Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

MMUK's review:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2022/07/01/obi-wan-kenobi-natalie-holt-william-ross-john-williams/

He rather liked the score, as he says on the conclusion:

Lol, no surprise there. It feels like he is usually positive towards scores.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, his reviews are mostly positive, even if the score in question is not that good, like with this one. He even wrote glowing reviews about Balfe recently...

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

https://www.slashfilm.com/915110/obi-wan-kenobi-composer-natalie-holt-breaks-down-scoring-the-shows-biggest-scenes-interview/

another interview with holt (i hope it is new)

it makes it clear that deborah chow and her were not the ideal people for the project. How can they not want it to be too much ‘star wars’?

Why dont these people make their own sci-fi films or tv series? Why lucasfilm keeps hiring them instead of more swfan oriented directors?

From this interview, it seems like Lucasfilm higher ups maintain quite a grip on these productions. This interview suggests not even the director has final say on the music, but rather Kathleen Kennedy or other higher ups. Honestly sounds like a nightmare working environment. I appreciate Holt's honesty in this interview. 

14 minutes ago, Toillion said:

Also, how dumb are they to use some of the most epic music from the prequels in the trailer to only go in the other direction. 

^^^^^^^^

9 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

I wonder if Britell will reprise Gia's Imperial theme from Rogue One, the imperial March and the stormtrooper motif

Not gonna happen

I had my first proper listen on a couple of car journeys this weekend and I really like this album. I'll be buying it the nanosecond I can find it for a reasonable price.

There's a contrast between Ross' and Holt's work but I think they compliment each other nicely - we get a period of more modern, synth-aided music, then Ross comes in with a more subdued, orchestral treatment, although his action material in one of the cues is also nice. I also noticed her using JW's theme a few times.

Initial favourite tracks are Daiyu, Sensing Vader, Empire Arrival and a couple of the action cues. Some of her action is pretty rubbish - it's clearly not her strength, and as a general defender of Holt in this matter, she's definitely better at the dramatic/emotional material.

And for the record, Order 66 is by far the worst cue on the album. I find it as astonishing as most people here that the showrunners though that was a good way to score that scene. Don't say I'm a complete Holt apologist ;) 

I could see the entire show being scored by Ross and it would probably sound fine but I don't think there's anything inherently objectionable about Holt's approach - it's modern and doesn't use the SW themes much - but it allowed her to put her stamp on a piece of the SW universe.

20 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Yes, but he's also made I think a very good point: there's no need to denigrate Holt's work - they should just have ideally gone one way or another. Let Holt (et al) create the musical sound entirely or keep with tradition. Either JWFan could have embraced a Ross score, or just ignored/embraced Holt's work.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think there's anything inherently objectionable about Holt's approach - it's modern and doesn't use the SW themes much - but it allowed her to put her stamp on a piece of the SW universe.

LoL… that is a résumé of my objections 😝

This all doesn't sound like they really had to be afraid to not be allowed to use Williams' music. But keeping it out is a way to prevent his judgment on it. 

Maybe doing their own thing just limited the probability of rework and the effort of familiarization with the original material.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

This all doesn't sound like they really had to be afraid to not be allowed to use Williams' music. But keeping it out is a way to prevent his judgment on it. 

Maybe doing their own thing just limited the probability of rework and the effort of familiarization with the original material.

I don't think it's about "fearing" to not be allowed to use the music but trying to have different styles...a more contemporary approach and old school approach.  You can think of this creatively in other aspects too.  They are not directing the series with Lucas' visual style either.  They're trying to do their own thing in that universe.  They aren't using plastic models (as far as I know) but using CGI vfx - they are using modern tools and approaches while trying to stay true to the original.  That's what I'm hearing with the music.  The composer was given liberties and I thought she did a very fine job doing her thing without yielding to pressure to mimic what came before.  I think the same was the case with Giacchino in Rogue One.  He wasn't doing JW, he was doing Giacchino's version of Star Wars.  I think that's a wise move.  In five seconds of blind taste test, no one will confuse that JW did not compose Rogue One.  

