Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

He also teased that he has a very big non-Williams soundtrack project coming soon!

Really hope it's a remastered of Star Trek III

Still it's really great to hear that he's always busy, he's doing such a great work

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Right now I'm looking at 2 for the end of the year

And then some of these are larger more ambitious things

There's at least 3 where the mastering is done already

2abriv.jpg

The Big Non Williams title announcement could nearly crash this website and others for sure!! It will be as if the seas have parted..... 

I have a very good guess. But I won't say it. 

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

According to my calculations, there are still 3 titles to be announced.

Hey man!😠

That's Jay's job!😜

1 hour ago, Amer said:

The Big Non Williams title announcement could nearly crash this website and others for sure!! It will be as if the seas have parted..... 

Tease!😡

1 hour ago, Amer said:

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS DEFINTELY needs expanding.

Plus a fresh remaster.

😎

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Blade Runner confirmed!

Why should Blade Runner be such a revelation, it was released a million times now, even with additional material by its composer (that was preferable to some of the film stuff). With Vangelis' passing it would gain a certain poignance, but this of course wouldn't have been a factor when hey started to work on it.

So if I'm understanding correctly, we've now had 2 releases (Spacecamp and Presumed Innocent), 3 more expansions are mastered and awaiting various approvals, and Mike's currently working on two more albums which are earmarked for later this year (presumably Black Friday). 

So potentially 7 releases all up this year, if approvals go to plan? And assuming they don't hold a few titles back to avoid flooding the market too quickly. 

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

So if I'm understanding correctly, we've now had 2 releases (Spacecamp and Presumed Innocent), 3 more expansions are mastered and awaiting various approvals, and Mike's currently working on two more albums which are earmarked for later this year (presumably Black Friday). 

So potentially 7 releases all up this year, if approvals go to plan? And assuming they don't hold a few titles back to avoid flooding the market too quickly. 

You didn't understand correctly. 

The original 5 mentioned last time are SpaceCamp, Presumed Innocent, and 3 more that are already mastered. 2 of those three he is currently focusing on getting out by the end of the year. He didn't say anything about a release window for the third. 

Like I said, Jay can't name the 3 titles yet to be announced, but he KNOWS them... but he's not Mike Matessino, I don't want to fuel the rumors!

These title will probably span over these most likely labels like LLL, Intrada and Quartet. 

But let's enjoy the current releases till those start arriving. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You didn't understand correctly. 

Well it was rather ambiguous. Mike specified 3 forthcoming releases were mastered, then also stated he was working on 2 releases for later in the year.

He didn't specify if those 2 releases were in addition to the 3 mastered scores, or if they were from the batch of 3.

I don't know what to tell you... It was clear to me what he meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9 hours ago, publicist said:

Why should Blade Runner be such a revelation, it was released a million times now, even with additional material by its composer (that was preferable to some of the film stuff). With Vangelis' passing it would gain a certain poignance, but this of course wouldn't have been a factor when hey started to work on it.

I made my comment somewhat in jest, but there are still significant set pieces from that film that have never been released, even on bootlegs (and those bootlegs are probably the "million" releases that you're alluding to; the score has only been officially released twice). So that is why I hope that Mike's working on it.

In all probability, the non-Williams title might be something more popular, like Avatar, the Hobbit trilogy or the first few Pirates Of The Caribbean scores. Hell, I'd also be glad if it turned out to be Terminator 2

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know what to tell you... It was clear to me what he meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know what to tell you. The comments in the podcast were clearly ambiguous and could be interpreted either way.

It's a bit silly to tell other people they "didn't understand correctly" when you have inside information about what's in the pipeline.

19 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

In all probability, the non-Williams title might be something more popular, like Avatar, the Hobbit trilogy or the first few Pirates Of The Caribbean scores. Hell, I'd also be glad if it turned out to be Terminator 2

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that Doug or Roger commented that they had looked into doing a 'deluxe' Avatar and the computer said no regarding an arrangement for the fees.

