Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

I've done an overview of the themes of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series (more than you might think!) and identified how the album tracks are used in the episodes. In case of errors please report!

Currently I'm still a little unsure about the "Agony" theme, so if anyone feels like checking this out, please do!

Obi-Wan Kenobi Themes.pdf 114.02 kB · 8 downloads

This is amazing, thanks!

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

Currently I'm still a little unsure about the "Agony" theme, so if anyone feels like checking this out, please do!

Obi-Wan Kenobi Themes.pdf 114.02 kB · 10 downloads

Unsure about what? If it exists? I can confirm it does I noticed it in my viewing, glad to see it listed!

+ you forgot the Dies Irae theme. It's a borderline case, of course, because it wouldn't really be composed by any of the three, but I think the two uses in this series are a nice continuation of the mysteriousness that this theme has in the Star Wars universe.

I also realized that if the "Appearance in Episodes" column is all accurate, then you've also figured out the chronological order of the OST album

Not in show

1. (Williams) 01 Obi-wan
  2. (Holt) 09 Ready To Go

Every episode

1. (Ross) 31 End Credits

Episode 1

1. (Holt) 02 Order 66
  2. (Holt) 03 Inquisitor’s Hunt
  3. (Holt) 04 Young Leia
  4. (Holt) 05 Days of Alderaan
  5. (Holt) 07 Bail and Leia
  6. (Holt) 08 Nari’s Shadow
  7. (Ross) 06 The Journey Begins

Episode 2

1. (Holt) 10 Daiyu
  2. (Holt) 12 Spice Den
  3. (Holt) 11 Cat and Mouse

Episode 3

1. (Holt) 14 Mapuzo
  2. (Holt) 15 The Path
  3. (Holt) 16 Sensing Vader

Episode 4

1. (Holt) 17 Parallel Lines 
  2. (Holt) 19 Stormtrooper Patrol
  3. (Ross) 13 First Rescue
  4. (Holt) 20 Hangar Escape
  5. (Holt) 21 Hold Hands

Episode 5

1. (Ross) 18 Some Things Can’t Be Forgotten
  2. (Holt) 22 Empire Arrival 
  3. (Holt) 23 Dark Side Assault
  4. (Holt) 25 Sacrifice
  5. (Holt) 26 No Further Use

Episode 6

1. (Ross) 24 I Will Do What I Must
  2. (Holt) 28A [0:00-1:15] Tatooine Desert Chase
  3. (Ross) 27 Overcoming the Past
  4. (Holt) 28B [1:15-end] Tatooine Desert Chase
  5. (Holt) 29 Who You Become
  6. (Ross) 30 Saying Goodbye

Have people figured out what scene "Ready To Go" was likely composed for?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have people figured out what scene "Ready To Go" was likely composed for?

You could guess from the title that it's from the finale of Episode 1, where he does go on his journey, but I just played this track over the scene and it's way too long and doesn't really fit the scene.... Maybe it was for a version of that finale that was longer or different somehow. 

Maybe someone could try asking Natalie on social media what scene(s) it was composed for?

I wouldn't say the bit in "First Rescue" is the same as that bit in that video.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ross's Menacing Vader

1. (Ross) 18 Some Things Can't Be Forgotten
  2. (Ross) 24 I Will Do What I Must

This theme also occurs in 27 Overcoming the Past.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Holt's Stormtroopers

1. (Holt) 23 Dark Side Assault

This also in 19 Stormtrooper Patrol and 22 Empire Arrival

I'm trying to make a small playlist of my favourites from the soundtrack and I'm not sure what to put.

'Hanger Escape'

'Saying Goodbye'

'Ready To Go'

'Young Leia'

'Empire Arrival'

'No Further Use'

'The Journey Begins'

That's all hmm

So, does anybody here want to try asking Natalie Holt on social media what scene(s) "Ready To Go" was composed for?

Someone else will have to answer that, I don't use any social media

But probably just tweet at her, no?

