Steven Spielberg Details How Harrison Ford Helped Get ‘E.T.’ Made

Edmilson

On 24/04/2022 at 5:03 PM, Andy said:

And after all that, his cameo got cut!  A very nice story.

Well, he's still in it. But you only see his hands, hear his voice etc., not his face. A brilliant touch, in line with the child perspective of the film.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's not the science teacher, he's the Principal in the levitating chair scene.  I thought that remained deleted, even for the 2002 edition.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

When E.T. was first released, there were a couple of photographs showing Elliott writing on a wall, and (I think) a glass window. Were these part of the deleted "principal" scene, or were they publicity shots?

part of the deleted scenes. They showed up on Topps trading cards. 

There's also that black and white photo of Elliot's mom laying topless and E.T. giving her Reese's Pieces? Please tell me I didn't make that up :lol:

Whew. Though it's not the exact shot.

I always wonder how things like this make it so far that they're even filmed... unless for the sight on set? Ugh, I'll stop thinking about it now

Ahh now I remember that part in the novelization which I read 20 years ago! Also that Elliot wanted to paint his room all black.

E.T. was really lucky that he was an electrical engineer left behind! Would the cook or accountant have been able to build a callback signal generator from scratch? If their telepathics worked that far then even this one wouldn't have needed it.

(Written by an unbiased electrical engineer who certainly couldn't build something like it from scratch)

6 hours ago, Holko said:

E.T. was really lucky that he was an electrical engineer left behind! Would the cook or accountant have been able to build a callback signal generator from scratch? 

Probably not, but I bet that he could whip up a short stack, while waiting for his pals to come back.

E.T. was really lucky that he ended up in a house of hoarders in the 80s.  If he had landed in a minimalist household of today, there'd be no crucial sawblade or coffee can parts.  He'd just be holding the record player and thinking "dafuq?"

And it was today after 40 years of this movie that I realized Elliot's Family has no surname!  I wonder if Mathison originally wrote one.  Even the dysfunctional Neary's of CE3K had a last name.

And just for fun, here is Mathison and Harrison Ford looking like he just stepped out of the Amityville Horror.

melissa-mathison-dead.jpg