John Williams' Obi-Wan Kenobi theme - "I just want to write Benny a theme"

SpaceCoyote

So the reason Williams was asked to come back was because the woman composing couldn't come up with any good theme that Kathleen Kennedy liked? And that the score will comprise of what she writes and what Bill Ross will do with the theme and none will have anything to do with the others work? Seriously? Fire her! Get Bill Ross to do it all then!

9 minutes ago, ocelot said:

because the woman composing couldn't come up with any good theme that Kathleen Kennedy liked

I doubt Kathleen Kennedy concerns herself with the themes...

Plus, this all looks like decision-making that will have happened before anyone had the chance to sketch any musical material: it was probably in the conceptual stage.

Also, isn't the main point of the article that Williams specifically wanted to write the theme for the show? Maybe we ought to actually read the info presented before we get too assumption heavy.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I doubt Kathleen Kennedy concerns herself with the themes...

Plus, this all looks like decision-making that will have happened before anyone had the chance to sketch any musical material: it was probably in the conceptual stage.

No I swear...

4 hours ago, ocelot said:

So the reason Williams was asked to come back was because the woman composing couldn't come up with any good theme that Kathleen Kennedy liked? And that the score will comprise of what she writes and what Bill Ross will do with the theme and none will have anything to do with the others work? Seriously? Fire her! Get Bill Ross to do it all then!

Where are you getting William Ross's involvement from? 

On 25/04/2022 at 3:26 AM, Jay said:

I just remembered I once made a post where I pointed out all the Droid Theme spots

In Lando's Palace I hear another tiny moment (maybe just an allusion) of the Droid Motif at 00:58 - 01:05 as Threepio's curiosity gets the better of him. It's definitely a snippet of "Droid" music. Fascinating. 

I know it is probably just PR exaggeration, but Holt's comments are how different the theme is have me intrigued. 

14 hours ago, Tom said:

So Benny's theme was composed in 1977 after all.  

And the intro could in fact be by Johnny "Curley" Williams in a kind of Cinderella Liberty / Stepmom style with a touch of Amistad and Nixon.

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My browser however does say "no" (or rather, "not found") to your image.

It just vanished.

On 28/4/2022 at 2:29 AM, HunterTech said:

If you got your information from Mike Zeroh or an associate of his, then I'm positive you've been bamboozled.

Who? I got my info from inside sources, doesn't mean it is all 100%, I take everything with a grain of salt, but everything I have gotten before or told before has been factual in the end.

3 minutes ago, igger6 said:

So? So? Will they release it on May the 4th?

We will have an answer to that question in one year and a day.  

I've just had a cynical thought. I snapped to attention when the news broke that JW was providing a Han theme for Solo, and that greatly increased my enthusiasm for both the OST and the expanded release. This of course came on the heels of the whole ordeal of Rogue One, which coincidentally underwent its own expansion shortly after...

I find myself similarly fidgety about waiting for what JW and Natalie Holt are doing here, and I'm going into the show with a markedly higher willingness to open my wallet for the score release — something that was nearly totally absent for Mandalorian.

Well, JW's Kenobi theme follows on the heels of Göransson largely doing his own thing for the smash hit that was Mandalorian. If Kenobi does comparably well (lined up against Mandalorian), and if I were in the accounting department at Lucasfilm / Disney, I'd be trying to measure these like A/B tests for the "Williams premium" in the lineage of a score. I.E. I'd want to send a pitch deck up the chain saying, "All else equal, when JW pens the theme, sales go up X%."

If this gets us more Williams Star Wars themes (that he doesn't mind doing), I'm all for it, but I wonder what it means for the future of this body of music.

3 hours ago, j39m said:

I'm all for it, but I wonder what it means for the future of this body of music.

I've been wondering that, too. Its very nice - more than nice, downright unprecedented - to see a composer get the chance to build a connected body of musical material spanning fifty years and encompassing not just nine films and, but also several concert pieces, a theme park and now a TV show.

But at what point does getting John Williams to write new themes gets reduced to a routine? At what point does it start to cheapen (rather than contribute to) this great work? One wonders, one wonders..

21 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My browser however does say "no" (or rather, "not found") to your image.

It's back in for May 4th.

pointing GIF by 1Twente

Is this version the official concert arrangement or some other arrangement? Can't recall this on any Williams record.

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Is this version the official concert arrangement or some other arrangement? Can't recall this on any Williams record.

This is the official concert suite. It's only on concert albums, it was omitted from the official ROTJ album in '83 (aside from part of the ending being repurposed during the second half of "Han Solo Returns" and the full original recording remains unreleased to this day.

Help!

I need somebody
(Help) not just anybody
(Help) you know I need someone, help

So much younger than today
(I never need) I never needed anybody's help in any way
(Now) but now these days are gone (these days are gone)
I'm not so self assured
(And now I find) now I find I've changed my mind
And sent to you this droid

Help me if you can, dear Obi Wan
And I do appreciate you meeting Han
Help me get these plans to Alderaan
Won't you please, please help me...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...