Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

1 hour ago, Thor said:

PRESUMED INNOCENT, really? It's a mono-thematic score and already stretches patience at 44 minutes (I mean, I love the score for what it is, but if anything I would like it 10 minutes shorter).

The OST is actually 6 minutes longer than the score in the film, so it’s an open question if there’s even any additional material to add at all.

So just because a score's monothematic, it can't be engaging? Maybe it's his assembly or your attention span that sucks.

23 minutes ago, Holko said:

So just because a score's monothematic, it can't be engaging?

Sure, I find PRESUMED INNOCENT engaging (both in and out of movie). But as I said -- it already stretches patience at 44 minutes. Besides, I don't believe there's a lot of music left off, for those who care about such things.

It is not just about being monothematic. Goldsmith's Hour of the Gun is a monothematic score and - hell - what a listening experience! But Presumed Innocent does not provide much variation or development in of the theme.

Anyway, I think, Goldsmith is more the master when it comes to monothematic scores. 

We actually have an interesting topic here -- one's favourite mono-thematic score. They can be great, especially in context. On album, it requires something extra.

Of course, it has nothing to do with SPACECAMP whatsoever.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

It is not just about being monothematic. Goldsmith's Hour of the Gun is a monothematic score and - hell - what a listening experience! But Presumed Innocent does not provide much variation or development in of the theme.

Anyway, I think, Goldsmith is more the master when it comes to monothematic scores. 

Yes!

I recently relistened to the TADLOW.and was thinking the same thing.

Last I looked, it's only $10!

I wonder if the next expansion is from LLL in June. From memory that's the month Always released last year (along with the AI reissue) and their current sale will be over by then. Maybe the sale was timed to get some extra funds through the door for a big new pressing.

Would love Hook or Amistad but the labels have been unpredictable the last few years... maybe it'll be something totally unexpected :wub:

Could Jurassic Park and The Lost World be reissued as individual releases? 25th anniversary for the latter and obviously the new film (also releasing next month) has the legacy characters all returning. Perfect opportunity!

12 hours ago, Thor said:

PRESUMED INNOCENT, really? It's a mono-thematic score and already stretches patience at 44 minutes (I mean, I love the score for what it is, but if anything I would like it 10 minutes shorter). I often want to understand the logic of C&C fans, but sometimes this understanding falls short. ;) 

No worries, Thor. There's C&C fans that don't need an expansion of this score at all, although they love it.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Good thing I never got into soundtracks for archeological reasons, then.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Holko said:

"Don't imply that we only care about complete releases because of an impersonal academic completionism."

Thor's not " implying" anything.
He (and I) is flat out stating it!😅😙😁

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is that your favourite JG western score?

To be honest, I am not familiar with his western scores. But I like this one a lot. Any recommendations?

11 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

That's only half-true, in the sense that Goldsmith approached movies generally as having one main idea and surrounding, flexible motifs, rhythms or textural ideas, to count all these as 'mono-thematic' makes it appear as if leitmotif-driven scores are anything but an anomaly. In truth, most scores are like this (not necessarily the fan favourites, though).

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

That's only half-true, in the sense that Goldsmith approached movies generally as having one main idea and surrounding, flexible motifs, rhythms or textural ideas, to count all these as 'mono-thematic' makes it appear as if leitmotif-driven scores are anything but an anomaly. In truth, most scores are like this (not necessarily the fan favourites, though).

This topic started with the mentioning Presumed Innocent and Thor and Holko called it a monothematic score, I guess in the manner that you just described. And that is what applies to many Goldsmith scores. That's what I said. We can argue If monothematic is the right term for 'one main idea surrounded by flexible motifs'. But that didn't start with my statement, you quoted.

Why does a lot of people seem to want a Hook release? Is it because the older release isn't good enough? Or just too expensive to buy now on the market? I'm hoping for an expanded release that hasn't been done yet. 

1??

3 hours ago, publicist said:

I know, but it's a general sentiment here that scores like 'Hook' or, say, Horner's animation scores are a film music norm, which they aren't. We can be thankful for that small moment in time when a music lover like Spielberg took over, but in general, scores don't function like that.

That 'Presumed Innocent' is a rather boring one-note score is less the result of it having only one theme but the movie being a low-key courtroom thriller. And its makers should be thankful that Williams gave it a strong thematical imprint (the flirring piano motif plus the strong, fateful theme following it), though like with many smaller scores of his that also suffer from being merely well-dressed window displays (Accidental Tourist, Stanley & Iris come to mind), i always got the feeling he lost either interest or ability in small ensemble writing he did so well in the 70's (this changed much later when he suddenly did all those Yo-Yo Ma etc. things). 

I remember watching the movie in the theater and apart from watching Harrison Ford act and listening to the music there wasn't much interesting in the movie.

25 minutes ago, Antonb said:

excuse my stupidity, what's wrong with it?

Everything? :lol:

Missing lots of music that was recorded but unused. Missing music that was recorded and used in the film. Using wrong takes. Wrong speeds. Lazily using pre-edited worse sounding film stems for many cues instead of properly transferring all elements.

17 minutes ago, Holko said:

Everything? :lol:

Missing lots of music that was recorded but unused. Missing music that was recorded and used in the film. Using wrong takes. Wrong speeds. Lazily using pre-edited worse sounding film stems for many cues instead of properly transferring all elements.

oh right I understand now, cheers.

46 minutes ago, Antonb said:

Here's the list :

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34006-hook-30th-anniversary-double-vinyl-from-mondo-records-2021/&do=findComment&comment=1828547

Give it to me straight, Doc…

Can I take any hope whatsoever from the fact that Space Camp’s latest release required the involvement of Sony and that’s what would be needed for a proper release of Hook?

Please say it could be so…

Maybe Sony was holding up both releases, and whoever's in charge approved them both at the same time? We can dream... 

Speaking of Sony, I wonder if they could facilitate a Memoirs of a Geisha expansion by paying the reuse fees? 

5 hours ago, Antonb said:

You're not the stupid one...😉

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I remember watching the movie in the theater and apart from watching Harrison Ford act and listening to the music there wasn't much interesting in the movie.

Say what!?

Greta did a.nude scene.

I recorded it off laser disc!😍

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Maybe Sony was holding up both releases, and whoever's in charge approved them both at the same time? We can dream... 

I think we still didn't get those 2 Sony releases that "made it through" that block a couple years ago that already got lifted since then?

We will probably have another batch announcement on June 1st from LLL I Suppose? There just might be another one or two around the corner from them . I wonder if it will be SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET or AMISTAD ?