Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

On 21/7/2022 at 8:18 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Not necessarily. Mike said (2 years ago?) that everyone involved wants them to happen (which would include WDR obviously). John was really the only one holding them up, at least until relatively recently if Mike's comments also include him. Of course it's going to take way more than 2 years, especially if they plan on doing all of the films at once. The 3-film HP boxset alone took several years iirc.

they where not interested and told him no.

7 minutes ago, Gibster said:

I was told they where not interested and told him no.

Well given what Mike himself said, and reiterated very recently, that is not true. Also given that there were expansions for the spinoff films recently, and even older video games now getting releases, that would also seem to disprove whomever told you that.

If they're willing to give John the power to veto music in their own films/shows/games, you better believe he also has the power to make any release he wants to happen, happen.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

The score for Indy 5 should be finished long before it's released. I wonder if that allows Mike enough time to assemble a box set with all 5 scores expanded, to coincide with the release of the 5th film next July?

Williams can still release his standard OST but an expanded version could be exclusive to the box set.

And not that it matters for Disney, but that would probably bypass the AFM reuse fees too (as it would be released at the same time as the OST, not years later). 

See? See? I knew I wasn't the only one. Do it now, get it out of the way, never have to worry about it again. Bada-bing bada-boom.

15 minutes ago, Gibster said:

I was told they where not interested and told him no.

Why would SW be any different than other expansions? 

On 21/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well given what Mike himself said, and reiterated very recently, that is not true. Also given that there were expansions for the spinoff films recently, and even older video games now getting releases, that would also seem to disprove whomever told you that.

If they're willing to give John the power to veto music in their own films/shows/games, you better believe he also has the power to make any release he wants to happen, happen.

Mike has been dying to do the star wars complete scores. If it’s correct it just shows the incompetence at LF

It may be a good idea to show Lucasfilm that we want it.

I love the way you think, but I imagine Disney will want us to double dip on Indy 5 by releasing the OST first.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

The score for Indy 5 should be finished long before it's released. I wonder if that allows Mike enough time to assemble a box set with all 5 scores expanded, to coincide with the release of the 5th film next July?

Williams can still release his standard OST but an expanded version could be exclusive to the box set.

And not that it matters for Disney, but that would probably bypass the AFM reuse fees too (as it would be released at the same time as the OST, not years later). 

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I love the way you think, but I imagine Disney will want us to double dip on Indy 5 by releasing the OST first.

I mean, they released shorter and expanded versions of Avengers 3 and 4 at the same time, so they clearly aren’t opposed to that kind of thing in principle.

The only person likely opposed to an Indy 5 expansion at the same time as the Indy 5 OST is John Williams.

It would take an almighty pitch from Mike to make it happen... but wouldn't it be fitting if John commemorated his final film score (for the final Indiana Jones film no less) by allowing two versions of his score (OST and Expanded) released in tandem for the first time ever, as a symbolic tip of the hat to fans?

IndianaJones_Tip_of_the_hat.gif

It would bring Mike's entire restoration project full circle; from John's reluctance in decades past to closing his career with an expansion released alongside his curated soundtrack.

And Indy 5 presents a rare opportunity: unlike the usual post-production crush where scoring goes down to the wire, ~9 months will pass between the end of recording sessions and Indy 5's release, leaving ample time to assemble an expanded album.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Mike said (2 years ago?) that everyone involved wants them to happen (which would include WDR obviously). John was really the only one holding them up, at least until relatively recently if Mike's comments also include him.

That's substantially not true. Mike hasn't said anything like that to my knowledge, certainly not in any episode of TLOJW podcast where he was guest.

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

That's substantially not true. Mike hasn't said anything like that to my knowledge, certainly not in any episode of TLOJW podcast where he was guest.

The first part is what he said, as yes he has said it, a few times. I can't remember where he mentioned having talks with Disney, etc. but I'm sure @Jay or someone will remember (and probably have the direct quote). Note that "John holding them back" was not part of any Matessino quote, that is my own assumption.

Someone else also posted a screenshot of a Facebook PM where is reiterated the same sentiment.

All I remember Mike ever saying about the Star Wars scores is that he'd love to work on them (see this interview from 2015), and that everybody knows they will get done eventually.

I do not recall him ever mentioning John's thoughts on the matter, nor ever name-dropping Disney Records outside of them "hitting the reset button" by re-issuing the OST albums in this interview from 2017

In the London talk in 2018, someone asked about Star Wars and he basically just said "what do you think?"

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I do not recall him ever mentioning John's thouhgts on the matter, nor ever name-dropping Disney Records outside of them "hitting the reset button" by re-issuing the OST albums in this interview 4 1/2 years ago

That is exactly what I meant, yes. I know he never namedropped anyone specifically, but by "everyone" I think it's clear he meant Disney Records / Lucasfilm / John himself. I mean, who else would he be referring to?

28 minutes ago, Roll the Bones said:

I always interpreted "everyone involved" as including JW not excluding JW.

I misspoke (mis-typed?) What I meant was that John would have been the only one holding them back, which would be the more likely scenario *if* they were being held back. But yes, I took Mike's quote to also be including John. After all he did say "everybody".

I seem to recall there being a quote (perhaps it was one of those PMs I was thinking of?) where he said something to the effect of "there have been talks" (paraphrasing) and "everybody thinks they should happen". I can't recall the exact quote/s, as that was a couple years ago. But it was after the first time he said the similar quote in 2015.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I seem to recall there being a quote (perhaps it was one of those PMs I was thinking of?) where he said something to the effect of "there have been talks" (paraphrasing) and "everybody thinks they should happen". I can't recall the exact quote/s, as that was a couple years ago. But it was after the first time he said the similar quote in 2015.

Yeah I know what you're talking about. when I heard it I did not assume the fans either. It definitely felt like he was talking about all the major parties involved 

It was on a Legacy of John Williams podcast I think 

found it:

1:36:53 of this episode @Manakin Skywalker is that what you were talking about?  the important words are 'everybody involved'

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/12/11/mike-matessino-podcast-disaster-soundtrack-collection/

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

If everyone wanted it to happen 2 years ago it would have happened already

That’s just straight up false. These things take time to make happen. MV hinted at the Potter box YEARS before it came out.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

It was on a Legacy of John Williams podcast I think 

found it:

1:36:53 of this episode @Manakin Skywalker is that what you were talking about?  the important words are 'everybody involved'

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/12/11/mike-matessino-podcast-disaster-soundtrack-collection/

I believe that was one of them, yes! Kudos for finding it so quickly! :lol:

But TBH I think it is more likely that we get one of the more recent “blockbusters”, Nixon, JFK, The Patriot, Lincoln or maybe even The BFG. If they can get the rights and clear all legal hurdles, that is (which I guess becomes more complicated the more recent the movie).

It seems to me that a larger part of the soundtrack community would be more willing to part with their money for these kind of movies rather than for some obscure films from the 60s and 70s (and yes, I know Yes, Giorgio! is from ‘82, but youknowwhatimean). 

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

But TBH I think it is more likely that we get one of the more recent “blockbusters”, Nixon, JFK, The Patriot, Lincoln or maybe even The BFG. If they can get the rights and clear all legal hurdles, that is (which I guess becomes more complicated the more recent the movie).

I think those do tend to be the bigger sellers. Quartet seems to be carving out a niche with outstanding releases of some of JW’s (plus Goldsmith and others’) earlier scores, like Images and The Long Goodbye. I think they’re the label most likely to tackle Story of a Woman or Cinderella Liberty at this point.

I wonder if Varese might do a Deluxe Edition of The Reivers, seeing as they did release that OST on CD at one point. That would certainly be the perfect companion to The Cowboys as the other score that caught Spielberg’s attention to hire Williams for The Sugarland Express. And hopefully JW’s objections can be overcome at sometime soon to get that score a premiere release…

No doubt the more obscure selections would sell to their niche audience, but I’m not convinced they would sell as well as a better known brand (ie the “blockbusters”), with actors and directors that are still relevant. Its hard to imagine otherwise.

I can see Angela’s Ashes as a serious contender for an expansion as well. The movie might not be as well known today (as aforementioned “blockbusters”), but if I were to market such a release, I’d push it as a “companion to Schindler’s List, a continuation of his mature and emotional writing… yada yada yada.”

Yeah, I have to agree with this. CD or digital, the editing is going to be the same. The release medium doesn't matter.

My main reason being that digital can be fixed in the event of issues, whereas physical CDs have to be repressed. That's not an indication of the quality of the work that goes into them, rather the level of defect at which fans demand repressings.

And my personal reason - I'd like to be able to buy individual tracks/scores.

I can absolutely guarantee that if/when Star Wars receives expansions in the coming years they will also be released digitally, if not exclusively digitally. It certainly won't be receiving the "limited edition" treatment.