yes, these mouth-breathers can't read but it can't be nice to see these responses.

A lot of the SW fan attacks on Holt have been oddly personal 

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

A lot of the SW fan attacks on Holt have been oddly personal 

It's a weird dynamic.  That's true, I suppose, but she has also has a lot of dedicated apologists and even oddly magnanimous attackers (the latter of which is not a bad thing, but it's worth noting).  Some of the posts on this thread seem determined to absolve her of responsibility for even the most composer-centered choices, and others have gone comically out of their way to shower Holt with praise before making a criticism of the music ("I LOVE Holt, but..." "Holt is a brilliant composer, but..." "Holt will certainly be godmother to my next child, but...").  For someone with a resumé as comparatively short as hers, people seem awfully convinced of her genius—that, or this dynamic is the bitter fruit of Disney's making her gender a selling point in the first place.  Why not just bill her as "the composer of Loki," a high-profile hit show in its own right?

All that said, I love "First Rescue," and I like bits of "Hangar Escape" and "Dark Side Assault."  "Hold Hands" is nice but wouldn't stand out if I weren't purposely scouring a score I know to be Star Wars for pleasant moments.  My next trip through this to pick out MP3s will be a short one.

I think the Williams version is obviously superior but out of curiosity I would really like to see what the show would have looked like with Holt version of Obi-Wan theme.

I really like "Hold Hands". Like someone else said it's very simple but effective.

^Yes.

I'm afraid I'm just too old to appreciate the RCP sound.  The drum loops are so present and oppressive.  

We talk about "colors" when we discuss orchestral music, and the different sonics of the orchestra.

If this score had a color it would be grayish brown.  There's almost no nuance, it's just... ON.  

If percussion is what modern composers need, there are some wonderful percussion instruments that seem to have fallen out of favor - Xylophone, glockenspiel, triangle all add wonderful color and texture.  And worst of all,  good old sharp, crisp Timpani.  Timpani >>>> Tako Drums.  

I think my ears are hungering for more clarity more than anything else.  Let each part of the orchestra have its turn and its presence.

14 minutes ago, Andy said:

if percussion is what modern composers need, there are some wonderful percussion instruments that seem to have fallen out of favor - Xylophone, glockenspiel, triangle all add wonderful color and texture.  And worst of all,  good old sharp, crisp Timpani.  Timpani >>>> Tako Drums. 

marimba pls

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Does the "Young Leia" and "Days of Alderan" remind anyone else rather of Horner's Avatar music than of Star Wars music?

Holt’s material reminds me a lot of Horner and Silvestri, as well as Giacchino and Kiner.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Does the "Young Leia" and "Days of Alderan" remind anyone else rather of Horner's Avatar music than of Star Wars music?

Strangely, I think that's some of her best material and it would probably work better in another show.

https://www.nme.com/features/tv-interviews/obi-wan-kenobi-natalie-holt-interview-star-wars-3256392

Getting the job before Williams was even confirmed to be writing the main theme, Holt wanted to make sure her own approach felt as new as it did familiar – hinting at the classics while standing apart from them. “We didn’t want to lean into the original Star Wars music, but we wanted to lead towards it,” she explains. “Deborah Chow [director] wanted the score to feel sparer and more modern. We were ultimately doing something much more emotional and I wanted something that felt angrier and more wild. The famous ‘Imperial March’ is so militant and organised, and I wanted visceral. I wanted pure rage.”

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

Do they still make DiamondFires?

I wasn't joking. I haven't seen a CD or something that can PLAY a CD for many years.

57 minutes ago, Gibster said:

https://www.nme.com/features/tv-interviews/obi-wan-kenobi-natalie-holt-interview-star-wars-3256392

Getting the job before Williams was even confirmed to be writing the main theme, Holt wanted to make sure her own approach felt as new as it did familiar – hinting at the classics while standing apart from them. “We didn’t want to lean into the original Star Wars music, but we wanted to lead towards it,” she explains. “Deborah Chow [director] wanted the score to feel sparer and more modern. We were ultimately doing something much more emotional and I wanted something that felt angrier and more wild. The famous ‘Imperial March’ is so militant and organised, and I wanted visceral. I wanted pure rage.”

