John Williams conducts at Juilliard April 22nd, 2022

That is awesome! Had I known he was visiting Juilliard, I would have planned to stay in New York for another day!

5 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Holy mackerel!  Congrats!  If Johnny ever figures out how to access that flash drive, he's in for a treat!

The dude is scoring Anime now--he can handle a flash drive.

Congrats to the Julliard folks--an early career highlight!

23 hours ago, Potter Scoring Project said:

Yesterday after the Carnegie concert, the Maestro himself came to Juilliard for a conducting session where we played the Superman March, theme from Jurassic Park, and Adventures on Earth. 

That is so cool!

I was lucky enough to play piano/celesta, and Molly (who was in town to see his Carnegie concert the night before) was turning pages for me. So the short version is: both of us were in the room with JW and it was thrilling!

I bet!

1542223212_20220422_125049_HDR3.jpg

Is that a hand-made John Williams teddy bear at the bottom?

More context - Several months ago I saw that our April 22nd orchestra read was going to be a John Williams day, so I went to ask my orchestra director if he’d invite JW to the school since he’ll be in town for the Carnegie concert the night before. He said he’d talk to the dean and reach out to see if it were possible. We finally got confirmation about ten days ago that he’d be able and willing to visit the session. 

It all spun into something much bigger as camera crews set up microphones and the Juilliard president, provost, dean of the music division, and president emeritus arrived.

Wait, cameras and microphones?  Will there be some sort of featurette cut together and shared on Julliard's website or something, perhaps?

We had only about an hour to rehearse everything and were all super excited. John showed up in the late morning, and brought Anne-Sophie Mutter with him, so all of the violins were suddenly panicked which was fun. 

Ha!

He was not planning to conduct us while he was here, only to guide the rehearsal which was led by our grad student conductors. He gave them feedback and spoke to the group about certain aspects of the pieces that he finds particularly difficult to work on with an orchestra. At the end, he was talking about bar 8 of the Jurassic Park theme (where it goes into the main tempo) and how it’s always difficult to get together.

That is so interesting that he'd talk about that specifically!

The conductor who was on the podium at the time asked if he wanted to fix it. He then stood up and took over to much applause. His efficiency in fixing it was incredible. It was an amazing couple minutes that we’ll never forget. 

I bet!

Afterwards he got a photo op at the aforementioned John Williams Orchestra Library. With the amount of cameras that were in the room, I’m sure it will be thrown on Juilliard’s YouTube page at some point in the coming months once they edit it. 

Ah OK, I should have read more before asking my earlier question :)

Side Note: After we played E.T., Juilliard’s President Damian Woetzel interrupted to say that he had filmed part of it on his phone and sent it to Steven Spielberg who had responded with kind words and a warm hello to John. 

Ha!  How did the president of Julliard get so close with Steven Spielberg?

View from the piano:

This picture doesn't show up, looks like you copy and pasted it in from a gmail but you have to save it and upload it as an attachment here.

15 hours ago, Potter Scoring Project said:

Yes that IS. Molly made it by hand and we ended up being able to give it to him! He now has it in his possession! He said the top was fuzzier than his head. 

Wow, what a great story!

BTW, you keep mentioning Molly -- who is that?  Also maybe you should tell the readers of this thread who you are?

No guarantees but when Juilliard has an event like this and they film it, it's for archival purposes. They sometimes cut something together to put on their YouTube page, but it depends on what. When Dudamel was here last month, they did the same thing and ended up only sharing a 30 second clip on YouTube. So we'll see what they do in the end.

Very cool

Our president is thanked in the end credits of Spielberg's west side story, and Justin Peck and his wife (who choreographed the film) both teach here. So the connection seems feasible as of July 2019.

Ah, makes sense!

Sorry!

Another cool pic, thanks!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

BTW, you keep mentioning Molly -- who is that?  Also maybe you should tell the readers of this thread who you are?

Oh yes sorry let me clarify! This is Ben, normally posting here as the composer for the Potter scoring project. Molly is the music editing/mixing/mastering half of Ravendor Studios so we share this account. We are also both piano students in our daily lives. I'm finishing a Master's in piano at Juilliard and she's doing her Doctorate in piano at CCM (Cincinnati). We're both long-time JWfans so this was a really exciting day for us!

12 hours ago, Thor said:

Awww....that doll was cute. I want one too!

She may have to start selling them!

BP

42 minutes ago, Potter Scoring Project said:

She may have to start selling them!

BP

Add me to the list too, I'll order one!