John Williams to score “Blue Orchestra” Anime (*debunked rumor*)

JohnnyD

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I will also take that bet.

And no euphemisms or slang.  I mean his actual head (as in the one with a nose)

You're on.  If this turns out to be real and igger6 at least makes a true attempt to eat his own head, I will......

Is there any chance this is just hype over licensing a DG recording of a Williams piece or something? 

If he's composed even a single note of original material, "Dear Basketball" is no longer the most unexpected John Williams commission of all time.

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Is there any chance this is just hype over licensing a DG recording of a Williams piece or something? 

If he's composed even a single note of original material, "Dear Basketball" is no longer the most unexpected John Williams commission of all time.

I feel like at most they animated a scene to a Vienna or Berlin track and JW/his team looked at it and gave the OK to use it (which would technically make it a collaboration)

1 minute ago, Stu said:

You're on.  If this turns out to be real and igger6 at least makes a true attempt to eat his own head, I will......

Does biting my lip count?  I did that as a kid!

Hat tip: Charles Dickens

If I find myself unable to consume my own head, I will at least use what brains I have left to change my avatar to this:

85.jpg

4 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Williams is making a Hail Mary attempt to try to reconnect with his distant weeb grandchildren and show he's still hip by delving into the anime genre. 

My sarcasm / satire detectors are still utterly blinkered from the Obi-"Benny"-Wan thread...

Is there not a remote possibility (in addition to the licensing angle) that JW is being brought on as a music consultant? Years ago I would have even suggested a guest conductor, but I doubt he'd fly to Japan just for that...

It seems like the manga is about a violinist? They could be tracking in some of the Anne-Sophie Mutter arrangements or even Violin Concerto No. 2 which would be cool. 

If he's writing original music for the show maybe this is the next Mutter collab. 

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

It seems like the manga is about a violinist? They could be tracking in some of the Anne-Sophie Mutter arrangements or even Violin Concerto No. 2 which would be cool. 

If he's writing original music for the show maybe this is the next Mutter collab. 

If Williams sees this as something like Disney's Fantasia, then I could see how it would be attractive from a composer's point of view.  It would be cool to have Mutter part of a scoring duty.  

There's some great anime about music out there, right now one comes to my mind: Kids on the Slope, which is about two kids who play jazz -and it's gorgeous 

So if it's an original piece or not, I'm really excited anyways

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be the illustrations from the manga slightly edited to give an animated feel.

My question now is if this will be part of the anime at all or not? 

So that's it? 'I am working on the project with John Williams' actually means just getting the ok to use the Imperial March in a bit of anime?

Is that recording from the Vienna sessions? I assume so if it's associated with DG.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Is that recording from the Vienna sessions? I assume so if it's associated with DG.

It's from Dudamel's concerts in LA in January 2019

11 minutes ago, Ricard said:

It's from Dudamel's concerts in LA in January 2019.

Nope it's the Vienna Recording, the automatic tag set by Youtube is wrong.

From the video description:

John Williams 90th Birthday Project! An animated video in collaboration with the popular Japanese manga "Blue Orchestra." Music performed by John Williams and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra "Imperial March" (from "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back")

Sorry if I don't understand, what makes the John Williams composer announcement now debunked?

All that video looks like to me is some marketing cross promotion thing slapped together in a couple of hours with some of the manga panels and an already existing recording/composition.

Where does that say anything about his involvement or lack of involvement in the anime?

19 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Sorry if I don't understand, what makes the John Williams composer announcement now debunked?

All that video looks like to me is some marketing cross promotion thing slapped together in a couple of hours with some of the manga panels and an already existing recording/composition.

Where does that say anything about his involvement or lack of involvement in the anime?

It's very unlikely that it's anything more than this since the original announcement listed it as a collaboration with JW and Deutsch Grammophon (both of which are covered by the video).

On 04/05/2022 at 8:07 AM, enderdrag64 said:
On 04/05/2022 at 3:07 PM, Andy said:

Deutsche Grammophone is giving it significant promotion. 

Apparently, DG has commissioned similar animation before. I just saw this for Across the Stars:

https://youtu.be/q5i6hCr0C5o

Wow!  I actually really dig that one.  It’s perfectly balanced, not in your face Star Wars.  These would be cool as bonus features on their Blu Ray releases.