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I mean, she isn't wrong about the Imperial March thing. Empire Attacks is far angrier and wilder/less organised.

9 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Heck, I hope to God that William Ross doesn't read the Tweets. Imagine writing so much music for a show like this, and yet seemingly everyone is praising a different composer for stuff you wrote... Ross should be getting way more credit than he is. Why is Holt getting virtually all the interviews? Where are the Ross interviews? Hardly anyone seems interested in actually highlighting him and his work for this; it's like he's just some guy whose name just happens to show up in the show's end credits and on a few tracks on the OST.

Ross was brought in to do clean-up. Like a pinch hitter or relief pitcher in baseball. Those roles rarely ever get media attention. I bet the only reason he got billing (unlike the other unnamed composers who worked with Holt) is because of his connection to JW.

4 hours ago, Andy said:

If this score had a color it would be grayish brown. 

Timpani >>>> Tako Drums.  

1. Nope, not dry and muffled enough to be brown.

2. Racist! ;)

6 hours ago, Oswin Pond said:

You can add Christensen, Ahmed Best, Jake Lloyd, Rian Johnson and probably the worst of all George Lucas (Even today I still see people saying Lucas should kill himself) It's sadly a trend that keeps happening over and over again. I'll never understand why because even though I hate someone's work I won't attack the person personally. 

Don't forget J.J. Abrams. JWFans' favourite punching bag.

2 hours ago, DiamondFire said:

I wasn't joking. I haven't seen a CD or something that can PLAY a CD for many years.

Most retail entertainment stores sell CDs, I'm surprised you never encountered them!

They are phasing out though in most areas unfortunately. Best Buy I think completely got rid of them at least a year ago. My local Walmart had a CD isle up until a couple years ago, now they just sometimes have new releases on the isle cap, I think that also applies to my local Target.

To my knowledge Barnes & Noble is the only major national retailer that still has a good selection of CDs... for now.

I still dig the score overall. Just hope Ross and Holt return to the franchise on different projects with more time. Hope Natalie gets The Acolyte and Ross gets Skeleton Crew.  But I have to say, at least the score in the show doesn't sound ripped apart and destroyed like Brian Tyler and Danny Elfman's scores for Age of Ultron or more recently, John Williams' score for The Rise of Skywalker. Young Leia is probably my favorite track outside of the main theme.

With that out of the way, where the hell did these discussions on Giacchino's Rogue One score come from????  This all news to me and I'm supposed to be the fangirl. LMFAO

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Hardly surprising after the last 5 years and some of the vile commentary I've seen about Kathleen Kennedy, Daisy Ridley, Kelly Marie Tran, Moses Ingram...

There's an obvious theme going on here.

They're all bad actors? ;)

3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Either way, at this point, there are just way too many cooks in the kitchen over at Lucasfilm; Mando seasons 1 and 2 were pretty great, but I think part of the reason for that was because Disney wasn't as involved. Once they realized they had a huge hit on their hands with Grogu, all they saw were $$$, and they quickly jumped in to take control of all the shows going forward. Hence one reason why Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi are (in my opinion) so bad. Remember, Mando S2 was already written and starting to film by the time Disney realized that Mando was a huge hit, so S2 was largely untainted by them. But by the time of BOBF, they had announced a gazillion shows, and it became clear they were now going to be micromanaging everything.

I would urge you to revisit The Mandalorian because it essentially set the very basic and un-nuanced structure that all Star Wars TV has been following so far, with Season 2 demonstrating their lack of confidence in a story isolated from the main players of the saga. It all seeded what the Obi Wan Kenobi show became

19 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Except the animated series. Bad Batch and Clone Wars season 7 were good.

I would push back against this, Bad Batch is an incredibly aimless series that has a lot of the same issues as the Star Wars TV shows, even evoking similar tropes. TCW S7 is hard to get a bead on given most of it was developed before the Disney take-over so it's a bit of a production frankenstein