12 minutes ago, karelm said:

I don't think it's about "fearing" to not be allowed to use the music but trying to have different styles...a more contemporary approach and old school approach.  You can think of this creatively in other aspects too.  They are not directing the series with Lucas' visual style either.  They're trying to do their own thing in that universe.  They aren't using plastic models (as far as I know) but using CGI vfx - they are using modern tools and approaches while trying to stay true to the original.  That's what I'm hearing with the music.  The composer was given liberties and I thought she did a very fine job doing her thing without yielding to pressure to mimic what came before.  I think the same was the case with Giacchino in Rogue One.  He wasn't doing JW, he was doing Giacchino's version of Star Wars.  I think that's a wise move.  In five seconds of blind taste test, no one will confuse that JW did not compose Rogue One.  

But that's exactly where I feel Chow and Holt failed. The comparison with Rogue one is a good example.

First of all about trying to have different styles. Giacchino's score created a palette of new themes. But he did not really try to have different styles. Stylistically, he sticks quite close to the classical Star Wars sound. For good reasons.

Story wise I would say Kenobi is even closer to the movies than Rogue One. Apart from shortly Vader (which is underscored with the imerial march) there is just  Tarkin (who never really had a musical identity an five seconds of Leia. Kenobi has almost permanently characters from the main saga around, like many said, episode 3.5.

The decision, like you said, to redesign the series visually and musically, is something that I cannot really understand. It is too many changes at a time to really keep the Star Wars spirit. Chow might have done a fine job in defining a new visual style with a new sound. But she failed by that at making Star Wars. One of the two might have worked. Two is too much.

Might have worked with an unrelated story and different characters like in The Mandalorian. Fails in a story about Obi-Wan Kenobi, Leia, Vader, Luke etc.

And, let's face it, Star Wars is probably the one and only franchise, where all those Star Wars fan composers would have the opportunity to write a classical orchestral score. But after Giacchino and Powel (and partly in Visions) noone did that.

And if someone says, Chow just didn't want something oldfashioned, but new, I would respond, Williams' scores for the sequels don't sound old fashioned to me at all. It's just good music. But it seems to be a level and a quality in orchestral writing that isn't widely available out there.

And how could it be? JW Williams was about 50 when he wrote TESB and had about 25 years experience as composer in the business, not talking of his musical education and capabilities and experience as a performer, which is really a thing in my mind for a composer. He was 82 when he wrote The Force Awakens. Who should be able to catch up with that, who is more or less at the beginning of her or his composer carreer?

So MovieMUsic says JW didn't want his themes to be used extensively. What do we think about this?

Is JW being senselessly difficult?

Is this his way of telling Disney he's sick and tired of the butchering of something he (inexplicably) sees as a/his work of art while to the rest of the world it just means MONEY MONEY MONEY?

But in that case, why did he agree to do the ST?

I'd say the fear of being dated is a bit overstated. I've been listening to Gladiator a few times over recent weeks and the battle music, which many criticize, sounds like it could've been written yesterday. I think you've got to go much further back to the more early 90s-sounding scores to find music that really sounds dated, mainly due to the synthesized sounds they used.

On 27/06/2022 at 7:09 PM, Andy said:

Indeed. This RCP sound will be dated a few decades from now, while William’s symphonic fairy tale score will remain forever timeless. 

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I would like to add one aspect, that used to be mentioned in context of Williams' Star Wars music: Timelessness

There is a reason, why in spite of all the changes to the original movies by Georg Lucas he more or less left the music as it was. 

I predict, The new scores, Kenobi, The Mandalorian, are not going to age very well. However the musical fashion of motion picture scores will evolve, these modern scores with their RPC hybrid electronic/orchestra/taiko drum sound bricks will be seen a typical period scores. 

Yep!

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The symphonic sound typified by JW's Star Wars is timeless. The stuff Holt did is not.

I concur!