I reckon 'big' means something old and famous.

14 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

For Avatar Roger had this to say over on the FSM boards back in 2017 -

In fact it was on our slate as a super expanded edition and then we discovered that the film is too recent to qualify for the historic new use rate from the AFM, so it is on hold until the rate changes. We weren't able to get the union to make an exception on this title.

For the POTC Sequels and Hobbit film's, they'd be past the 2005 cut off, so it's likely they won't get expanded releases if they were recorded with AFM musicians. 

Terminator 2 from what I've heard (and take all of this with a grain of salt), the original tape's are gone/lost/missing, but apparently this YouTuber bought a synthesiser that had been owned by Brad Fiedel and found some of the T2 tracks still programmed in and recreated them.

Then again exceptions can be made when it comes to the reuse fee's for expansions (Rogue One for example) and things thought lost have been found, so who knows maybe those scores could be coming. Would love the Pirates scores to get expansions so I can upgrade from the session leaks, and an official T2 expansion would be welcome over a complete fan recreation.

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

For the POTC Sequels and Hobbit film's, they'd be past the 2005 cut off, so it's likely they won't get expanded releases if they were recorded with AFM musicians. 

Well, given that Avatar and the PotC sequels are out there anyway, it's the AFM's loss if they don't want to adjust their nonsensical policies to make some money for themselves.

7 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

For Avatar Roger had this to say over on the FSM boards back in 2017 -

Terminator 2 from what I've heard (and take all of this with a grain of salt), the original tape's are gone/lost/missing, but apparently this YouTuber bought a synthesiser that had been owned by Brad Fiedel and found some of the T2 tracks still programmed in and recreated them.

Then again exceptions can be made when it comes to the reuse fee's for expansions (Rogue One for example) and things thought lost have been found, so who knows maybe those scores could be coming. Would love the Pirates scores to get expansions so I can upgrade from the session leaks, and an official T2 expansion would be welcome over a complete fan recreation.

Is there more info regarding the T2 status? I’d love to read more about it, the score is awesome!

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Is there more info regarding the T2 status? I’d love to read more about it, the score is awesome!

I've always rejected the claim that the elements were lost, since a lot of the unreleased music shows up on the features of the Special Edition LD and the menus of the Extreme DVD, and both of those releases were produced by a documentarian named Van Ling, so logically it stands to reason that he may have a backup copy of the sessions, or at the very least a copy of the music stems for the finished film. However, the recreation is pretty close to the original

Only listened today, so new to the debate. Does MM mean that other than those two he hopes to finish, no other JW is coming? No previously held up title will come through until the end of the year? And I hope his big non-JW title is HP4!

No, at the beginning of that he says "several" are in the works, which is him telling us that lots more beyond the five in question are, well, in the works.

He then says there are 3 already mastered beyond SpaceCamp and Presumed Innocent, so being already mastered they are the most likely to come out next.  He then indicates 2 of those 3 he is hoping to have out by the end of this year, but doesn't give a window for the 3rd.

In some podcast years ago, he indicated its a goal of his to work on every single score JW ever composed, so there are always plenty of titles in various stages of production.  A lot of these projects take many years to complete from getting the license to it going on sale.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Having someone that has an ongoing and trusted relationship with JW's team and is actively advocating for these releases is the best situation we could hope for.

Yes!  And Jamie Richardson being always available to help out is an immense help as well.  I hope Maurizio gets to interview him for The Legacy of JW some day.

Most of the delays these titles face is all administrative crap from the film studio or music label - JW's team is very supportive and never really a bottleneck - outside of the obvious cases of him specifically vetoing Sugarland or Rare Breed or whatever.  But even then, you have to feel like MM's continuing work through his entire catalog means he'll eventually come around on those too!

There's never been any particular reason given why he's vetoed certain scores, right? It's odd that he doesn't want Sugarland Express out there.