James Horner's JUMANJI (1995) - 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

This is so exciting!  Jumanji is one of my favorite Horner scores.

The OST album was 51 minutes long, and the isolated score track on the DVD has about 71 minutes of music as heard in the final film, and none of it is really any different to the OST versions (other then some extra percussion in the long "Jumanji" cue), so I'm surprised that it's a 2-CD set.  I guess the second disc must contain the entire OST program, unless a whole slew of alternates were recorded that we know nothing about!

There was some source music recorded for the film - Cole Porter's Night and Day, Hark! the Herald Angels Sing, We Wish You a Merry Christmas, etc - I wonder if that will be included?

It's surprisingly harsh and dark, with aleatoric writing and harsh dissonances, quite unusual for a Horner kiddie movie. There was a falling out between Horner and Joe Johnston over this, maybe this explains a bunch of alternates.

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's surprisingly harsh and dark, with aleatoric writing and harsh dissonances, quite unusual for a Horner kiddie movie. There was a falling out between Horner and Joe Johnston over this, maybe this explains a bunch of alternates.

Intriguing... do tell?

I recall lots of speculation in the lead-up to Jurassic Park 3 that Horner would take over composing duties from Williams, simply due to the Joe Johnston connection.

From memory Don Davis was quite a left-field selection.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Intriguing... do tell?

This was a story back then in FSM or possibly Music from the Movies, afair Horner locked horns with Johnson about the musical approach, and i bet Horner was arguing for a strengthening of the heart-tugging aspects, as he always did. In the very same year he had similar problems with William Friedkin about 'Jade', which is why Horner's score is used only sparingly and sometimes substituted with classical music.

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Intriguing... do tell?

I recall lots of speculation in the lead-up to Jurassic Park 3 that Horner would take over composing duties from Williams, simply due to the Joe Johnston connection.

From memory Don Davis was quite a left-field selection.

Did Don Davis orchestrate Jumanji? I forget... I know he contributed to other Horner scores that year, like Balto.

Yavar

24 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Did Don Davis orchestrate Jumanji? I forget... I know he contributed to other Horner scores that year, like Balto.

Yavar

No, it was Steven Bramson, who also worked on Balto, Apollo 13 and A Far Off Place for Horner.

It's certainly not a score that I listen to very often - Horner's 1995 is dominated by much stronger material - but, since the film is quite an important one from my childhood (it was only like the 2nd or 3rd film that I saw in the cinema), it holds enormous nostalgic value and I do enjoy the score within the film. It's very much ingrained within the fabric of what makes it so memorable.

Apparently Intrada wanted to use the home art, but couldn't

Amazon.com: Jumanji (4K UHD + Blu-ray) : Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst,  David Grier, Adam Hann-Byrd, Bonnie Hunt, Jonathan Hyde, Bebe Neuwirth,  Bradley Pierce, James Handy, Patricia Clarkson, Laura Bundy, Joe Johnston,  Scott

Roger said on FSM:

"I love this artwork. We tried to use it but it's exclusive for the home video release, so no such luck."

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147542&forumID=1&archive=0

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Apparently Intrada wanted to use the home art, but couldn't

Amazon.com: Jumanji (4K UHD + Blu-ray) : Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst,  David Grier, Adam Hann-Byrd, Bonnie Hunt, Jonathan Hyde, Bebe Neuwirth,  Bradley Pierce, James Handy, Patricia Clarkson, Laura Bundy, Joe Johnston,  Scott

Roger said on FSM:

"I love this artwork. We tried to use it but it's exclusive for the home video release, so no such luck."

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147542&forumID=1&archive=0

Williams looks like michael bay or horner…

Yes, lose the tagline and increase the size of the game.

But they are no doubt limited to what they can use, and probably any modifications they are allowed to make. I like it more than the OST cover - I'm not a fan of the bright border on the original.

Doug's corner:

"

5/2/2022

Start off the month of May with rousing musical adventure and excitement courtesy James Horner and his rich orchestral accompaniment to Joe Johnston’s wildly successful 1995 franchise-beginner, Jumanji, starring Robin Williams. Expanded 2-CD set available to own starting tomorrow!

"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8902

29 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

How's this one in terms of Horner ""homages"" to himself and others?

Yeah, I am actually trying to remember if the "danger motif" appears in this score...

On 25/04/2022 at 7:48 AM, Jay said:

This is so exciting!  Jumanji is one of my favorite Horner scores.