Now that I've looked at the music again after a few days, these are the tracks I've added to my film score playlist:

image.png

Obi-Wan: well, of course XD! This is by far the best track on this album. But I kind of want the reworked version from the Star Wars Celebration as a studio recording, because it has that nice C minor chord at the end before it resolves to C major. The Ab major on the album version sounds pretty flat in comparison: 

(6:45)

Inquisitor's Hunt: I really like the Inquisitor's Theme. I just can't listen to it without tapping along to that cool syncopated rhythm. 

Young Leia: The best track from Natalie Holt. Leia's theme is really so beautiful to listen to, it has this childlike but very euphoric sound that I love. I get annoyed every time that this track is over as quickly as it came upon us XD.

Hold Hands: I could also imagine the score quite well with this theme as Obi-Wan theme....

Overcoming the Past: I don't understrand why 'I Will do What I Must' is more appreciated than this one. The choir in here sounds at least a bit more realistic than in 'I Will do What I Must'. The rendition of Holt's/Ross' Vader theme is thrilling, the Imperial March performance is ... okay.... (God, I hate this timpani sound!)

Saying Goodbye: Has that nice farewell sound, the legacy theme statements are awesome. 

End Credit: Again a cool arrangement of JW's theme, the ending is really cool with this typical ritardando of the ostinato with the piano and then the harp arpeggio.

What I generally take away from the score:

Combining the modern style with JW's style doesn't really work.

I think by going on this double track, there was no real continuity, which made it a very rough experience.

To be perfectly honest, and I feel uncomfortable writing this, but maybe the show would have gone better without JW's contribution, because then William Ross wouldn't have had to step in and Natalie Holt could have put more focus on her (thematic) work. From what I can tell from 'Hold Hands', her Obi-Wan theme would have been very appropriate as well.

(But that John Williams has given us another Star Wars piece is, just in its own terms, fantastic!!!!)

Contrary to my expectations, I kind of liked the fact that so few thematic references were used (I know many see it differently).

William Ross definitely deserves credit as co-composer, he scored the final battle, the end credits and did most of the thematic work for Obi-Wan. I think it was all a very unfortunate coincidence. JW's theme probably just came too late, and then Natalie Holt can't just replace all the statements of her theme on her own in that short amount of time, obviously.

But it's good to know that Ross at least wasn't treated as a ghostwriter, but that he got the credit he deserved for his work, at least formally, on the album. Unfortunately, that didn't go over 100% with the public. 

i kinda know what you mean:

(11:14)

this is pretty much the worst transition in the history of star wars music.

But the timpani sound is not as bad as in Obi-Wan. In ROTS it wasn't recorded with a microphone that close.

Listen to this from Anakin's Dark Deeds, the timpani sounds passable:

this is much worse:

If you listen to it in comparison, you can hear that here the timpani does not connect organically with the rest of the orchestra at all, but rather seems to be like added on top.

On 29/06/2022 at 12:37 PM, David Gawne said:

If you delete the Holt material and just have an 8 track album of Ross tracks it`s a really sad tease of what could have been if he had been allowed to score the entire series. It`s nice to listen to Williams` Obi-Wan theme then hear what Ross does with it through the other 6 tracks then the end credits. If he had been allowed the whole series imagine what else he could have done. I don`t hate Holts score but actually that`s the problem it`s just blah. It neither infuriates or inspires. It`s adequate. That`s not Star Wars. Why do we have to put up with Disney hiring these 'That`ll do' composers when we have people like Joel McNeely, Gordy Haab who know how to score Star Wars.  Bruce Broughton and John Debney are both big Disney guys and they would give us a stonker of a Star Wars score. Is this what the future of Star Wars music sounds like? Like it`s been copied and pasted from a million other movies and shows. I`m not saying people shouldn`t try new things as i like The Mandalorian theme and Bobba Fett and they sound nothing like Williams but it really gets to me when i`m listening to a score for a Star Wars product and i`m bored. 

