Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

I will say I have gotten a lot of incredible scores and some of my favorites expanded, but there are just a lot I love like the remaining Star Wars scores, and most by Hans Zimmer and Michael Giacchino and James Newton Howard that don't have expanded albums yet that I would so love to have expanded releases for. 

I will undoubtedly pick up whatever is released, but I can’t help but feel that this slate of 5 new releases might be underwhelming… If it’s any of the following, I’ll pick them up more out of a perverted sense of obligation than anything else:

• Amistad
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal
  • Angela’s Ashes
  • JFK
  • Nixon
  • Born On The Fourth Of July
  • The Patriot

If it’s any of these, I’ll pick them up gladly:

• Seven Years In Tibet
  • Valley Of The Dolls 
  • The Reivers
  • Cinderella Liberty
  • Story Of A Woman
  • How To Steal A Million

On the whole, I’d really love some “older” scores (pre Star Wars) to be released.

But The Witches Of Eastwick gets an honorary mention from me as well, hoping it’ll be expanded, even though I understand it’s unlikely.

I'd love to know why JFK has been held up for so many years. Stuck in approvals for (at least) 6 years seems kinda absurd.

At some stage you'd have to assume the memo got lost, was never received, or whoever needs to sign it off isn't going to respond, right?

Surely it's not an issue with Costner or his likeness as LLL have done several expansions with his approval. 

Mmmmm.

Following on 7/19 are ... along with Oliver Stone’s JFK Revisited: The Complete Collection on Blu-ray (which includes the documentaries JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass and JFK: Destiny Betrayed—a signed poster is also available exclusively through the Shout! website)...

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/050222-1300

My personal hope's would be Hook, Witches of Eastwick, JFK, CMIYC and SpaceCamp.

But honestly I'll buy any expansion, so whatever gets released is a win in my book.

On 04/05/2022 at 6:04 PM, crumbs said:

I'd love to know why JFK has been held up for so many years. Stuck in approvals for (at least) 6 years seems kinda absurd.

At some stage you'd have to assume the memo got lost, was never received, or whoever needs to sign it off isn't going to respond, right?

Surely it's not an issue with Costner or his likeness as LLL have done several expansions with his approval. 

Maybe Stone is holding the release hostage out of resentment for Williams turning down World Trade Center!

On 29/04/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jay said:

Mike said that reissues were coming, AND ALSO 5 new expansions/premieres on top of that

In terms of JW scores that already got the MM treatment but are now OOP, the list is:

1966 - How To Steal A Million (2008 Intrada)

1969 - Goodbye, Mr. Chips (2006 FSM)

1972 - The Cowboys (2018 Varese)

1975 - Jaws (2015 Intrada)

1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (2017 La-La Land)

1977 - Black Sunday (2010 FSM)

1976 - Family Plot (2010 Varese)

1978 - Midway (2011 Varese)

1978 - Jaws 2 (2015 Intrada)

1978 - The Fury (2013 La-La Land)

1978 - Dracula (2018 Varese)

1979 - 1941 (2011/2015 La-La Land)

1982 - E.T. (2017 La-La Land)

1982 - Monsignor (2019 Intrada)

1984 - The River (2020 Intrada)

1990 - Stanley & Iris (2017 Varese)

1992 - Home Alone 2 (2012 La-La Land)

1993 - Jurassic Park (2016 La-La Land)

1997 - Rosewood (2013 La-La Land)

1997 - The Lost World (2016  La-La Land)

That's more than I was expecting, wow!

All of those scores deserve to be in print again for new fans to discover, IMO!

He was in the "special thanks" for LLL's Jane Eyre, so presumably Mike had some involvement there too:

JaneEyre-LaLaLand2.jpg

On 30/04/2022 at 10:13 AM, Thor said:

5. STORIA DI UNA DONNA

After years of lobbying, Mike has finally convinced Williams to release it. Williams has also prepared a wonderful curated selection at 50 minutes. Artwork by Jim Titus, liner notes by myself.

Uh... isn't the complete score under 50 minutes, Thor? Are you saying you want a complete score program, plus EXTRAS? :o 

Yavar

Yeah really!  That IS impressive.  55 expansions?  Meaning there were OSTs that were released with expanded material?  That’s sort of amazing. 

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

With SpaceCamp, we now have 55 Williams scores fully expanded out of 108 feature films he scored. That's more than half, we just walked past the 50% mark!

Somewhere in Norway,a Norse God weeps...😣

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

And scores that have never been (legally) released at all

1. Daddy-O
  2. I Passed For White
  3. Because They're Young
  4. The Secret Ways
  5. Gidget Goes To Rome
  6. The Killers
  7. The Rare Breed
  8. The Plainsman
  9. Daddy’s Gone A-Hunting
  10. The Sugarland Express

Story of a Woman?

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Story of a Woman?

Yavar

See @Thor about that one.

HEIDI was made for, and shown on,  television, therefore it's 108 :)

The SE: CE3K had newly composed music, so it's 109 :)

AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY was shown once, in public, on December 31st, 1999, so it's 110 :)

The SE: ROTJ had newly composed music, so it's 111 :)

The only post-2011, non-Matessino-produced specialty label Williams titles are

1. 2012-03-27 Hook (La-La Land)
  2. 2012-09-05 The Long Goodbye (Quartet)
  3. 2013-05-08 The Missouri Breaks (Kritzerland)
  4. 2013-05-09 Heidi (Quartet)
  5. 2013-10-15 Fitzwilly (Music Box Records)
  6. 2015-12-11 Tom Sawyer (Quartet)

13 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Ah ha!  So there's another expanded edition of a soundtrack coming very soon then!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Wonder how long we'll have to wait for the next expansion... great news regardless! 

Hmm... The wording would indicate something imminent. John Powell announced there would be a DE coming out next week. That might mean something from Varese... Perhaps Presumed Innocent? 🤔

In any case, I am hoping Amistad comes out this year. In fact I bet it will.

Karol

Presumed Innoncent would be great. I'm sure Varèse, like all the other speciality label is really willing to release a JW expansion for the 90th anniversary, Presumed Innocent is the simpler to release for them, like Tom Sawyer and Heidi are for Quartet.

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

In any case, I am hoping Amistad comes out this year. In fact I bet it will.

It would be a missed opportunity considering this year marks the 25th anniversary of the film. As part of the celebration of the Maestro’s 90th year, the stars are aligned perfectly for it. The same goes for Catch Me If You Can (20th anniversary), Seven Years In Tibet (25th anniversary) and The Witches of Eastwick (35th anniversary). I’m hopeful for Star Wars, but I would prefer a box set containing all nine scores, so that is out.

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

PRESUMED INNOCENT, really? It's a mono-thematic score and already stretches patience at 44 minutes (I mean, I love the score for what it is, but if anything I would like it 10 minutes shorter). I often want to understand the logic of C&C fans, but sometimes this understanding falls short. ;) 

I like the repetitive aspect of that score but I also like watching monochromes for hours so that's perhaps just me ;)