The OST album was 51 minutes long, and the isolated score track on the DVD has about 71 minutes of music as heard in the final film, and none of it is really any different to the OST versions (other then some extra percussion in the long "Jumanji" cue), so I'm surprised that it's a 2-CD set.  ...

Surprised?

Really?!

Another score that fits on one CD in.complete form.

😒

Well, not quite.

Horner’s original album which features exclusive edits and takes also features on CD 2 of this two-disc set.

Karol

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

How's this one in terms of Horner ""homages"" to himself and others?

Disappointingly original, tbh. No danger motif, just a few vague nods to Casper, Clear and Present Danger.

Interestingly, the soft material was the basis for much of Horner's later americana, cf 'Spitfire Grill', 'Deep Impact' and so on.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, not quite.

Horner’s original album which features exclusive edits and takes also features on CD 2 of this two-disc set.

Karol

Hmm, only "Jumanji" is marked as such, though the track times reveal microedits. Guess we'll have to wait and see but those bonuses definitely would've fit on D1. So weird to just throw them in front of the OST.

8 hours ago, publicist said:

Disappointingly original, tbh. No danger motif, just a few vague nods to Casper, Clear and Present Danger.

Why is that disappointing?

The album version of "Jumanji" is different than the film version and is 12 minutes long, so no matter what the set was going to have to be two discs to include both versions.  So I think it makes total sense to include the entire OST album on disc 2, instead of having disc 2 just be a really short disc of extras.

The only unusual thing I think is that those 3 bonus tracks are presented at the opening of disc 2, rather than the end of disc 1.  But thinking about it, that means Disc 1 gets to be a nice disc you pop in and press play and get a complete score from start to finish that ends nicely.  Then if you want to hear anything extra, you pop in disc 2 to get bonus stuff.  It's kind of nice when you think about it that way

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

The album version of "Jumanji" is different than the film version

The tracklist only says [Film Edit] - is it also compositionally different in parts or is it just edited down?

I remember hearing some drums in the isolated score version that you can't hear on the album version

The 5-second-shorter overall length could also be because the film used some takes that synced to the footage better, while for the album Horner chose the takes he thought were performed the best.  I've seen that happen before on other titles

Horner madly recorded such long cues in one piece so it's plausible, yeah.

Here's Roger's write-up:

"

INTRADA Announces:

JUMANJI
Composed and Conducted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 473

Intrada's latest release from composer James Horner is a 2-CD set of his wild 1995 score for Tri-Star's Jumanji. 1995 was a busy year for Horner, having composed Braveheart, Casper, Apollo 13, Jade and Balto in addition to Jumanji. Directed by Joe Johnston, the film continued the collaboration with Horner, who also scored his films Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, The Rocketeer and The Pagemaster. Horner marshals large orchestral forces for Jumanji for his leitmotif-driven score, augmented by synthesizers and a selection of ethnic instruments, chief among these are two flutes, shakuhachi and quena, used to very different effects. The former is a traditional Japanese bamboo flute that Horner deployed in many of his scores—though rarely as aptly as in Jumanji, where its breathy, guttural tones transform the instrument into a veritable jungle beast. On the other end of the emotional spectrum, the quena (or kena) is a South American wood flute from the Andes region, usually performed with florid vibrato. Its timbre has an idyllic quality and creates islands of tranquility within the score.

Sony Pictures vaulted the complete 6-channel scoring session masters for Jumanji, with three channels devoted to the orchestra mixes and three channels assigned to the sweeteners and electronics. Although their textures and effects are important in select sequences of the score, Horner kept them to a minimum, preferring to emphasize the colors of his large orchestra. The master elements were transferred at 24bit 96kHz with the six channels of audio combined into the vivid final composite two-channel stereo mix made by Shawn Murphy at the Todd-AO Scoring Stage. The complete score appears on disc 1, with disc 2 featuring a remastered original 1995 soundtrack album, produced by the composer with some exclusive takes and edits.

The film opens with a nineteenth-century prologue as the game is sealed underground. The narrative jumps to 1969, when young Alan Parrish discovers the game on the outskirts of a shoe factory and a roll of the dice leaves Alan trapped in the game. The story moves to “present day” 1995, when the game is rediscovered by orphans Judy (Kirsten Dunst) and Peter (Bradley Pierce) Shepherd, after they move into the old Parrish house. Taking up the game where Alan and Sarah left off, the children unleash a plague of jungle beasts on their small town—and in the process release the adult Alan, now portrayed by Robin Williams, who must help them finish the game and thereby undo its pernicious effects.

