Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Apart from Hook are there any other JW scores that could potentially be one of those Sony titles?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32706-john-williams-scores-by-music-label/

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Seriously?! No Hook, again?! And then people are surprised we complain...

The approval etc. people who it should be directed at don't see any of it.

51 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Seriously?! No Hook, again?! And then people are surprised we complain...

Aside from a usual reminder that LLL may have more pressing expansions to work on other than revisiting a prior one, there's also the aspect of people wanting all the demos/songs (etc) from this score which may have legal issues behind them.

What if they do indeed have a new edition in the works but behind the scenes wrangling is taking ages? They could do a new edition now to satisfy the hordes but then leave all that off and everyone complains that it's not 150% complete.

Just now, QuartalHarmony said:

With apologies for probably having missed something, how do we suddenly know for certain it's not Hook?

10 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

No Hook re-expansion this year :crymore:

Untitled.png

Seriously, if Disney let Criterion do Wall-E, I’m holding out a fool’s hope that they’ll let LLL handle Star Wars expansions. 

Although Jay seems to know that this is not the case, but just let me pretend for a few more hours. :(

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The label releasing Star Wars expansions really doesn't matter.  What matters is the producer who oversees the music restoration, mixing, editing, sequencing, and mastering.

Mike Matessino will be the guy who will do that one day, and Disney can hire him to do it just like LLL or any other label can

I know Mike Matessino will be their guy, and obviously rightly so, I just think LLL now has a minuscule chance, unlike ever before.

Does Disney Records have a regular release schedule/newsletter as well, or do they just just release things whenever they’re ready?

There's no patterns to anything Disney Records does

But you can check this site whenever you want to see their newest stuff

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/albums?orderBy=original_release_date&orderDest=desc

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Thanks, @Jay. I wasn’t aware who Bruce Marshall was. Rescind my JWFan membership immediately.

The important part of that screen shot is what the official LLL page posted as a response, not the identity of the fan that they were responding to.

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Out of interest, what forum was @Groovygoth666 quoting that exchange from?

Mark

That's not a forum, that's Facebook.  The post even contains a direct link to the post in question - That's why "year" is underlined.

4 hours ago, Gibster said:

As long as it stays nice I would be down. They might really not know that people want this stuff

Oh of course! Never bite the hand that feeds you.

4 hours ago, Brando said:

Oh of course! Never bite the hand that feeds you.

But the hand refuses to even dripfeed us! And even when it does it's moldy and rotten (Hunchback Legacy)

• 2 weeks later...

So any idea when the next release is going to be announced?

I am desperately waiting for it so I can finally place an order to catch up  other "recent" releases as well (fiddler on the roof, Jurassic park, space camp, presumed innocent) and save on shipping costs...

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

So any idea when the next release is going to be announced?

I think it's safe to assume it's part of next week's Lalaland's Black Friday releases to be announced 9 pm PST (California) November 24.

I see an unusual lack of interest for this potential upcoming announcement compared to previous similar occasions: is it because nobody expects anything at all? Is it because you all know what is coming this time and it doesn't deserve to much attention? 

Calm before the storm probably.

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

It's his 90th birthday year. So they better have a great announcement coming!!

That depends on what 'great' means to different people. Some here will see anything less than Hook as a travesty, whereas I'll be happy if it's The Terminal.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Calm before the storm probably.

That depends on what 'great' means to different people. Some here will see anything less than Hook as a travesty, whereas I'll be happy if it's The Terminal.

Yes it depends. A Hook re-issue wouldn't be a "new" release, would it?

I'd be happy with something like "The man who loved cat dancing" or so. An Oliver Stone box is not possible because of the differnet labels or did I get that wrong?

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes it depends. A Hook re-issue wouldn't be a "new" release, would it?

I'd be happy with something like "The man who loved cat dancing" or so. An Oliver Stone box is not possible because of the differnet labels or did I get that wrong?

I meant Hook in context of an actual new release, which half the forum is basically demanding by this point.

The only reissue I see as being realistic would be TLW - I actually sort of hope that's the Williams representation because JP3 would be the perfect sister release.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

The CMIYC album is entirely re-recordings IIRC (not that I personally want it - just pointing out).

I guess it's the 20th anniversary after all... but there's really nothing major in the film that isn't represented somewhere on the OST. I think it's still debated whether that OST actually used alternate recordings to the film...

Terminal would certainly benefit from a C&C presentation but I don't think there's much unreleased music there either (which is usually the most exciting aspect of expansions, to me).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The Catch Me If You Can album is not a re-recording. It's entirely from the same scoring sessions as what you hear in the film.

It's just that he recorded a lot of revised openings/endings for the album that got edited onto the cues. 

Ah ok, it was this old article that I was remembering: https://www.jwfan.com/?p=3567