The one thing I will say is that, as others have already said, Holt's music is all in chronological order (as is Ross', but they are in their own separate orders), so that could perhaps give us a clue as to where it could've gone. I'll might try syncing it up to the finale of episode 1 later and see if that works.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'll might try syncing it up to the finale of episode 1 later and see if that works.

On 05/07/2022 at 4:26 PM, Michael G. said:

You could guess from the title that it's from the finale of Episode 1, where he does go on his journey, but I just played this track over the scene and it's way too long and doesn't really fit the scene.... Maybe it was for a version of that finale that was longer or different somehow. 

On 02/07/2022 at 5:11 PM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, his reviews are mostly positive, even if the score in question is not that good, like with this one. He even wrote glowing reviews about Balfe recently...

You aren't allowed diss Balfe after he made the banger soundtrack that is "Man Vs. Bee"

08:32-09:39: Goddamn, here you can see that it's not Natalie Holt who's to blame for the mess, but (as usual) Kathleen Kennedy and the director. Why please did they want her to take her theme even further away from the original Leia theme?

6 hours ago, Michael G. said:

08:32-09:39: Goddamn, here you can see that it's not Natalie Holt who's to blame for the mess, but (as usual) Kathleen Kennedy and the director. Why please did they want her to take her theme even further away from the original Leia theme?

Kathy does not usually fuck things up?? tf

16 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I think it's incredibly sad that the director of series producer (for shows that have multiple directors) don't have final say on the score. The score should be a collaboration between the composer (and everyone they work with) and the primary storyteller, be that a director or series producer. High level executives vetoing or giving notes on the score seems like a bad structure for making films and TV shows or any creative endeavor.

I think, your statement highly depends on who this high level executive is. If it would be George Lucas or a Steven Spielberg, you might say, luckily there is a high level executive for some kind of quality assurance. It doesn't matter who has the last word, as long as it is someone with the right taste, or?

In general I would say, creative directors, composers, high level executives should just be aligned better in advance what they expect and not say "Sure. You are the creative power here. Do what you want." And afterwards starting to micro-manage everything.

56 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, your statement highly depends on who this high level executive is. If it would be George Lucas or a Steven Spielberg, you might say, luckily there is a high level executive for some kind of quality assurance. It doesn't matter who has the last word, as long as it is someone with the right taste, or?

In general I would say, creative directors, composers, high level executives should just be aligned better in advance what they expect and not say "Sure. You are the creative power here. Do what you want." And afterwards starting to micro-manage everything.

No, I think the director on a film or series producer on a series should have the final say in collaboration with the composer. If George Lucas isn't the director, then he shouldn't have final say. Same for Steven Spielberg. For example, Spielberg is technically a producer for the Halo tv series. I don't think his opinion on the score should matter at all. 

23 hours ago, artguy360 said:

No, I think the director on a film or series producer on a series should have the final say in collaboration with the composer. If George Lucas isn't the director, then he shouldn't have final say. Same for Steven Spielberg. For example, Spielberg is technically a producer for the Halo tv series. I don't think his opinion on the score should matter at all. 

Spielberg has been lauded as non-interferer by his colleagues, which makes JW's role on 'Kenobi' even more dubious. Why on earth do a power move like that and take over at the 11th hour from a female rookie composer and make yourself looking like an ogre? (and for a piece of shit series, at that)

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't finished the interview yet but damn I would've liked to have heard some of her earlier theme ideas. She says that she wrote a lot of Williams-esque themes and Deborah Chow didn't like any of them, the only early theme she approved was the RCP-like inquisitor theme

58 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

I haven't finished the interview yet but damn I would've liked to have heard some of her earlier theme ideas. She says that she wrote a lot of Williams-esque themes and Deborah Chow didn't like any of them, the only early theme she approved was the RCP-like inquisitor theme

I wish Deborah Chow had made a moderately unsuccessful film between Mando and Obi Wan so they could have fired her and gotten a better director