INTRADA ISC 473
Retail Price: $30.99
Barcode: 7 20258 54730 9
Starts Shipping 5/03
For track listing and sound samples, please visit https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12529/.f

"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8903

Here's Dough's write-up:

"

James Horner
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 473
Film Date: 1995
Album Date: 2022
Time: 130:30
Tracks: 41
Price: $30.99

Colorful expanded action score from James Horner! Wildly successful fantasy adventure franchise from the mind of author-illustrator Chris Van Allsburg has its beginnings with this 1995 hit! Robin Williams headlines the cast, Kirsten Dunst, Bonnie Hunt, Jonathan Hyde, Bebe Neuwirth also feature. Joe Johnston directs, Tristar Pictures presents, James Horner scores. It begins with a game, players make their moves, the pieces snap into place… and incredible adventures result. Giant mosquitos, wild monkeys, animals on the rampage, man-eating plants all become real! Buried within is moving tale of boy lost inside from years past, now freed in the present. Home, father and son relationships, love all play emotional roles amidst wild excitement. 

Matching note for note is florid, exciting symphonic score from James Horner. Mysterious ideas suddenly become frantic, action-filled romps, gentle moments become thundering musical outbursts. Highlights are abundant: “Monkey Mayhem” brings wild orchestral frenzy to the fore while “Mosquito In Car” brings in giant insect on the musical attack. Amidst all the dangers is warm, moving theme for boyhood and home, given heart courtesy woodwinds and strings. When fantastic story reaches climax, Horner unleashes epic-length 11-minute “Jumanji” to do orchestral battle with the elements of nature-gone-wild. Horner’s masterful blend of emotional warmth with rousing excitement is memorable! 

Generous 51-minute 1995 album of highlights is now expanded from original digital scoring session masters, includes previously unreleased gems such as “Store Mayhem”, the aforementioned “Mosquito In Car”, Plant Almost Eats Peter”, several other cues. Horner’s original album which features exclusive edits and takes also features on CD 2 of this two-disc set. 

Informative liner notes by John Takis, graphic package design by Kay Marshall. Steve Bramson orchestrates, James Horner composes, conducts the Hollywood Studio Orchestra. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD release available while quantities and interest remain!

"

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12529/.f

media.nl?id=39277&c=ACCT67745&h=J2JhLprE

media.nl?id=39278&c=ACCT67745&h=Q8noGzAQ

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 5-second-shorter overall length could also be because the film used some takes that synced to the footage better, while for the album Horner chose the takes he thought were performed the best.  I've seen that happen before on other titles

Yes, that's right.

The two versions are similar but the takes used are different.

I didn't care much for this score when I first got it in the 90s. For many years, I didn't play it at all. It felt a little unfocussed, not really a strong thematic identity. Just a bit all-over-the-place and autopilot-like. Well, a couple of years ago, I gave it another chance, and I liked it considerably more. Played it a few times since, and I now consider it good. Not spectacular or anything, but good, solid Horner.

3 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Why is that disappointing?

A joke.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

I didn't care much for this score when I first got it in the 90s. For many years, I didn't play it at all. It felt a little unfocussed, not really a strong thematic identity. Just a bit all-over-the-place and autopilot-like. Well, a couple of years ago, I gave it another chance, and I liked it considerably more. Played it a few times since, and I now consider it good. Not spectacular or anything, but good, solid Horner.

It's good. Not great, but with a real edge (it's very rough and dissonant often). Filed the action music as 'Like Titanic, just in good'.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

The narrative jumps to 1969, when young Alan Parrish discovers the game on the outskirts of a shoe factory and a roll of the dice leaves Alan trapped in the game. The story moves to “present day” 1995, when the game is rediscovered by orphans Judy (Kirsten Dunst) and Peter (Bradley Pierce) Shepherd, after they move into the old Parrish house.

1995 is closer to 1969 than to 2022. :(

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I just finished reading your review! (http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/jumanji-expanded-edition-our-exclusive-review/) -- very lovely explanation of the new and different cues!

Thank you @Jay for your message. It makes me happy! :)

I did what I could because I had very little time between writing the book and family life...

A little off topic:
During my research for the book, I discovered that The Spitfire Grill was recorded in December 1995 so depending on how you look at it, this score could be part of the 1995 vintage.
And James Horner's collaborators have very clear memories of Jade. The LLL edition seems to correspond to the music as it appears in the film and not to the recording sessions.