Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

24 minutes ago, eitam said:

Angela's Ashes: the narration needs to go

The regular european release is without narration already. And to my knowledge it is complete already and even contains various cues, that were not used in the film. Sound is good. So, I wouldn't know, how to expand that one.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The regular european release is without narration already. And to my knowledge it is complete already and even contains various cues, that were not used in the film. Sound is good. So, I wouldn't know, how to expand that one.

It's definitely not complete. There's a gorgeous elegiac cue towards the end of the film that is notably absent.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's definitely not complete. There's a gorgeous elegiac cue towards the end of the film that is notably absent.

do you have a clip of that?

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that release. Obviously I bought the wrong one ! Anyway I guess it must be overpriced on the secondary market, a new release would do nicely. 

17 minutes ago, eitam said:

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that release. Obviously I bought the wrong one ! Anyway I guess it must be overpriced on the secondary market, a new release would do nicely. 

It's actually pretty cheap:

https://www.discogs.com/fr/sell/release/6771911?ev=rb

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

I also remember hearing a short solo guitar rendition of the main theme. - perhaps near the end? That last time I saw it was when it was released, but as I play guitar, that little rendition grabbed my attention.

I think I've heard the odd clip of Angela's Ashes with narration at some point in the past and I'd love to know whose idea that was. If I buy a score, I expect music and nothing else added to it. End of story.

Given that the European release is normal (and wherever my used copy came from would've been Europe somewhere), I never knew about the issue until relatively recently 

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

There’s five unreleased cues from the film in the GEMA database:

Prologue

The River Shannon

Job Hunting - Version 1

Grandma's Funeral - Version 2

Thank You, St. Francis - Alt

I'd obviously love those to be Star Wars or Indy, but I can't imagine he'd even be allowed to say if it was. 

I’d love to hear an expansion of Angela’s Ashes without narration at some point, but I’ve come around to what they did with the album.  At this point in my life, I’m not too bothered by well-recorded narration (ie clearly done in studio) that fits with the music.  The only stuff that bugs me is something like Halloween: 20th Anniversary which has hissy film stem dialogue tracks and sound effects.

Anyway, thinking:

Amistad

Jurassic Park (complete)

SpaceCamp

Presumed Innocent

E.T. (Reissue)

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The only stuff that bugs me is something like Halloween: 20th Anniversary which has hissy film stem dialogue tracks and sound effects.

This is the one album that does that that I actually enjoy listening to. 

The only once I am interested in that are not Star Wars or Indiana Jones are Hook, The Terminal and Tintin. But only two are possible at the moment. 

I am more interested in the reissues like Jaws, E.T, Jurassic Park 

In all seriousness, if this number only counts archival releases, I'm fairly confident they're all expansions of some kind, unfortunately. I've lost most hope of a premiere release of something these days, but nothing would delight me more to be wrong on that account.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

In all seriousness, if this number only counts archival releases, I'm fairly confident they're all expansions of some kind, unfortunately. I've lost most hope of a premiere release of something these days, but nothing would delight me more to be wrong on that account.

It's entirely possible there's still unreleased scores amongst the 5... or maybe they're in the works for down the track.

Those older scores are simply more problematic because the elements aren't handy and score ownership is more complex (due to various mergers or bankruptcies in the decades since).

We're also yet to see if Mike's idea to convince JW about Sugarland has come to fruition. He's probably the only person who can change his mind on the subject, so we'll have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Just watched WAGON TRAIN ep. which had a nice JW SCORE

I'd venture to speculate that if Last Crusade and Revenge of the Sith came out I'd struggle to think of any other JW that I'd like except The Terminal, and that's a testament to MM's work.

My lack of interest in earlier work isn't just Williams btw, that applies to everyone.

Absolutely agreed it deserves it, but everything we have ever heard is that the original master tapes - or any kind of tapes at all - cannot be found

The 2012 LLL set was sourced from the finished album master

Hook, Hook, Hook...

:banghead:

On 01/05/2022 at 12:11 PM, King Mark said:

that was one of the worst ost decisions of all times

Along with the dialogue and SFX releases of Apollo 13!

I hate this news because now I'm hyped thinking in all the great expanded stuff they could release... And I don't want to get hurt. So, no, I'm not expecting anything remarkable or memorable just some music where Williams is credited in someway.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is the narration on the OST?

Personally, I love both film, and score.

Yes. On the OST the intro is with the narration. That is nice as it is, but would have been great to have it without the narration as well.

My hopes would be expanded Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Amistad, JFK, Tintin 

Also I saw another comment saying JW vetoed Star Wars is that true? And if so why? 

9 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Also I saw another comment saying JW vetoed Star Wars is that true? And if so why? 

I think you must have read something wrong, the only titles we know he's ever vetoed are Sugarland Express, Rare Breed, and Story of a Woman

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28400-intrada-found-the-original-elements-for-rare-breed-and-story-of-a-woman/

So heres a question does anyone else ever get frustrated with scores that get the expanded / complete releases vs. the ones that do not. Like for me personally most of my favorite scores never get the complete releases. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So heres a question does anyone else ever get frustrated with scores that get the expanded / complete releases vs. the ones that do not. Like for me personally most of my favorite scores never get the complete releases. 

This is basically our life.

Most of my favorite scores have gotten the expanded treatment, tbh.  One of the plus sides of primarily being a fan of two commercially viable composers, tbh - Williams and Elfman.  Sometimes I prefer the OST, sometimes I prefer the expansion, but I’m always happy to have the option.

19 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I will say that even though some releases aren't for me, I am happy when JW(or any composer for that matter)expansions happen because every release has been on someone's wish list for a very long time. That's how I see it.

1 hour ago, Michael G. said:

This is basically our life.

Until 2015. From there on, there was a wave of favourite scores of mine getting wonderful deluxe treatment: Starting with A.I. - Jurassic Park - Dracula - Harry Potter - Minority Report - War of the Worlds - and it doesn't stop any more.

I'm on board for any Williams expansion, but I do miss the days when I could open the main JWFan page and read to my surprise and wonder about obscure titles like Penelope, None but the Brave or How to Steal a Million being released. I fear those days are long gone.

19 hours ago, Andy said:

Throw in the lush main theme and an awesome Williams scherzo, and Jane Eyre becomes the hidden gem of his career.   Yeah, I adore that one. 

I agree with almost everything you said, but I wouldn't call it a *hidden* gem. I was aware of its status as one of Williams's most notable masterpieces even before I heard it, and I think I've had it on CD for over 20 years now. It's only unknown to the general "John Williams is that Star Wars guy, right?" crowd.

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I always wished to be able to listen to the Prelude of Watership Down without the narration. But probably except me nobody cares about that score.

I'm not too familiar with Angela Morley's portion of the score, but I've always really wanted that opening without the narration. I even tried multiple times to remove it... to varying results (none that were good :P)

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Many scores that I'm interested in have gotten expansions, but probably a good 50% of the scores I really like are for films/scores that literally no one else gives a crap about, or even know exist, meaning they probably won't happen. Just as a random example, John Debney's scores for The Scorpion King and Zathura.