John Williams "didn't collaborate" with Holt for Obi-Wan show, wrote the theme and a suite in 2 weeks

Not Mr. Big

1 minute ago, Tom said:

I don't want to be that guy again, but I think the target audience cares far less about JW than we tend to think, and the Disney people know this. I don't think we hear this theme until the premiere (though I would love to be wrong).  

IDK.  The John Williams Kenobi news was trending on Twitter the day it was announced.  I think a good number of non-film score fans care about John Williams Star Wars stuff

If they weren't bothered about john Williams  doing the theme I don't think we would have heard as much about it. Variety and the like ran the story. I can see them releasing the theme or suite before the premiere.  Like they did for Solo !

I was shocked when they released the Galaxy's Edge suite. I thought I'd be stuck for a decade straining to hear the unreleased bits playing in that SW Celebration video

59 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do you both think that if there was news all of JWFan would just be sitting on it waiting for someone to ask if there was news?

pavarotti-and-john-williams-1344004114-view-0.jpg

JW: Have we already announced that a recording of my new theme is available at…

LP: Psst! Let's keep it a secret!

The Twitter headline is not quite accurate.  Ewan says the experience of watching Williams conduct the theme was special. He does not comment on the theme itself, for whatever that is worth.  

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The Twitter headline is not quite accurate.  Ewan says the experience of watching Williams conduct the theme was special. He does not comment on the theme itself, for whatever that is worth.  

Well now we're just picking nits but definitely the way I hear it is he's saying the theme is "really special" and that it was "special" to hear it being recorded. That last bit didn't sound specifically in reference to just watching Williams conduct. 

Anyway I'm not worried about this music being good and don't have any reason to think McGregor didn't enjoy it. 

6 hours ago, Brando said:

She says she's a huge John Williams fan, I wonder if she ever visits this site OR is even on it...:huh:

I thought, apart from some bots dropping in from time to time there are no ladies around here.

I picked up elsewhere yesterday that Ewan McGregor thought that hanging around the social media was a waste of lifetime and he would prefer spending this time on other activities. He used to participate but has given up.

Natalie, if you're here, just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  Enjoy your stay.  Start posting and we'll take care of your reputation points.

18 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I guess, someone like Holt rather deals differently with her fandom.

Yes. She goes and gets a job and actually does it rather than just talk about it. Phhht. I mean, if you want to go the EASY way. ;)

9 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Yes. She goes and gets a job and actually does it rather than just talk about it. Phhht. I mean, if you want to go the EASY way. ;)

Yes. Wussy.

On 06/05/2022 at 10:08 PM, Tom said:

I don't want to be that guy again, but I think the target audience cares far less about JW than we tend to think, and the Disney people know this. I don't think we hear this theme until the premiere (though I would love to be wrong).  

I'm looking forward to hearing his theme and Holt's score but yes, I suspect that most people will just see this as a nice 'oh, neat, John Williams did the main titles' sort of thing at most, and I feel that's a proportionate reaction.

I can imagine perhaps the main title/whatever else he wrote being released as a digital EP alongside the album, maybe as a little promotion building ahead of the show.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, I want to hear the theme for the first time in the show. For that it was written, so I think, this will be the best way to experience it.

I understand that. However being a tv show will they have the full theme recorded over the opening credits? It will be a shortened version I would imagine. Hope I’m wrong though!

42 minutes ago, Antonb said:

I understand that. However being a tv show will they have the full theme recorded over the opening credits? It will be a shortened version I would imagine. Hope I’m wrong though!

It will be the "full main title", obviously. Which, knowing Williams, won't be the only fully composed version of the theme, and I expect the promised suite to be more substantial.

Which is why I kinda like hearing the main title version first, as a sort of teaser to the concert version that the suite probably is.

58 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I would be fine with that. Jedi Steps should have been more prominent feature in the sequel scores. That mysterious religious melancholy was magical.

Karol

There weren't enough narrative opportunities for it. JW did use it near the beginning of TLJ where it makes sense. Does it appear in TROS when Rey goes back? I don't remember.

The scoring of the establishment shot of the island before it cuts to Rey is arguably Jedi Steps-esque but it's a very slight resemblance if it's intentional. More of a vibe than a direct reference. 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I would be fine with that. Jedi Steps should have been more prominent feature in the sequel scores. That mysterious religious melancholy was magical.

But the original Jedi Steps lives and breathes because of its slow, gradual buildup. That's not something you can (or perhaps even should) easily apply to different sequences. I also don't think the concept would work for the main theme of a series.

I think it has this mystical, yet tad dark and ambiguous, tone would suit Luke's character quite well in this new trilogy. Was hoping it would become his theme.

Karol