11.PNG

I hate to say it but now that I listened to the score, I think you are right. Holt's music isn't bad, but it just doesn't differentiate itself from your typical modern scoring of this genre. A lot of snaring drums, looping ostinatos, and rumbling horns. She is at her best when she score more dramatic character moments and locals like "Young Leia" and  "Mapuzo." I also agree that William Ross's cue set is better than Holts. Not too inspired either, but it just got a bit more soul to it. I also say that even Williams' Obi Wan theme sounds weary. Never felt like it truly went somewhere. The only part I disagree with is that guys like Debney and Haab are the answer. I think Williams and Ross both need to let Star Wars go. Just move away from the trying to imitate the Williams sound. 

On 29/06/2022 at 8:06 PM, artguy360 said:

Listening to the OST again, it's clear to me that the action music by Holt is what brings down the score the most. Her music for Leia and the more melodic stuff are not bad at all. The action music though is just modern movie noise and drums. 

Yeah agree 100%. Wish she get to score more of a Star Wars drama next time. 

On 02/07/2022 at 4:13 PM, artguy360 said:

From this interview, it seems like Lucasfilm higher ups maintain quite a grip on these productions. This interview suggests not even the director has final say on the music, but rather Kathleen Kennedy or other higher ups. Honestly sounds like a nightmare working environment. I appreciate Holt's honesty in this interview. 

I am surprise anyone would want to work on a Star Wars movies. You start writing your own music and then the producer intrudes, then the president, then Williams, then Ross. After that, you have a legion of fans with preconceived expectations of what the music should be. Is anything truly your choice? 

Yeah, the whole timeless argument rings a little hollow to me, given that a lot of people still listen to plenty of 70s-90s songs that most definitely aren't in fashion currently with modern music.

Hell, if we wanted to stay in the realm of synth in film scores, then Blade Runner very easily stands out as a score that is has remained evocative and fresh all these years later.

It was put best a couple of posts earlier: it matters more if the material is actually interesting and engaging than if it stylistically is very pedestrian.

Also, given MV/RCP has been the it thing for almost 2 decades (over if you feel they dominated part of the 90s), maybe we should start talking about if they hold up after the trends have actually fully shifted.

1 hour ago, Mephariel said:

I am surprise anyone would want to work on a Star Wars movies. You start writing your own music and then the producer intrudes, then the president, then Williams, then Ross. After that, you have a legion of fans with preconceived expectations of what the music should be. Is anything truly your choice? 

Everything Star Wars seems incredibly micro-managed by Lucasfilm. They've replaced directors, composers, writers, announced projects only to scrap them. Aside from Filoni and Fav, it seems like no one at Lucasfilm has a clear idea of what Star Wars is or should be. And yet, they don't trust the creatives they hire to execute their own vision.

3 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Lastly, I am not sure if today's composers care all that much about timelessness. Is that even really their ambition? I think composers today wants to be inventive, unique, with the distinction of having avant-garde prestige.

For that ambition these today's composers sound surprisingly equal to eachother.

I consider the Silent Hill soundtracks to be timeless and they feature minimal orchestral elements

For me in this context, I see 'timeless' as meaning that this score fits the universe it was created for so well, that it doesn't matter how much time passes because there will never be another approach that exemplifies everything the franchise stands for and the kind of overall tone it is trying to convey. I can't imagine Silent Hill with Akira Yamaoka's soundscape just as much as I can't image Star Wars without John Williams', and in both cases that soundscape is much broader and more malleable than people give it credit for - but it is not infinite. You can still break the soundscape and end up with something good, but it won't ever be timeless

The Mandalorian is a good example, the main theme is the most traditionally scored aspect of the entire show and incidentally is the one thing that has transcended into the public consciousness

6 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Anyone else think the Mando main theme might be the most iconic TV theme of the decade?

Yea

1 hour ago, Jay said:
7 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Anyone else think the Mando main theme might be the most iconic TV theme of the decade?

Yea

That says more about the decade and the TV themes of the decade than about the Mando main theme itself.