Obi-Wan Kenobi theme 1977 vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi theme 2022

Garrett

Obi-Wan Kenobi theme 1977 vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi theme 2022  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme do you think will be more enjoyable to listen to?

• 1977 Obi-Wan theme (which later became the Force Theme)
    • 2022 Obi-Wan theme
    • Half remembered dream, by Hans Zimmer
  2. 2. Which theme do you think will better represent Obi-Wan's character?

• 1977 theme
    • 2022 theme
    • Baby, by Justin Bieber
  3. 3. In general, is John Williams a better or worse composer than he was in 1977?

• His powers have doubled
    • When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not!
    • Same as always. (That bad, huh?)

This poll is closed to new votes

With the Obi-Wan TV show coming up, we'll be getting a brand-new Star Wars theme, and I can't wait! This will be especially interesting given the fact than JW has already written a theme for Obi-Wan 45 years ago. It makes me wonder which theme will turn out to the be "better."

The original theme, now the Force Theme, is iconic and (possibly) one of the best themes John Williams has written. On the other hand, John Williams has had 45 years to improve his skills as a composer and stew on this.

So, who do you think will end up being able to claim the better theme: Young John Williams, or Old John Williams?

Isn't a version this thread best suited to after the new theme is released?

And also, I prefer the treatments of old Benny's theme best in ANH compared to JW's other Star Wars score. I love the mystical sound it has and how it is played in the wind section. Although the best rendition of the Force theme is in ESB. By the prequels old Benny's theme is played with more brassy flair which I like, but not as much. 

10 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Although the best rendition of the Force theme is in ESB.

Losing a Hand? For Luke and Leia?

I really like the new theme--it has many of the stylistic touches of Williams' bittersweet themes of the last decade.  The cute little intermezzo is also a nice touch.  However, I think the force theme will always reign supreme--I am most happy that it got its own concert version called "The Throne Room."  

5 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Indeed, though I found the inclusion of a giant choir of 30 bagpipes to be an unexpected choice. 

House Atreides got nothin' on the Obi-Wan theme

17 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Indeed, though I found the inclusion of a giant choir of 30 bagpipes to be an unexpected choice. 

If JW hadn't done it, it would have been only a matter of time before HanZ did it.

@Garrett, I just gave you your first like.

You're welcome.

I don't quite dare to hope for something as good as Rey's Theme. I"d be happy for something along the lines of Rebellion Is Reborn but I don't think Obi-Wan in Exile musically will strike the same tone as Luke in Exile.

As far as comparisons with the Force Theme go, that one has been so overused recently, I think we're all ready to give it a rest and listen to something else.

My sarcasm and satire sensors have been so saturated by this thread that I'm not going to believe my eyes when DisneyMusicVEVO puts out "Breakfast at Benny's ft. the Hollywood Studio Marimba Nonet & LA Bagpipe Choir."

I'm just going to fall out of my chair and die.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If JW hadn't done it, it would have been only a matter of time before HanZ did it.

Keep his name outta your fucking mouth.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I just hope JW grabs this golden opportunity to write the first ever love theme of the saga.

Eejit.

@GerateWohl is right. This has absolutely no context. I'd hate to form a judgement of a piece of music, before it's even heard, but my guess is that it will have "nods" to The Force Theme, but Holt will wish to stamp her own personality and talent onto the theme. She has huge boots to fill, but this is not 1977, it is 2022, with a chalk-and-cheese approach to scoring.

I wish her well in her endeavours.

On 23/04/2022 at 5:54 PM, Tom said:

I really like the new theme--it has many of the stylistic touches of Williams' bittersweet themes of the last decade.  The cute little intermezzo is also a nice touch.  However, I think the force theme will always reign supreme--I am most happy that it got its own concert version called "The Throne Room."  

The quiet reserve of the main melody serves as an excellent contrast to the brashness heard in Williams' theme for the upcoming LA Olympics.

Is there actually a release of this? Are people just being sarcastic commenting on specifics?

4 minutes ago, Miz said:

Is there actually a release of this? 

No

4 minutes ago, Miz said:

Are people just being sarcastic commenting on specifics?

Yes

Closing the poll now. (Also, I made some very minor changes to the wording of the options. Hopefully this doesn't skew the results in any way.)

• 4 weeks later...