Natalie Holt's OBI-WAN KENOBI (2022)

Jay

The level of vitriol in this thread is so intense it feels like you have to put some sort of firm stake down as your position but I haven’t really formed a solid opinion of Holt’s part of the score. It seemed fine on my one viewing of the episodes.  It didn’t jump out at me as especially good or bad.  Like how for instance, when Gia’s imperial theme first played in Rogue One and I was like “this doesn’t work it feels like a parody.”  I like R1 enough that I’ve just gotten used to it, but it was a bad first impression.  Holt’s work didn’t make a bad first impression for me at least.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I have not seen Obi-Wan and while I am not a big Star Wars Fan, I think JW's score (especially ROTS & TFA) are very good (though definitively not his best work). I can understand if fans want the SW shows to sound like JW's Star Wars. However, the general negative discussion in this thread against Holt and in other threads against composers that do not sound a certain way or are not "approved by JWFAN" is a bit much sometimes. Of course on a JW forum it makes sense but the discussion is often just based on stuff like "we dislike this composer, or this style" and a more open discussion, which is not based on thrashing things one doesn't like, seems like a healthier climate for discussion.

I myself am a fan of multiple types of film music, dating back to golden age scores, all the way to scores written in 2022 so I just don't get the tribalism. If I don't like a score then that is fine, I'll just listen to something else that I do like.

Agree 100%.

I'm the same as you. I love score from the Golden Age and I love scores that are made in 2022

RCP-esque incidental music is disliked no matter its ties to Star Wars or not, or the time of release. However producers of the show also operate on liking or disliking certain style of music, so it's not so one-dimensional. Deborah Chow is not a musician, her instructions must have been basic.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

As much as i disagree with holt approach i would never talk to her personally about that… seems rude. I am an hypocrite i suppose…

If you talked to Holt about what you don't like about her score, this would definitely fall into the category "mansplaining", which is a deadbeat argument. 

I also tend to express myself in the first step overly critical. And for sure I am at first not very open minded.

Anyway, critical exchange and discussion can be very fruiteful in questioning things accessing them.

The only thing I dislike ion the one hand s pure negativity without proper arguments why, and on the other hand being discredited as some kind of hater even though I justified my critical statement with arguments, that I find worth discussing about.

I personally would never make a statement like "I like Golden Age scores and scores from today".

I rather would say "I like good Golden Age scores and good scores from today". And I passionately dislike those that I consider bad or boring. Same for Star Wars music.

How could I appreciate good music if I don't differenciate between good and bad music?

Yoou could argue, whoever makes it in the business to professionally score Holiwood movies must be brillant, so there is nothing to dislike there. Fair point. Not my view on the world. I don't need other people to tell me what I like.

On the other hand I made the experience, that people managed to provide me deeper inside into certain kinds of music, that I disliked at first, by explaining what they liked about it, where this or that influence comes from, what this or that represents etc. Can happen. 

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I personally would never make a statement like "I like Golden Age scores and scores from today".

I rather would say "I like good Golden Age scores and good scores from today". And I passionately dislike those that I consider bad or boring. Same for Star Wars music.

Why would anyone like scores that they find bad? Doesn’t make sense to me…and the word good (which is subjective) doesn’t seem needed in my post as it is extremely obvious that it is implied both in regard to scores from the golden age and modern scores.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Obviously a guess, but I'd say that given Holt wasn't replaced at the last minute, LFL and the director probably think she did do a good job. She did what they asked of her. Your frustration towards the music is probably better directed at them, who decided the tone they wanted and pretty much knew what they were getting, having heard her work from Loki.

I was actually referring to not liking Kevin Kiner’s music in that post.

Why did George Lucas micromanage the score? He’s not even involved AFAIK. Holt has said several things that seem like lies.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Why would anyone like scores that they find bad? Doesn’t make sense to me…and the word good (which is subjective) doesn’t seem needed in my post as it is extremely obvious that it is implied both in regard to scores from the golden age and modern scores.

You are completely right. I just wrote that, because you made that statement arguing against people who mentioned that they don't like Holt's score. You said:

57 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

I myself am a fan of multiple types of film music, dating back to golden age scores, all the way to scores written in 2022 so I just don't get the tribalism. If I don't like a score then that is fine, I'll just listen to something else that I do like.

First of all I am sure that people who dislike Holt's score, don't permanently listen to it. They avoid it ptobably. But still they can talk about it. Disappointment comes from unfulfilled expectations. And for Star Wars usually here around expectations are quite high. Yours might not be. Maybe that is the only difference between you and those who express their disappointment with the current score.

I unfortunately can connect to many of the negative arguments mentioned here. 

I agree, people should not spend too much energy on something they don't like. That is no good karma. But from your statement I cannot see the difference between you and the others from your argument about what you like: Good music. They do, too.

By the way, I didn't read any post here, someone stating that they don't like Nathalie Holt. We don't know her. It was just about her Star Wars score. That's simply not everyones cup of tea. And I personally would even go a step further and say, it lacks a certain musical quality, that I expect in a Star Wars score. But I said the same about the scores of The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett and Bad Batch.

I want to go back in time to 2019 and tell myself that Mandalorian season 1 would actually be the highest point of the scores to the live action shows (not counting the JW theme). I wonder how much I would have thrown up.

Lol, it's funny how Disney & co. had no interest in George's ideas for the sequels, but now he gets cited (more like blamed) for stuff like this. Does anyone really believe that GL would have been against the Force theme being used for that big moment at the end of the second episode? Or against Leia's theme being used?

I'd also love to hear her reason for not using the Imperial March or some other recognizable theme, to score the Vader reveal. Heck, even just reprising the last few bars of "Anakin's Dark Deeds" (the ostinato) would have been extremely effective...

I haven't heard about any involvement from George Lucas on this particular show, until Holt's comment. And again, it's entirely possible that (1) she made it up, or (2) she's referencing some generic comment made by him in the past, to someone else/regarding a different show.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

don't understand your point. The Kenobi show was still going to be made (and thus need a composer), regardless of whether or not it was Holt who scored it... There is no possible circumstance in which you would have gotten "nothing."

You know what I mean. If hypothetically it came down to Holt's music that we got, or nothing at all, I will gladly take Holt's music

12 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I don't understand this "It's better than NOTHING" mentality. Sounds like how people settle for mediocrity, which only encourages more mediocrity in the future.

Exactly what I think. It's because of that sort of mentality that most film music for Hollywood productions these days is so generic and mediocre. 

If they were trying to reduce the use of the Force theme for just mundane uses of the Force, instead of situations like..... Ben explaining the Force in his hut, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I don't understand this "It's better than NOTHING" mentality. Sounds like how people settle for mediocrity, which only encourages more mediocrity in the future.

I agree with you on the one hand that yes, settling for less is not a good thing. But I think that @greenturnedblue's point is to look at what we did get and to enjoy it for what it is. It's a glass half-full attitude, and I find nothing wrong with that.

This is coming from someone that doesn't like RCP-style stuff either, and that isn't totally in love with much of the score for this series other than the orchestral moments I somewhat recall in the first episode. I also somewhat like the jaunty music when they're trying to find Leia in the forest when she was in the tree and supposed to be in the dress - it plays into her penchant for doing things her way. Again I've only seen the episodes once so far so that's how I recall it.

So in general, I agree with what most people are saying here because I'm biased towards orchestral music in the vein of, if not directly composed by, John Williams. I always would prefer that over synths and upfront mixed taiko drums, believe me. But the reality of the situation is that the orchestral sound for film is going away in terms of popularity, and I lament that! It makes me sad to think about it as someone that's trying to start a career in the film business. I mean goodness, it was out of fashion when Williams, Lucas and co. did it for the first Star Wars film! But I also think that there will always be a place for that type of music depending on the film (just look at Powell and the How to Train Your Dragon series! And even the newer Ghostbusters: Afterlife score; Danny Bensi and Saunder Jurriaans' score for Windfall; Emile Mosseri's score for Homecoming... just recent ones off the top of my head that are new scores which I personally find fantastic). So while maybe the new Kenobi show isn't setting high bars so far, I'm hopeful for the future landscape of film music - the concert circuit is helping this too! I just went to see some of John Williams' music in concert the other night, and people loved it!!! There's such an appeal to having real players together making music, and that will not be lost on people for a long time. Filmmakers have only to experience that to have their minds opened to what else can be done for music in films.

Just my two cents.

7 minutes ago, artus_grayboot said:

@greenturnedblue's point is to look at what we did get and to enjoy it for what it is. It's a glass half-full attitude, and I find nothing wrong with that

You know what they say -- Nobody hates Star Wars like Star Wars fans. Why cant people just enjoy what we get and appreciate we are getting new Star Wars content in 2022

13 hours ago, Gibster said:

I believe this is referring to The Clone Wars. Based on an interview with Dave Filoni for Rebel Force Radio (back then it was called something else, forgive me), George Lucas didn't want the themes to be used a lot because they were trying to do something different. I personally also think that they were trying to have that show be inherently good based on its own storytelling merits, and not because of a heavy reliance on what came before.

But I could be totally wrong - maybe George Lucas relayed this message to Natalie Holt and her team!

I think, it makes no sense to pick on the composers for all these immature Star Wars TV scores. They were hired and instructed to do what they did, and I am sure, they did it the best way they could.

We can question, If it was a good idea to hire them.

And we will never know, If we would have been happier with Williams pastiche à la Gordy Haap.

Basically, it is a good direction that at last Kathleen Kennedy seems to aim more for originality in the new Star Wars content instead of repetitive fan service. Took long enough.

If that goes hand in hand with a lack of quality, it is still better than this awful repetition. 

I am also not happy with the musical direction. It would have been worth to invest more here in maturity and quality. But I blame the producers not the composer.

2 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

So in general, I agree with what most people are saying here because I'm biased towards orchestral music in the vein of, if not directly composed by, John Williams. I always would prefer that over synths and upfront mixed taiko drums, believe me. But the reality of the situation is that the orchestral sound for film is going away in terms of popularity, and I lament that! 

I don't think that it's really true that the orchestral sound for film/tv is going away. Sure there are a lot of 'other ways' films get scored and more often the orchestra is accompanied by synths or electronics. But the orchestral sound is far from going away I think.

Last year some of the biggest films & series had orchestral scores (Just a few):

WandaVision

Luca

Fear Street

Masters Of The Universe: Revelation

Jungle Cruise

What If...?

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings

Venom: Let There Be Carnage

The Last Duel

The Curse Of Turandot

Only Murders In The Building

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Encanto

Lost In Space

Hawkeye

Being The Ricardos

Succession

Nightmare Alley

Spider-Man: No Way Home

The King's Man

Sure, not everybody will like everything (and more). But I don't think the orchestral sound is going away

48 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

If Seth MacFarlane had worked on this it would have gotten a kick-ass SW orchestral score for sure. He at least understands the importance of this type of music in shows that evoke the romance and drama of outer space.

We might have get Joel McNeely for sure and perhaps Williams would have forgive him Shadow of the Empire

4 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Wow. Earlier when I read your other comment, I remember thinking to myself, "This sounds like one of those people who would say 'Can't people just be glad we're getting new Star Wars?!'"

To this I would answer: no!

Something in these discussions sometimes gets lost, which is to my mind especially important for Star Wars music: 

After all we are talking about musical compositions, not about instruments or sounds.

I wouldn't mind, if we got for a new series a sophisitcated new compositions with maybe synthetic sounds or folk instruments, as long as they are written in the same idiom as the original Star Wars score of the romantic musical tradition of the 19th and the early 20th century. I don't care about beats per minute. But I would at least like so hear something as impressive as the little flute interlude after the original 1977 main title march.

That is where I think, that the scores of Michael Giacchino and John Powel at least leaned into the right direction. Probably The Mandalorian messed it all up and burried the motivation for such sophisticated scores.