Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

32 minutes ago, Holko said:

I'd put Obi-Wan in new compositions rather than new album, seeing as he only composed that one piece. 

I already did so, you replied before my edit!

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah. And digital-only reissues don't count. 

There are no digital-only reissues anywhere in my list

4 hours ago, blondheim said:

There were plenty of releases, just nothing on the level of a Harry Potter box set or something like that. That’s all. I wasn’t trying to sound ungrateful for what we did receive. I just instinctively felt going into this year that there would be a high profile release like that and then there wasn’t.

Well you did get the Fanfare for Solo Trumpet To Celebrate the Reopening of David Geffen Hall.

59 minutes ago, Brando said:

And the reissues don’t count towards the 5 correct?

Right, it’s been confirmed Jurassic Park, E.T., and Close Encounters didn’t count towards 2022’s total.

On 14/01/2023 at 4:01 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

You make it sound like if there was an illegal way of listening to that, right now…

which is not true, right?????? 😱

Figure of speech

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

We have to be getting a rerelease of The Lost World this year, right?  Right?

I would think so, considering the box set is OOP and they re-released the first one separately. I surely hope so, for separate but companion album art, as well as maybe a few extra goodies.

Other than percussion-only tracks (and maybe a recreation of the film version of Ripples) I'm not sure what else you could add to a standalone TLW release? The OST won't fit without going to 3CDs... I guess Mike could recreate and include any OST tracks that combined multiple cues, just to make it easier for people to recreate the OST assembly if they desire.

Percussion-only tracks would make a reissue an instant purchase for me though. I've wanted those ever since hearing the recordings on the speakers at Universal Studios... but somehow I doubt Williams would allow them.

I guess it's still a worthwhile exercise to make the music available for fans who missed the 4CD set.

A straight reissue I think is the most ideal way to do it.

Assuming Williams doesn't want percussion-only versions out there (which do you most value btw... Williams' approval, or more music?) anything else minor they could change/add would alter the nature of the product away from a reissue aimed at those who missed the box, to being the latest 'must have' for collectors.

I was initially a bit disappointed that Ripples wasn't what we heard in the film, but you let go of it over time. The thing is, though, that the two film versions on JP were an alternate take and 'fixing' the OST's incorrect mix. At no point were either veering away from Williams' composition, whereas Ripples very much does. That's the only difference, but is it the line that an album producer won't cross?

If they re-do The Lost World they should reconsider the volume of some tracks. Rescuing Sarah and Ripples always had the brass section mixed in too low which made them sound to quiet in general, especially if you compare them with The Hunt.

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

I guess it's still a worthwhile exercise to make the music available for fans who missed the 4CD set.

Or for fans who sold the set when the first score got reissued… :P

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Brando said:

And the reissues didn't count toward the 5 correct?

Correct 

1 hour ago, Brando said:

I'm hoping they reissue TLW.

Me too 

10 hours ago, Brando said:

I'm hoping they reissue TLW.

Yes, this title needs to be in print again!

Very very curious what Mike would be able to add on a reissue that is not on the 2016 set though.

Of course he can always rebuild the OST, but that would probably make the new release a 3-CD set. To me the OST is not very interesting to include as it doesn't contain any alternate performance/mix anyway.

One great thing would of course be percussion-only tracks, but would JW approve that?

Lately I've been skipping 1 release so I can order 2 titles together , the new one and the previous one Sabrina in this case

44 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Plus, if they do anything other than a direct, bit-for-bit reissue, then a bunch of you guys will feel compelled to buy it regardless of anything Mike might find. Would you really want that OCD pressure? Aside from having to get used to the intended version of Ripples, the set's fine by me.

No OCD pressure, I wouldn't really mind spending some money again on a slightly improved release of this amazing score.

44 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

And for probably the 100th time, we need JPIII as a higher priority. It may not be Williams but it's still an important part of the Jurassic canon.

Agreed!

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got a spare copy I might be willing to sell.

eyes emoji?

50 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Plus, if they do anything other than a direct, bit-for-bit reissue, then a bunch of you guys will feel compelled to buy it regardless of anything Mike might find. Would you really want that OCD pressure? Aside from having to get used to the intended version of Ripples, the set's fine by me.

I don't understand the point of putting the exact same music twice

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've got a spare copy I might be willing to sell.

Thanks but I already have a copy from a friend, but I'd like a standalone copy with its own artwork! And if this does happen I hope Mike finally reveals what 'Wompi's Wrench' means since he told me a little while ago he knew what it was but it wasn't quite ready to be revealed yet, as well as a film edit of Ripples or these percussion bits people keep mentioning.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

I don't understand the point of putting the exact same music twice

You mean the OST? I agree on this one as there's nothing very unique to the album, but Williams no doubt prefers his assembly so if offered the chance he'd probably approve a new set with it included.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

Apart from the obvious grails (SW, IJ, Hook), I still hope for The Patriot. It's criminally underrated. 

I was going through old issues of FSM a while back and recall now that they were critical of the score. Something about the score being full of fake emotion or something. Harrumph! 😤

Didn't Intrada say they had a "couple" JW releases in the pipeline? I wonder if one will be released this year. It's about time. 

8 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I was going through old issues of FSM a while back and recall now that they were critical of the score. Something about the score being full of fake emotion or something. Harrumph! 😤

The heroic theme never worked for me, it's too simple and on-the-nose.