SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

3rd time I'll have to buy this score! :lol:

2nd time for me ;)

first time GIF

Never heard any of it apart from a skip into Training Montage based on all the memes. But Monsignor and The River, the previous 2 unsung JW scores from Intrada with this arrangement, have worked their way to my heart quickly so...

5 more minutes. Really? *sigh*

For me it would be the third time as well to buy this score. The LP, the CD and now the 5-minute-expansion.

But for all zu those, who don't know this score yet, big recommendation.

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

5 more minutes. Really? *sigh*

For me it would be the third time as well to buy this score. The LP, the CD and now the 5-minute-expansion.

But for all zu those, who don't know this score yet, big recommendation.

Where are you getting the 5 minutes number from?

I have the previous Intrada release but haven't ever seen the movie or anything so I didn't know how much was missing.  I take it from the previous couple of comments, it's not much?

27 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

8 more minutes, including one particular highlight cue. Would you prefer the complete score never get released because there's so little to add? (Also, the film mixes are all totally unreleased and different from the Len Engel album mixes.)

Yavar

Where are you getting this number?  Have they announced a track list?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Where are you getting this number?  Have they announced a track list?

They have not, and no I don't have a tracklist either. But rest assured, the number is accurate. Maybe there was some music written for the film but unused in it.

Yavar

3 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's probably based on the great work done here by @BrotherSound

It is not. I communicate regularly with Doug and Roger at Intrada because of The Goldsmith Odyssey podcast, and occasionally I hear non-Goldsmith tidbits of info along the way.

Yavar

When Mike Matessino redo's a new Williams album he is able to the following main things:

- Restore the complete film sequence with the correct film

mixes (usually disc 1)

- Remasters the OST Program (with the original album mixes/

rebuild of the album from the original master tapes)(Disc 2)

- High Resolution transfer

- Adds alternates/bonuses.

So that’s why it’s a worthwhile endeavor even if the expansion is just 8-9 minutes. The whole thing is going to sound pristine. 

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Would you prefer the complete score never get released because there's so little to add?

Of course not. The previous releases are out of print. Therefore, any reissue is welcome. But for me personally it is not an easy choice for me to spend 35 € on a score that I bought already twice and I have 85% of the music already. 

Anyway, it is a great score.

40 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Of course not. The previous releases are out of print. Therefore, any reissue is welcome. But for me personally it is not an easy choice for me to spend 35 € on a score that I bought already twice and I have 85% of the music already. 

Anyway, it is a great score.

It's " an easy choice" for some folks😞😣😒

Update from Doug on his blog:

Yes, this one is a John Williams favorite of mine… and the rest of the gang here. SpaceCamp from 1986 has been available on Intrada before in its original 14-track album form but now arrives fully restored from new elements to its entire glory. And glory it is with one magnificent moment after another, culminating in one of the composer’s most exhilarating endings of an entire career of incomparable masterpieces. Yeah, I love those big endings! And fans of the original album can enjoy that program on a second CD. Mike Matessino has done Williams proud with the new masters and flipper cover art wraps everything up in a nice bow! In stock and yours to order this weekend!- Doug Fake

Well, it is certainly great news to have another Williams score Matessinoed and in the can. 😀 I've got the previous Intrada edition and heard it only once. Perhaps this new edition will help me to get into this score.

Karol

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've neven been much taken by this score, so I never purchased it. I'll consider getting it this time.

It's an interesting score. It won't go down in JW history as one of the greats, but I look upon it as a transitional work, in-between the in-yer-face TEMPLE OF DOOM, and the more (mostly) serene scores of '87-'88. After SPACECAMP, there was a definite sea-change, in his compositional style, and it's another score that JW composed almost as a favour to a friend.

This C&C is, definitely, worth getting.

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

It is a brilliant score for a bad film.

I simply LOVE the film! I had worn out the tape in my childhood. Now, I have it on blu-ray. :rock: