Mike Matessino: "At least 5" new Williams releases due this year

Jay

Didn’t Mike say in the most recent podcast that he is working on a large non-Williams project?  If so, my prediction is a Godfather box set for the original film’s 50th anniversary.

• 1 month later...

A really great Williams release is coming this year. Several others are forthcoming in '23 and beyond. I have had the need to take a bit of a break in order to get caught up on personal things that were sidelined by a number of factors, including Covid and larger scale projects such as Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Fiddler on the Roof. In addition to the upcoming Williams release, I was involved with several others due out before end of year that I am very pleased with.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=149576&forumID=1&archive=0

On 04/02/2022 at 8:30 AM, Disco Stu said:

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

GIVE US! US AMISTAD!

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Can anyone remind me what is missing from the previous expansion?

Here you go!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34006-hook-30th-anniversary-double-vinyl-from-mondo-records-2021/&do=findComment&comment=1828547

The Varese edition was a premiere!

The 1998 Midway album was an all-new re-recording performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Rick Wentworth.

The actual cues for the film recorded by Williams were never available anywhere until that 2011 Varese album.  In 1976, there was a 45 RPM single released with 2 concert arrangements, which are the final 2 tracks of that 2011 Varese edition.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Varese edition was a premiere! 

I see. I wonder if there is any more material to make an expansion of.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We'll be able to cross them all off the list eventually!

I don't think we will EVER cross off the list any of the early film scores.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I see. I wonder if there is any more material to make an expansion of.

I thought that the 2011 Varese edition was complete ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't think we will EVER cross off the list any of the early film scores.

Especially for those early B movies, I'm guessing the elements are gone (but who knows!).  I'm still hopeful that all the scores from '65-ish on that can be done, will be.

Thor’s revelatory new podcast on JW’s TV work makes me yearn for a premium anthology of his formative television scoring years to appear someday. But the licensing and rights would surely be a nightmare, and that’s assuming the original elements are even available.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

In 1976, there was a 45 RPM single released with 2 concert arrangements, which are the final 2 tracks of that 2011 Varese edition.

Those 2 concert arrangements appeared for the first time on CD in 1993 on the album Film Works. There were also 2 other versions of this album (titled Filmworks) with only the Midway March included.

"A really great Williams release is coming this year. Several others are forthcoming in '23 and beyond. I have had the need to take a bit of a break in order to get caught up on personal things that were sidelined by a number of factors, including Covid and larger scale projects such as Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Fiddler on the Roof. In addition to the upcoming Williams release, I was involved with several others due out before end of year that I am very pleased with." - Mike Matessino

I CANNOT WAIT!

22 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Didn't it use film stem material for one or two tracks?

Sure, but that just means that it didn't all come from the same source, it doesn't necessarily mean it's incomplete. 

Wow... I was utterly convinced all signs pointed to Hook. This is surprising news... 

I guess if it's one of the other two titles, they missed the anniversary anyway so no great loss pushing it to next year. 

If... 

Superman and The Grinch were planned to be released in anniversary years but were delayed for various reasons, so that might not be a factor. Aren't there still 2 Sony titles LaLaLand had planned to release?

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think so... 

Apart from Hook are there any other JW scores that could potentially be one of those Sony titles?

5 minutes ago, Gibster said:

“Get in line”-SW and Indy fans

Already there :lol:

57 minutes ago, Gibster said:

What’s the most likely choice now? Witches Of Eastwick?

I'm hedging my bets on Amistad 25th Anniversary if it's not Hook. Probably has the most unreleased music of any pre-2005 film (40 minutes heard in the film, plus music unused in the final cut and who knows what alternates).

Or maybe they got a wildcard like Sugarland over the line, or something totally unexpected like a Disney or post-2005 score, or a big collection of music from his early Universal days. 

There's just not that many non-Disney or pre-2005 scores screaming out for an expansion...